Rental Advice

Closed Thread
Old 01-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Default Rental Advice

Hello everyone,

I’ve been spending quite a bit of time on this forum and really appreciate the time everyone takes to help their fellow TOTV members. I have to ask for your indulgence one more time.

As I’ve indicated in previous posts, we purchased a lot in Fernandina last month with the intent on building prior to the end of November 2012. Our original idea was to place this home in the rental pool with a local property management company in time to take advantage of the January and forward 2013 rental season. When I performed a search for “Rental Property Management Companies” on this forum I was shocked to see all the negative posts on the local management companies. It seems that many of the members have moved away from a professional management company and are managing the rental process on their own. We live in Southern California and would prefer not to take on this process on our own – especially during the first year we have the home in the rental market.

1) Has anyone had a positive experience from a local management company? (I’m hoping that only the bad ones were mentioned in these previous posts).

2) Are there any other resources I can use to assist with the rental process if in fact I can’t find an acceptable management company?

We’ll be in TV next month and would like to meet with a few companies/resources to get a better understanding of our next steps.

Thanks again everyone,
AlanC
Old 01-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Veteran member

Keep in mind, if you use a management company and you want to use the house, you may have to pay them their percentage anyway for using it. Ask this question when you interview them. I have a rental right next door and manage it myself. I understand your dilemma though being from California.
There's also a 9% Florida tax that will have to be paid on all rent but your company should take care of that.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borjo View Post
Keep in mind, if you use a management company and you want to use the house, you may have to pay them their percentage anyway for using it. Ask this question when you interview them. I have a rental right next door and manage it myself. I understand your dilemma though being from California.
There's also a 9% Florida tax that will have to be paid on all rent but your company should take care of that.
Thanks borjo -- that's good to know.

Any other advice to my OP from other TOTV members would be great. I'd like to contact a couple of management companies before we come down next month.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Platinum member

I had awful experiences with Villages Property Mgt. and horrendous problems with JD Mgt. I've written posts about this previously.

Now I'm very happy with the small management company which takes care of my home and my guests. You can PM me for the contact and I will be glad to share lots of other details if you are interested.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:31 AM

Thanks ijusluvit,
I'll send you a PM tomorrow morning.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:05 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

The only management company who charges you to use your own home is The Villages PM. Try Vilas Hinkle, she does PM and is very good. 352-753-0016.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:54 AM

We've had two homes in TV since 2003 and have rented both of them ourselves fom Georgia, We use www.****.com to advertise, and I can send your the name of a great cleaning Co.

We have a number key pad on the front door so we don't have to mail keys. Those are inside with the garage opener etc. The cleaners change the key pad number for us after each guest. It all works out great, if you have the right people looking after things.

Send me a pm if you want to talk.

U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service

Senior Firearms Instructor,
Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC)
Glynco, GA
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.