Refilling LP tanks

Closed Thread
Old 06-29-2022, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
A change made in 2009; basically shrinkflation. "Filled" the tanks with less fuel in order to maintain price when the cost of propane was increasing. When the cost of propane came back down - no change in price or practice.

Refilling should be cheaper than exchange(anyone have real numbers?) but exchange is definitely more convenient.
I agree that Blue Rhino and Amerigas used shrinkflation to keep same price but deliver less LPG.

A previous poster asked "Pressure less with less weight?". The answer is no. The pressure is the vapor pressure of the stored pressurized liquid at the storage temperature..

For those that like numbers:

LPG max fill is 80% 0f the tank volume to allow for liquid expansion from typical ambient temperature to the vapor pressure at the LPG tank pressure relief set point.

So in a 5 gal LPG tank with LPG weighing 4.23 lbs per gallon the weight of the LPG is = 5gal * 0.8 fill times 4.23 lbs per gallon = 16.92 lbs which was the original fill.

The 15 lb shrinkflation results in a ~ 2LB LPG loss or about 11.3%

Based on what I have seen at refillers, the refillers have a set price per gal delivered and measure the actual gallons delivered into the tank since they will fill a partially filled tank on a scale to avoid overfilling past the 80% limit.
Old 06-29-2022, 06:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
Does BJ's fill the tanks there or just exchange them??
They just sell EMPTY tanks. You have to fill them elsewhere.

I don't exchange mine, I refill it at ACE because they charge by the POUND (yes, they weigh it) not by the FULL TANK and the tank I bought years ago at Sams has an actual gauge on it which is somewhat accurate. Up north if it was half-empty (or half-full ) they charged for a full tank, same when you exchange it. At ACE you pay for only what you need (like Liberty Mutual). Last time it was just $9, another time $17.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 06-29-2022, 06:17 PM

Don’t exchange. It’s a ripoff. They don’t fill up your tank but charge you for a full tank. Any Ace Hardware will refill it.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecmo View Post
I could be wrong but I don't think any of the places mentioned exchange 20 gallon tanks. I've never seen that anywhere. A full 20 gallon tank is heavy! Do you have the means to wrestle that in your car/van/suv?

How much LP does your pizza oven use for a normal cook? If less than 5 gallons I would consider just getting a couple 5 gallon tanks and exchanging those.
Bluerhino.com/delivery will come to you and do an exchange. It will cost more but is convenient.

I use ACE in wildwood to refill my tanks. Oftentimes my tank isn’t empty so an exchange would be a waste. I hate running out of gas in the middle of grilling. No spare tank.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:51 AM

I have a tank for sale $30. Good condition and partially filled. You can take a look and decide. Good deal for $30.00
Djfelt66@gmail.com
Old 06-30-2022, 05:06 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkerr View Post
Don’t exchange. It’s a ripoff. They don’t fill up your tank but charge you for a full tank. Any Ace Hardware will refill it.
Most Ace Hardware stores refill but not the Ace on 441 at Avenida Central. I went over there on a Sunday ( because the Ace on Wedgewood is closed) ASSUMING they filled LP tanks and left very disappointed!
Old 06-30-2022, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpaVader View Post
We recently bought a Pizza Oven for the patio. It uses a 20 gallon LP Tank, but didn't come with one. Looking at BJ's they want $50 for a new empty tank. Questions are:

1) If I buy this where around here can I get them filled?
2) Am I better off just going to an exchange and getting one there and paying the deposit on it?

Thanks
If you're a Veteran use your 10% discount at Lowes for the tank and refills.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:19 AM
Veteran member

coffeebean....10 years is the max for propane tanks for safety. I hope yours doesn't explode.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:34 AM
Veteran member

I think Home Depot charges less $ for new 20 lb. tanks . Refill at Ace Hardware . Exchange tanks are less than full, making it a poor value.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
coffeebean....10 years is the max for propane tanks for safety. I hope yours doesn't explode.
10 years is the max for the tanks BEFORE RECERTIFICATION. A visual recertification by an authorized provider is good for another 5 years. I don't know if there is any limit on the number of visual recertifications that can be performed.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 06-30-2022, 05:57 AM

Quote:
We recently bought a Pizza Oven for the patio. It uses a 20 gallon LP Tank, but didn't come with one. Looking at BJ's they want $50 for a new empty tank. Questions are:

2) Am I better off just going to an exchange and getting one there and paying the deposit on it?

Thanks
Please see attached link. Prices are near end of articles.

Where To Fill Propane Tank For Grill - GrillProClub.com
Old 06-30-2022, 05:59 AM

Most standard Tanks are 20 lbs, 30 lbs and 100 lbs not gallons. It’s less than 30 lbs for Full a 20 lb tank!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
John Stuart Mill
Old 06-30-2022, 06:08 AM

Quote:
A change made in 2009; basically shrinkflation. "Filled" the tanks with less fuel in order to maintain price when the cost of propane was increasing. When the cost of propane came back down - no change in price or practice.

Refilling should be cheaper than exchange(anyone have real numbers?) but exchange is definitely more convenient.
That is not true. Tanks are filled by weight and have an OPV valve to prevent overfill. The valve was the big change and it wasn't for "shrinkflation", it was for safety.
Old 06-30-2022, 06:09 AM

Quote:
10 years is the max for the tanks BEFORE RECERTIFICATION. A visual recertification by an authorized provider is good for another 5 years. I don't know if there is any limit on the number of visual recertifications that can be performed.
The original certification is for 12 years and 5 for every recertification after. They can be recertified more than once
Old 06-30-2022, 06:11 AM
Default Got One at Ace Hardware Yesterday

Quote:

Thanks
I just picked up a new tank and had it filled at the Ace Hardware on 301 just North of 44. It was about $70 complete and it took all of 5 minutes to get it all done. They also have exchanges there if that's the way you want to go.
Closed Thread

Tags
tank, filled, refilling, exchange, paying

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.