Regarding SECO Electirc Boxes

Closed Thread
Old 11-17-2010, 08:35 PM
Default Regarding SECO Electirc Boxes

in back yards, a friend of mine was visited today by a SECO representative who
informed him that his trees and shrubs were too close to his box and would have to be moved to a distance of ten feet from box. He's upset because he's seen lots of homes around the villages where plants, etc are right up against the box, and his shrubs are about 5 feet away in his small yard. Anyone know anything about this issue and how enforcable the rule is? Thanks.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Here is information directly from SECO's web site......its 3 foot around the box and 10 foot in front of the box (door). I dont know the legal cite for their authority but I have always known they do have and need access rights to their equipment be it utility boxes on our property or utility lines. If you check your deed plot, you will probably find a "restrictive" zone or easement around the box . Its enforceable.

Clearances for underground service equipment
Newer developments typically have underground electric service coming from a green transformer box. If you want to surround the box with a fence or shrubs, you must maintain safe and easy access for our maintenance work. To help us avoid removing or damaging your landscaping, make sure you have a clearance of 3 feet on each side of our equipment and 10 feet to the front (where the lock is located). Placement diagram from electric service

Last edited by 784caroline; 11-17-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:00 AM
Veteran member
Default *

It's called a "rite-of-way". The troubleshooter/linemen need a safe distance to operate the equipment in the transformer. The transformers convert 7,200-14,100 volts(distribution voltage) to 120/240 volts(house voltage). When working on that kind voltage, the last thing I want to do is have foliage in my face or trip over a bush. If it is in the way, we would rip it out of the ground. Do you want electric or foliage?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.