Restaurant surcharges

Closed Thread
Old 02-13-2014, 07:34 AM

Airlines charge a fuel surcharge, cruise lines charge a fuel charge and their up front about, so what's the big deal about a restaurant being up front about a AFC charge? I'll still go there, and because their honest about it and don't try to hide it.

U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service

Senior Firearms Instructor,
Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC)
Glynco, GA
Old 02-13-2014, 07:48 AM
Veteran member

It is without question a political statement .... my level of future patronage will be a similar one.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
"...We are slowly going form the Friendliest place in the world to the most nickel and dimed place in the world...."

My favorite subject in all it's glory. Taking an isolated incident and reporting it as a general condition.. REALLY? ......what the does that have to do with our life style? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!

Another attempt at using the technique of making a banquet out of a ham sandwich. Must be an ex-media reporter!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
That is not what I said. The point was obviously missed.
I get your point and agree with it. Isolated incidents are often used to justify a comment that our lifestyle in general is deteriorating. Usually accompanied by the comment "Sure doesn't seem like Florida's friendliest home town".
Old 02-13-2014, 10:05 AM
Veteran member

Surcharges are sometimes applied by certain businesses to reflect temporary price increases due to temporary economic conditions rather than reprice their products or services temporarily. We are all familiar with fuel surcharges.

Normal business costs are just typically embedded in the price of the service or product. In the case of a restaurant, the cost of the meal.

It is political grandstanding by some restaurants. They may be hoping to spur anger from customers for their political goals (sign of protest).

Bottom line, it is spurring anger from customers alright.... But the anger is targeted at the restaurants more than anything else.

Some of the restaurants that did it, ended up back peddled quickly as they began losing business from irate customers because of the surcharge.

Why are those customers angry? Various reasons. Some recognize it for what it is. There are probably as many angry on each side of the political boundary. Some because they do not like the law, others because they know the restaurant is attempting to manipulate them.

Still, quite a number surmise... If you are going to charge me more, I will go somewhere where there is no surcharge.

Most large businesses are saavy enough to avoid that sort controversy out of fear of losing business permanently. They would consider it to be a public relations nightmare. Bottom line; Nothing to gain, but will probably lose some customers permanently that feel strongly about it!
Old 02-13-2014, 10:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyMooreRN View Post
I am not sure how they are going to "get away with not giving medical coverage". I have heard most companies are actually cutting hours of all of the part-time employees so they don't meet the quota of needed hours for the month. Hiring more staff-but at less required hours= not having the employer contribute to any health care plan. I didn't read the article--but maybe I am still confused like most people regarding this subject.

I will share I met with someone recently- explained to me she wanted to have a colonoscopy due to family history of colon cancer. She was not working and had no health insurance. She was told she didn't qualify for Obamacare and was too young for Medicare (60). She made too much for Medicaid. Sad--all she wanted was a screening to prevent a possible cancer. She actually said "I guess if I have colon cancer by the time I get Medicare, it will be too late."
Perchance I was not clear in my statement. What I meant was Gators Dockside was not going to change their employees to part time in order not to give medical insurance. This is a good thing for Gators Dockside.

In regards to the person wanting a colonoscopy who did not have health insurance - not working and told she did not qualify for ACA? Why not? She made too much for Medicaid and not working?

If she was so anxious for the colonoscopy and "made too much for Medicaid", why not pay for it out of pocket? I believe the going price is about $1500. Definitely worth it if so worried.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Another reason to raise prices is coming soon.

With the cost of food at the grocery, I am looking for some higher prices at the local restaurants here. Just makes common sense. We are really lucky to have such low prices for menu items. But it can't last forever.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:42 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
That's exactly right, and I won't be going back to Gators as long as they keep this blatant politically motivated policy in place. Shame on the Gators management!
I'm out too. I think that they should have done a gradual price increase but not have customers blatantly subsidize their workforce.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:59 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottomjs View Post
Re: Gator Article in the Briefs, Feb 12, The Daily Sun

I am so glad that Gators restaurant management decided they didn’t want to lay off any workers because of Obamcare, so instead they are going to make their customers pay for it by adding a 1% percent surcharge to every bill.
Are they kidding me?

Isn’t it bad enough United Healthcare no longer pays Medicare premiums for supplemental insurance in Marion, Sumter and Lake Counties so they can be the sole healthcare provider in the health centers in he Villages (that money now being paid to The Villages as a fee for the privilege). This little “fee’ change added around $96 more taken out of everyone’s social security check who resides in those counties. Somehow that doesn’t seem legal to me o at least fair. Why should we pay for a privilege that benefits them?
Are we now to be faced with surcharges and additional fees at restaurants and other establishments to help defray medical costs? .
How about we agree to Boycott any establishment that puts a surcharge on their bill for that purpose?
So what is small business telling us? They can’t afford Obamacare without laying off employees. Am I the only one that thinks this is a problem?
We are slowly going form the Friendliest place in the world to the most nickel and dimed place in the world.
Michael Scotto,
Wow, it amazes me the life a topic takes on sometimes.
What bothers me is the reference to somewhat blaming the Villages !
Reading the statement...
" We are slowly going from the Friendliest place in the world to the most nickel and dimed place in the world. "
What does this surcharge have to do with the Villages ? Maybe I'm reading this wrong.

Last edited by Bonny; 02-13-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:23 AM

None of this even matters at this point! Employers won't have to participate in purchasing healthcare for employees now until 2016 - it was just announced this past week.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:29 AM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassieInVa View Post
None of this even matters at this point! Employers won't have to participate in purchasing healthcare for employees now until 2016 - it was just announced this past week.

It will be interesting to see if Gator's still imposes the surcharge, even though they don't have to participate for almost two years.

Isn't it only employers with over 50 employees that have to participate? It would be interesting to find out how many people Gator's employs.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
It will be interesting to see if Gator's still imposes the surcharge, even though they don't have to participate for almost two years.

Isn't it only employers with over 50 employees that have to participate? It would be interesting to find out how many people Gator's employs.
Gator’s Dockside Locations

Looks like 21 locations.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:39 AM
Send a message via AIM to jim1941

I was at Gator's Dockside last night after the Katie Belle's Show.
Two beers and mozzarella sticks came to $6.96.
Sales Tax $.52 + ACA Surcharge $.07 for a total of $7.55.

Seven cents will not keep me out of Gators!
Old 02-13-2014, 11:46 AM

We went to CA and saw a surcharge but it must have been more than 1% because it was $2-3. When I asked about it, was told it was for Health Care costs for the wait staff. So we just included that as part of the tip and gave that much less in the tip. Since we were ordering for 4 and usually give 20%...I'm sure it wasn't much noticed. But again, for me it was the whole idea. Nobody gives me a surcharge for my rising healthcare costs. Why do I have to pay for others? I'm sure this 1% will rise...this is only the beginning.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:21 PM
Veteran member

In the end, no matter how it is done, costs will be shifted to consumers.

Restaurants can probably approach it many ways.

But if they disadvantage their employees with their method, they will lose the good employees that can get a better deal with another restaurant, and retain employees that have more trouble getting another job.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.