Retention Irrigation Ponds

Closed Thread
Old 10-28-2015, 05:40 AM
Default Retention Irrigation Ponds

Are there others that purchased water view homesites & were never informed during the sales process that the "May or May Not Hold Water" meant that water would be extracted for irrigation? We were informed water levels might change just due to "natural causes"---deception here?
Old 10-28-2015, 05:57 AM
Default Map

May or May Not Hold Water

Yes they showed us on the map of our lot and printed on the pond where those words.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27RUDYG View Post
Are there others that purchased water view homesites & were never informed during the sales process that the "May or May Not Hold Water" meant that water would be extracted for irrigation? We were informed water levels might change just due to "natural causes"---deception here?
We lived on a large retention pond and it does say in the sales contract and on a map of the area ponds that they may or may not hold water as you say. After some research prior to purchasing we also knew they used them for irrigation and can move water around from various ponds. Our sales person also helped when we questioned their use. Where else would they get their irrigation? Obviously the very large ponds I have never seen empty but low in the dry season from watering. There are some like in the Charlotte area on Hillsborough, 466a off the golf course I have seen dry and full but they are very small and doubt they use those for irrigation anyway. Those would be natural causes. I wouldn't call it deception.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:38 AM
Default Retention Irrigation Ponds

Thanks for some insight---we were curious as to why the details in our purchase contract regarding "Water Features" did not include any info re the utilization for irrigation. Naturally occurring events, such as periods of drought, obviously could lower the water levels. In regards to our situation, also found it interesting that it appears that the extraction process did not begin until all of the premium lots around the pond we're sold.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:53 AM

The ability to move water around, the irrigation of golf courses and common grounds is also used to reduce the water level in preperation for expected excessive rain fall..... ie: hurricanes, tropical storms, etc.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligas View Post
The ability to move water around, the irrigation of golf courses and common grounds is also used to reduce the water level in preperation for expected excessive rain fall..... ie: hurricanes, tropical storms, etc.
Like your name!
Old 10-28-2015, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27RUDYG View Post
Thanks for some insight---we were curious as to why the details in our purchase contract regarding "Water Features" did not include any info re the utilization for irrigation. Naturally occurring events, such as periods of drought, obviously could lower the water levels. In regards to our situation, also found it interesting that it appears that the extraction process did not begin until all of the premium lots around the pond we're sold.

If you want to think so think so, but I don't think so.

The trouble is that this place is WAY too good to be true. What a plus that they used reclaimed water for irrigation. And can spray it out and lower the pond level in preparation for major rainfall. I was here a few years back when we got over 12 inches of rain in two-three days and those ponds didn't flood.

I know in my heart that you will find that this place is really on the up and up. Carefully planned and they didn't have to pull the wool over anybody's eyes to sell those view lots. In our neighborhood the view lots sold out in seven hours.

Welcome to Lower Paradise.

Last edited by graciegirl; 10-28-2015 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:05 PM
Veteran member

I’m glad this subject came up. Next month I’ll be in TV Sales office talking about a lot or home. I have never lived near a retention pond because I’ve always lived in places that have storm sewers.

I just assume (yes, not always a good idea) that retention ponds are a source of odor due to stagnant water, mosquitos and snakes. Wrong assumptions? For those of you that live next to a RP I would appreciate your thoughts, good and bad.

Also, if I bought next to a pond and told levels may change due to “natural causes” I would expect that to mean “natural causes” i.e. low due to drought, high due to excessive rain. Having water removed by “man” for any purpose is not “natural.” Lawyers write all these contracts and I have no doubt their (TV Sales) butts are covered.

When or if the time comes, I will have a lawyer look at the contract before I sign, but I don’t think it will do any good. Each time I spoke to TV Sales over the phone they made it clear it is a, take or leave it deal – no changes.

Getting back to the original post. As a layman I would feel somewhat deceived. If I were a lawyer I would probably say they did nothing wrong.

So, living next to a RP, good idea or bad?
Old 10-28-2015, 12:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

When our sales person started to pitch the premium lot, my husband told her we were from Florida and know about retention ponds. She stuttered and stammered and changed the subject.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We live on a retention pond. It was made quite clear that pond levels can vary. We have previously lived in a community with retention ponds so I am familiar with their dynamics. I have seen our pond level vary by about 4 feet from highest level to lowest level but the typical variations are much less. I have noticed the level rise about a foot in the last couple of weeks so I suspect water is being moved around. We don't have any odor from the pond and I cannot think of a single negative associated with the pond. The grading is such that water, during heavy rains, flows down to the pond so we never have any standing water. We like the fact that there is a significant amount of birds on the pond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
I’m glad this subject came up. Next month I’ll be in TV Sales office talking about a lot or home. I have never lived near a retention pond because I’ve always lived in places that have storm sewers.

I just assume (yes, not always a good idea) that retention ponds are a source of odor due to stagnant water, mosquitos and snakes. Wrong assumptions? For those of you that live next to a RP I would appreciate your thoughts, good and bad.

Also, if I bought next to a pond and told levels may change due to “natural causes” I would expect that to mean “natural causes” i.e. low due to drought, high due to excessive rain. Having water removed by “man” for any purpose is not “natural.” Lawyers write all these contracts and I have no doubt their (TV Sales) butts are covered.

When or if the time comes, I will have a lawyer look at the contract before I sign, but I don’t think it will do any good. Each time I spoke to TV Sales over the phone they made it clear it is a, take or leave it deal – no changes.

Getting back to the original post. As a layman I would feel somewhat deceived. If I were a lawyer I would probably say they did nothing wrong.

So, living next to a RP, good idea or bad?
Old 10-28-2015, 02:09 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
We live on a retention pond. It was made quite clear that pond levels can vary. We have previously lived in a community with retention ponds so I am familiar with their dynamics. I have seen our pond level vary by about 4 feet from highest level to lowest level but the typical variations are much less. I have noticed the level rise about a foot in the last couple of weeks so I suspect water is being moved around. We don't have any odor from the pond and I cannot think of a single negative associated with the pond. The grading is such that water, during heavy rains, flows down to the pond so we never have any standing water. We like the fact that there is a significant amount of birds on the pond.
Thank you.
So no issues with stagnant water, mosquitos or animals of the slithering kind?
Old 10-28-2015, 02:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We do have a gator.

Quote:
Thank you.
So no issues with stagnant water, mosquitos or animals of the slithering kind?
Old 10-28-2015, 02:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
We do have a gator.
Seriously?
How does a gator get to a pond in a residential area? Did someone dump a baby gator? Dangerous?

My friend in Orlando never said anything about gators. When I told her I was considering FL. She said “keep in mind this is FL, we have hurricanes, sinkholes and snakes.” She said nothing about backyard gators
Old 10-28-2015, 02:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member

There are lots of gators in FL. Just stay clear of them. If they become too big or become a nuisance, they will be removed. They are essentially afraid of humans.

Quote:
Seriously?
How does a gator get to a pond in a residential area? Did someone dump a baby gator? Dangerous?

My friend in Orlando never said anything about gators. When I told her I was considering FL. She said “keep in mind this is FL, we have hurricanes, sinkholes and snakes.” She said nothing about backyard gators
Old 10-28-2015, 03:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Seriously?

Florida has the type of gator with feet and legs.
Closed Thread

Tags
water, informed, irrigation, levels, extracted, change, causes---deception, natural, due, meant, hold, homesites, view, purchased, ponds, retention, process, sales

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.