Anyone ever shipped bicylces?

Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2010, 09:41 AM
Sage
Default Anyone ever shipped bicylces?

I'd like to get my two bikes to FLA to use during my visits next year. I don't mind leaving them in TV so I just need to ship from MA to FLA one time.

Have you ever done this? Cost? What shipper?

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2010, 09:50 AM
Platinum member

Bikes as the ones you pedel or bikes like Harley's or other motorized two wheel vehicles. I am having my Mini- Cooper shipped from NY $745
Old 10-23-2010, 10:01 AM
Sage

Sorry - bicycles.

Not sure I want to buy new ones. But I may go that route since my current ones are getting old and are very middle of the road (pun) quality.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Sage

I'm sure you have considered this. Just a thought.

Would it be more advantages to sell and put that money towards buying new bicycles?

Would it be cost effective to ship or buy new ones?

I'm probably wrong to even post an obvious thought.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:23 AM
Platinum member

2BNTV said- Would it be more advantages to sell and put that money towards buying new bicycles?

These days when you try to sell anything the price you canget is not close to the value. My suggestion is "If Russ was in such good shape, perhaps he ride his bike to Florida." It would be a great workout.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:41 AM

Do have some experience in this area, and I agree with the other posters - if the bikes are old and not in the high-end price range, you're better off getting new ones here. If you do want to ship them, most high-end bike shops will give you a bike carton, just for the asking. Then you'll have to take your bike apart (remove handlebars, seat, peddles, etc.) and wash everything very carefully especially if you're moving from a Gypsy-moth area. Then take to FedEx or UPS or have them pick up. Shipping should run $35-$50 each plus insurance.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:46 AM
Sage

Thanks - It's a tough call - The bikes are not high end (perhaps $300-350 to replace each). But I'm thinking I may want a little bit better.

Last edited by Russ_Boston; 10-23-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Waiting to see what Larry and Linda have to say. They own two bicycle stores in the DC area.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Driving down or consider taking the car train? How about a bike rack? That would probably be the best way to get them here.

Russ, if you upgrade, what are you considering getting and why? Remember, Florida is pretty flat and you have to be a pretty avid rider to ride in the middle of the day during much of the year. So, that leaves you riding in the morning and evenings on pretty easy roads most of the time. You planning to race or ride centuries? Lots of off-road riding? In other words, if you're planning to do regular riding in and around TV, I can't think of a reason to upgrade if you like your bikes. Of course, it is a good excuse to get new bikes. I know I would use any excuse to get a new bike back in the day.

So, find out the cost of shipping via UPS, FedEx freight, USPS or maybe just add them to whatever conveyance you're going to use to ship your other stuff down here. If you're flying, check with your airline and see how much they will charge to add them to your luggage. I know I did that to get my bike to Bali many moons ago -- it was $75.00 back then (R/T). You will have to crate and clean them.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-23-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I know I did that to get my bike to Bali many moons ago
Are you Julia Roberts?
Old 10-23-2010, 01:51 PM
Sage

If you are used to riding $300 bikes up north, they will do fine in TV.

We shipped our $500 hybreds from Cal with our furniture etc and ride them all the time. Also, we bought two Mtn Bikes at TV garage sales for $35 and $45 for guests and those work well too. The $45 bike was nearly brand new - the lady who bought it decided she didn't like bikes with gears (she probably paid around $150 for it)

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)

Last edited by chuckinca; 10-23-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I'm with Chuck, you can probably find some really nice deals on used bikes here in TV.....gn
Old 10-23-2010, 05:18 PM

If you have someone flying down to visit, the bikes can go in a bike box (?price) for $50 excess baggage charge each on most airlines.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
I'd like to get my two bikes to FLA to use during my visits next year. I don't mind leaving them in TV so I just need to ship from MA to FLA one time.

Have you ever done this? Cost? What shipper?

Thanks!
Hi Russ, I did some research as we're coming for month of March (maybe we'll buy our piece of dirt then ). You can buy bikes boxes on the Internet - expensive! CAGirl may have the best idea - go to bike shop. Then I tried to price shipping at FedEx, etc on the Internet and got nowhere. I know we don't want to carry them on our bike rack as it's very inconvenient if you want to stop on the way down to sightsee or whatever. The plane route might be the cheapest if it's $50. Village Cycles is a great shop and rents by the day, wk, etc if you really want to ride. That's the option we're going for. They may even give you credit toward purchase on rental???
Old 10-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Sage

Whenever we drive down to FL., it seems like half the cars on the interstate have multiple bicycle racks on them. Yes, I'm just one state away, but I notice license plates from all across the country carrying family bicycles on their FL trips.

Although I used to own an expensive touring Trek for long-distance rides in hilly terrain, I agree with Red that $300 bikes would prove more than adequate for Florida terrain and casual riding.

That said, there is another consideration. The gear shifts on the new bicycles are nicer than the older ones. You don't have to judge how far to move the stick for a certain gear. So if you're looking for an excuse to get new bicycles, I offering that one.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.