Restaurants should use single use throw away paper menus until further notice.

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2020, 05:25 AM
Veteran member

The problem with wiping them down is that the cleaning may not be adequate and actually may spread germs if not done properly.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:42 AM

4 states have closed restaurants, except for take out. This will be coming soon to TV world. Government exists to save us from ourselves
Old 03-16-2020, 05:54 AM
Default Gloves do not do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydee View Post
How about we take responsibility for ourselves? If eating out, wear protective gloves...JMO
You are still touching things and then touching yourself or other things. How exactly do you think gloves are going to help?
Old 03-16-2020, 06:03 AM
Sage

Wow, just cook at home for about 60 days,

I see the bigger risk at the restaurant is the kitchen staff are they wearing protective gloves, masks hats etc, (I doubt it) then the the service issues.

If eating out is that important to risk unnecessary exposure you should consider what its like being in ICU.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:13 AM

We are eating at home until further notice. Not only do we not want to be in a crowded Restaurant, but we have no idea who is cooking there and what kind of care they are taking to avoid any contamination. It won't kill me to cook for 60 days! Actually, I find I'm enjoying it (since I know it's only temporary)!! Might also order my groceries to be delivered! Just because I don't need to be in the store with the Mob !
Old 03-16-2020, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARFAP View Post
Restaurants should close except for take out.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny70 View Post
We are eating at home until further notice. Not only do we not want to be in a crowded Restaurant, but we have no idea who is cooking there and what kind of care they are taking to avoid any contamination. It won't kill me to cook for 60 days! Actually, I find I'm enjoying it (since I know it's only temporary)!! Might also order my groceries to be delivered! Just because I don't need to be in the store with the Mob !
The problem is that you have no idea who handled the food/packaging you plan on cooking at the grocery store or delivery service. The good news is that although the virus can live on contaminated surfaces for a relatively long time, there are no documented cases I know of that were transmitted in that fashion. Community transmission appears to be from person to person via droplets (at least for now)
Old 03-16-2020, 07:15 AM

Good time for ALL restaurants to add their menus online (if not already)...AND find the hidden word to get a free dessert!
Old 03-16-2020, 07:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner52 View Post
The problem with wiping them down is that the cleaning may not be adequate and actually may spread germs if not done properly.
I agree, but what about eating utensils, glasses & cups. Yea I know someone will say they’re washed I hot water, what about if just one of these things gets overlooked. All I’m saying is if your going to catch the virus you’ll probably contract it from something you’ll never think of. The old & sickly are probably the ones that will catch it any how, stay healthy & you’ll be OK. The businesses are doing what they’re doing as a precaution. Which is good I guess! If we’re worried about it, stay home for the Nexted 2 or 3 months until it passes& it will!
Old 03-16-2020, 08:51 AM

I ate at Texas Roadhouse last night and there was a lady wiping down all the menus. A good practice that should be done on a regular basis. But I am glad that they were doing that.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:26 AM
Veteran member
Default menus

I went to Fenney's restaurant yesterday and took 2 clorox wipes that I had in a plastic zip lock. My friend took one and we both wiped down the table top, the menus and the metal chair arms. I also had hand sanitizer that I made from isopropyl alcohol and hand lotion mixed together. We sat outside and it wasn't crowded so there was plenty of space between us and anyone else. I went to the gas station and put disposable gloves on to pump the gas. I feel pretty safe.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts
Default Menus are only part of the problem...servers are not being properly trained

I worked as a busboy in an upscale restaurant while going to school.
Day 1 we were taught the correct way to clear a table, change the tables, set out coffee cups/Danish, and the importance of frequent washing of hands, etc. It seems that proper training is no longer something that management views as one of their key responsibilities

I'm not a health-nut nor am I 'hyper' about anything...but I am frustrated with the unhygienic approach that way too many food servers demonstrate

I don't care if they haven't been trained to 'always serve from the left'...I do care if they knowingly or unknowingly do it with unhealthy techniques

I get frustrated when I see a server clearing a table and putting there fingers inside the empty classes, and then immediately picking up someone else's order and delivering it

I walked out of a restaurant in Key West once...I went into the men's room to wash my hands, one of the kitchen help was in there, he left the men's room without washing his hands and went back into the kitchen (and yes I did report it to the manager)

I reluctantly use the condiment containers because they are never cleaned

wiping down the menus with a damp rag is like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic

Hopefully one good thing that comes from all of this constant message to wash your hands, is that the 40% of the people that use public restrooms and do not wash their hands will start doing so

Just saying
Old 03-16-2020, 10:23 AM
Default Question about eating out

Went into a restaurant for an ice cream this weekend-server wore rubber gloves (yippee) to serve the ice cream-and KEPT THE GLOVES ON TO TAKE MY MONEY AND GIVE ME CHANGE. Am I missing something? I'd rather she touched my cone barehanded and used the gloves for the money!
Old 03-16-2020, 11:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd2 View Post
I went to Fenney's restaurant yesterday and took 2 clorox wipes that I had in a plastic zip lock. My friend took one and we both wiped down the table top, the menus and the metal chair arms. I also had hand sanitizer that I made from isopropyl alcohol and hand lotion mixed together. We sat outside and it wasn't crowded so there was plenty of space between us and anyone else. I went to the gas station and put disposable gloves on to pump the gas. I feel pretty safe.
I think that's a false sense of security in a restaurant there are many other avenues to worry about there.

Why do you think restaurants are being targeted around the world to be shut down
Old 03-16-2020, 12:57 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 450 Posts

If you all use our common sense....we will get through this just like every year flu season. What do you do to keep yourself out of arms way every flu season.......
Closed Thread

Tags
restaurants, single, throw, paper, menus

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.