Rental contract document (examples)

Old 04-16-2024, 11:02 AM
Default Rental contract document (examples)

Hi all,
I searched this forum but can't find any good samples of rental agreement contracts that include clauses specific to The Villages such as pet, golf cart, etc.

I think similar questions have been asked in the past, but other than googling a PDF fill-in contract, nothing good...

Feel free to e-mail me any working samples directly
drhitch54@gmail...

Thanks
Old 04-17-2024, 11:01 AM

I would strongly suggest you bite the bullet and hire an attorney. Incorporate the fees of the attorney into the rental agreement.

You are on the hook for any mistakes, errors or oversights in the rental agreement. And the renter can always hire their attorney to exploit any loopholes.

A TV real estate law firm should have a boilerplate with much of the necessary language (saves a bit of money) and add any provisions, stipulations or caveats that you would require to protect your home.

IMO--there is way to much property at play to rely on an internet template to save a few hundred dollars.
Old 04-17-2024, 11:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,756 Times in 5,259 Posts

OP, you mentioned a pet and golf cart in your post. If you want to prevent a dog from living in your house, there is really no way to do this with a lease. A tenant can bring a dog and tell you that it is a service animal and they are protected by a very strict ADA Federal law. You can't even charge extra for a service animal. Also, I would not allow a renter to use a golf cart that you own because of potential liability, and a lease will not help much.
Old 04-17-2024, 11:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
OP, you mentioned a pet and golf cart in your post. If you want to prevent a dog from living in your house, there is really no way to do this with a lease. A tenant can bring a dog and tell you that it is a service animal and they are protected by a very strict ADA Federal law. You can't even charge extra for a service animal. Also, I would not allow a renter to use a golf cart that you own because of potential liability, and a lease will not help much.
This could be whole new thread. Everybody seems to have a ‘service’ or ‘therapy’ animal. Is there an actual certification or documentation that separates fact from fiction on this?
Agree on golf cart
Old 04-17-2024, 11:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,756 Times in 5,259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
This could be whole new thread. Everybody seems to have a ‘service’ or ‘therapy’ animal. Is there an actual certification or documentation that separates fact from fiction on this?
Agree on golf cart
According to Federal law, no certification or documentation is required for a service animal. Do a search for other threads on this topic.
Old 04-17-2024, 11:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgowan13 View Post
I would strongly suggest you bite the bullet and hire an attorney. Incorporate the fees of the attorney into the rental agreement.

You are on the hook for any mistakes, errors or oversights in the rental agreement. And the renter can always hire their attorney to exploit any loopholes.

A TV real estate law firm should have a boilerplate with much of the necessary language (saves a bit of money) and add any provisions, stipulations or caveats that you would require to protect your home.

IMO--there is way to much property at play to rely on an internet template to save a few hundred dollars.
True. Could definitely add additional language to an existing document but if you’re new to this, always better to do due diligence with a professional. More so for the back end of it should things go wrong
Old 04-17-2024, 12:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,797 Times in 1,256 Posts

It's also probably wise to have someone run a background check on the renters of they are not known to you.
Old 04-17-2024, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHitch View Post
Hi all,
I searched this forum but can't find any good samples of rental agreement contracts that include clauses specific to The Villages such as pet, golf cart, etc.

I think similar questions have been asked in the past, but other than googling a PDF fill-in contract, nothing good...

Feel free to e-mail me any working samples directly
drhitch54@gmail...

Thanks
I have rented at least five different properties in TV over the last 6 years. Some for my wife and I before we bought our house and a number since for family visits. While the agreements were all different, they generally contained the same information. I would not feel comfortable giving out any of these without the owner's permission but I can tell you they clearly were not written by a lawyer. I did have to provide a copy of my driver's license. I am not aware of any owner running a background or credit check but they may have. I never rented through a property management company but some people in TV use them. They no doubt will run a background check and credit check. Also, FYI only, I only rented one property that did not include a golf cart (our first rental) and I would not do it again. Besides, almost all of your competitors will offer a cart.
Old 04-17-2024, 02:22 PM
Veteran member

In the past, I have found the products by Nolo Press (a Law For Dummies type practice prior to Legal Zoom), and I have used the lease provided to rent out my property. In addition to the boilerplate stuff, it had clauses I never would have thought of, like advising tenants of the uncontrollability (and thus your lack of liability) for effects of second hand smoke from other nearby tenants.

Residential Lease Agreement - Nolo

Another option is creating your lease, with input from legal minds, via Legal Zoom:
Residential Lease Agreement Template - Create a Rental Agreement Online | LegalZoom
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current

Last edited by ElDiabloJoe; 04-17-2024 at 02:28 PM.

Tags
rental, contract, good, samples, free

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.