Renting B4 Buying--Orientation Question

Closed Thread
Old 06-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Default Renting B4 Buying--Orientation Question

My wife, Jennie, and I are getting the house ready to sell this summer. Based on the recommendations we have read here in TOV, we plan to rent in TV for 6 to 12 mos., or so, before buying in order hopefully to make the best decision for us as to location, style of house, etc.

Our question is: Are long term rental residents (who plan to buy) eligible or entitled to attend "New Resident Orientations"?

I can not seem to find a definitive answer and would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks to all of our soon to be "Frog Friends" who care to answer.

John
Old 06-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Bosoxfan

What do you mean by "New Resident Orientation"? There is a Newcomer Social that is for new homeowners only.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Our house is just over a year old and never had new resident orientation. When you buy you have a closing here or by mail, Then one year inspection and that it. Everything else is easy
Old 06-11-2012, 07:24 PM
Gold member
Location: Northfield IL, Tampa FL, Norway, Boynton Beach FL, Highland Park IL, Gilchrist soon!

Are you perhaps referring to the Lifestyle Preview Plan? Mostly it is addressed as the LSV (lifestyle Visit) here on the forum. That is where you can live in a cabana house for up to 10 or 14 days, I think, at 100 or so per day and can attend and have use of most everything available to residents. I just recently did that in May and ended up purchasing a lot to build on. If you are in a rental, I believe there is a visitor pass of some sort your lessor can get for you. I would contact a village sales agent to show you the different models and answer any questions you may have. Hope this helped! And enjoy your visit!

Wherever I am is where I'm supposed to be
Old 06-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

The newcomer orientation is when you buy a home.
I'm sure if you ask a real estate rep, they can manage to get you in though.
It's not all that great, but it's ok. Mostly local govt. types and the learning college, etc. just telling you things to expect.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:08 PM

Thanks JohnN and all the others who replied...BTW, I am a John N...too

John
Old 06-12-2012, 04:33 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

John, consider this idea. It will cost a bit more and a little more hassle, but is a far superior way to decide what type home and where you want to buy. I would rent several different homes a month at a time. One near Spanish Springs, one near Lake Sumter Landing, one as far South as I could find. I would try a ranch, a designer and a Court Yard Villa. And maybe something else near where I thought I wanted to be once I had done the first three. By the end of 3 to 4 months you will know exactly the type home and location you really want.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-Top View Post
My wife, Jennie, and I are getting the house ready to sell this summer. Based on the recommendations we have read here in TOV, we plan to rent in TV for 6 to 12 mos., or so, before buying in order hopefully to make the best decision for us as to location, style of house, etc.

Our question is: Are long term rental residents (who plan to buy) eligible or entitled to attend "New Resident Orientations"?

I can not seem to find a definitive answer and would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks to all of our soon to be "Frog Friends" who care to answer.

John
I assume you have already taken the lifestyle visit? If not you should..and don't be afraid. NO PRESSURE. You don't even have to see a sales rep and they won't even contact you. The place sells itself, they don't have to.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodgirl View Post
Are you perhaps referring to the Lifestyle Preview Plan? Mostly it is addressed as the LSV (lifestyle Visit) here on the forum. That is where you can live in a cabana house for up to 10 or 14 days, I think, at 100 or so per day and can attend and have use of most everything available to residents. I just recently did that in May and ended up purchasing a lot to build on. If you are in a rental, I believe there is a visitor pass of some sort your lessor can get for you. I would contact a village sales agent to show you the different models and answer any questions you may have. Hope this helped! And enjoy your visit!
That's what I was thinking they meant........the Lifestyle Visit.
We were never told it could extend to 14 days.**

Ours was $125 x 4 days.

It was 4 days in a Designer Home (3 bedroom, 2 bath with Roman shower) in Creekside Landing on Merryweather Way....very close to Lake Sumter Landing and the Waterfront Inn. A golf cart and 2 bikes were in the garage. Very nice. Oversized back property with white picket fence.
Nice sized residential lanai. Very comfy setting.

They might opt to do that prior to their planned rental of the home.

We got very little in the way of "tickets"......one to the Savannah Center for the night we arrived (too exhausted to attend) and several 10% off discounts for eating in nearby restaurants coupons.

**We left after the 4 day LV and rented for one month from a private owner. Another beautiful pool home on a golf course.

It literally took a month to unwind and scope out the entire area..........memorizing where each village was........so it is a great idea for them to rent for six months prior to purchasing. This way they will not be rushed into anything. Makes a lot of sense.

They can leisurely "decide" rather than rush into buying and repenting at leisure. Or, "buyers remorse" as it is often called.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:23 AM
Platinum member

There is an orientation session that explains the governing structure of The Villages. Covers bonds, recreational fees, districts and the like. I attended this session as a renter.

That which does not destroy you, makes you stronger- Nietzsche
Old 06-12-2012, 07:30 AM
Sage

There are various types of "orientation" sessions offered. Here's a prior thread on the topic - refer to posts 2, 3, and 4 for descriptions/info on the three different ones:

New Resident orientation

Bill
Old 06-12-2012, 08:29 AM

Thanx again to all who have replied! We have actually made three short Life Style visits...enough to convince us that we wanted what the Villages has to offer. After reading many posts here on TOTV, we have come to believe that to really know all of the areas and options, we just need to live here for awhile before making the final purchasing decision as several have agreed in reply to this thread.

Again. thanks again to every one who took time to reply to our post. Jennie and I are excited and can not wait to be there with all of you.

John & Jennie
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.