Renting verse Buying

Closed Thread
Old 06-22-2021, 09:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

The bigger question might be WHERE in The Villages might you want to buy or rent? Most people don’t realize that The Villages is already several miles longer from north to where they’re currently building than the City of Chicago! And like any big city, people tend to shop, eat out, entertain themselves, in the neighborhood near where they live. You wouldn’t even think about living in Marsh Bend or Chitty Chatty and zipping down to Spanish Springs for an ice cream cone at Kilwins or playing golf at one of the excellent ‘north end’ courses. Make certain you like the shopping, restaurants and infrastructure near where you choose to live in The Villages.
Old 06-23-2021, 05:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,686 Times in 972 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRMACK55 View Post
Stay away from any service that has the villages in it as it’s very expensive and lousy management. I used the villages rental company the plumbing exploded and they tried to steal my $500- deposit.

Don’t buy if you’re looking to sein and do things for a few months. Rent north of 44 and remember that if you think of buying keep in mind the weather from April to October is insufferable the hest humidity the bugs and the mediocre food. Also look at other places that are cheaper around the area it is very expensive to rent here the costs and fees. I bought and regret it everyday.
If you regret your decision to buy, it seems like a perfect opportunity to undo that mistake, and make a nice bundle of cash and find a location more to your liking, no?
Old 06-23-2021, 07:47 AM

Rent but peak times of Jan Feb and March are expensive and most owners won't break up the 3 months. If you decide to buy you can have the property managed for a fee when you rent it out. Prices are very high right now.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
All true, but you there's something to be said about returning to your own place, whenever you want...

We rented last Winter (while shopping for a home) and I always felt like I was staying in a slightly larger hotel room, without the maid service or a coffee shop...

We bought, knowing that for the next few years, we would only be using our place sporadically. And that's fine with us... It already feels like home...
Yes, that something when you return is called maintenance work

Another thing about renting is, you can change your mind from year to year. If you want to go to some other place, you can do that. You can stay 1 year in TV, the next along the coast, the 3rd in the mountains, etc. And if your circumstances make it difficult to travel that year, you can just stay home. If something breaks, or needs maintenance it's the landlords problem, not yours.

Having said all of this, my wife bought a house in TV in 2019
We are very happy with our purchase, so no regrets. We love TV. So yeah, she said there is something about having your own place ............but it's not choice, less maintenance, convenience, or saving money.
Old 06-23-2021, 02:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronda View Post
Yes, that something when you return is called maintenance work

Another thing about renting is, you can change your mind from year to year. If you want to go to some other place, you can do that. You can stay 1 year in TV, the next along the coast, the 3rd in the mountains, etc. And if your circumstances make it difficult to travel that year, you can just stay home. If something breaks, or needs maintenance it's the landlords problem, not yours.

Having said all of this, my wife bought a house in TV in 2019
We are very happy with our purchase, so no regrets. We love TV. So yeah, she said there is something about having your own place ............but it's not choice, less maintenance, convenience, or saving money.
I never said there was no maintenance...

In fact, IIRC, I agreed with the poster who mentioned underestimating the additional costs in owning a house...

-Tom Petty
Old 06-23-2021, 06:59 PM

I know J., I meant no offense, just trying to be "entertaining/clever".
All the best.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronda View Post
I know J., I meant no offense, just trying to be "entertaining/clever".
All the best.
Absolutely none taken!

The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
months, winter, rent, pool, path

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.