Remote control boats

Old 03-02-2024, 08:25 AM
Default Remote control boats

Are there remote control (fast) boat friendly ponds either in or outside of the Villages? I know that there are clubs in the Villages that have organized testing and racing and I intend to join them.
What I’m looking for are places that on a nice day I can check out my equipment, get some practice and just enjoy the day.
Appreciate your time.
Old 03-02-2024, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,830 Times in 5,298 Posts

I think the pond behind the La Hacienda rec center is a popular place for remote control boats.

I would suggest that you get the free Villages app, click on Calendar, and search for boat races. You will see lots of activities for remote control boating and the locations.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 03-02-2024 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-02-2024, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioViper View Post
Are there remote control (fast) boat friendly ponds either in or outside of the Villages? I know that there are clubs in the Villages that have organized testing and racing and I intend to join them.
What I’m looking for are places that on a nice day I can check out my equipment, get some practice and just enjoy the day.
Appreciate your time.
There is a pond with a dock at Everglades Rec Center that is used for RC boat racing.
Old 03-02-2024, 11:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,818 Times in 1,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenneyFanatic View Post
There is a pond with a dock at Everglades Rec Center that is used for RC boat racing.
And one being added at Eastport.

The RC sailboats are fun to watch also. Think I've seen them across from the Bonita Pool a couple off years ago.
Old 03-02-2024, 04:50 PM

I’ve seen RC Sailboats in the pond by Ashland pool.
Old 03-02-2024, 09:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,988 Times in 2,492 Posts

Any retention pond that has water and public access.
Old 03-03-2024, 06:42 AM

Checkout Castaways RC Boatworx. They run RC boats at Mira Mar pond(in spanish springs, Tues and Thurs) and at the Evergades rec center (Mon and Wed). 9-11am. Lots of helpful experts for those new to this sport, plus they run rescue boats- very helpful if..actually when…you flip your boat. Castaways Boat Worx – Fast Electric RC Boat Club
Old 03-03-2024, 08:57 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,416 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Any retention pond that has water and public access.
Along with water moccasins and alligators, not worth the risk.
Old 03-03-2024, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Along with water moccasins and alligators, not worth the risk.
That would mean all pond in the villages are unsafe as wildlife has access to all ponds.
With a bit of care, and common sense, risk is minimal.
Old 03-03-2024, 11:48 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,416 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesimonsaid View Post
That would mean all pond in the villages are unsafe as wildlife has access to all ponds.
With a bit of care, and common sense, risk is minimal.
The snakes are well concealed and in some cases the alligators are also, the risk is more than minimal and yes all ponds that are not maintained for public use are unsafe especially for pets and children. The OP should play it safe and use the ponds that are set up for RC boats, there are several and they are not heavily used.
Old 03-03-2024, 12:15 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioViper View Post
Appreciate your time.
Best advice so far is Jay's post #7. I'll add that we have heat racing on the first and third Saturdays in Fruitland Park.

Otherwise, you may be limited. If you are testing fast electric boats with surface piercing props, then the speed and commotion may cause lakefront residents to complain. Best bet is to use Lake Mira Mar in Spanish springs in the afternoons when the electric and sailboat folks have left. Please be mindful of the ducks. They have the right of way.
Old 03-03-2024, 02:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,818 Times in 1,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
The snakes are well concealed and in some cases the alligators are also, the risk is more than minimal and yes all ponds that are not maintained for public use are unsafe especially for pets and children. The OP should play it safe and use the ponds that are set up for RC boats, there are several and they are not heavily used.
Good advise. The groups have recovery boats to help fish out RC boats that can't make it back on their own.

The snakes love to nap during the day in the high grass they use around ponds.

More than one RC Boat has been chomped on by a gater.

Tags
control, day, villages, remote, places

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.