RETIRED NURSES & FIRE HOUSES Could Vaccinate Villagers

Closed Thread
Old 01-11-2021, 06:11 AM

Uncertain but I think retired nurses/pharmacists in TV are no more elibible for getting the vaccine than any other 65 or older Villager. As such, unsure of the wisdom asking that they should give injection when they cannot get them.
Old 01-11-2021, 06:27 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,871 Times in 789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
A month ago? The government should have had a task force figuring out a roll out plan as soon as this virus became an issue back in March. Draft the policies and procedures BEFORE the imminent need is dire. Include different plans for the possibility of storage issues such as they have. THAT is what should have been done. In the meantime, we are all left hanging and waiting.

I know......hindsight is 20/20 but still SOMETHING should have been in the works back in March or even sooner. Our government knew back in January 2020 this virus was a BIG threat.
Exactly. That’s what is meant by “leadership.” All of this could have been anticipated and prepared for.
Old 01-11-2021, 06:48 AM

Yes. Thought of this myself and discussed it with a retired nurse. I do think they would want t to have had their vaccine already though
Old 01-11-2021, 07:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post
There are countless retired nurses in The Villages that if asked, could be used to help vaccinate people here in TV. Sure it would be great if they just volunteered but that is asking too much. Perhaps some kind of compensation could be working out? I think many would be happy to help out in this endeavor.
Now for the the multiple fire houses in The Villages. These folks are trained for this. Giving a shot for them is nothing. If possible their down time could be used for vaccinations at their site. Or, maybe they could be used at the polo fields in a drive-thru situation.
Let's face it at the current rate this will take a long time to complete. We had a vaccine plan but no vaccination plan.
Retired medical professionals cannot legally practice and they are no longer have malpractice insurance.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:52 AM

The problem is right now at least, there are more people able to distribute the vaccine then there is available vaccine.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:56 AM
Veteran member

After reading the paper yesterday and seeing that Marion County had to shut down its registration site with 50,000 signed up and waiting. They also stated that they gave 1,000 injections that week. My question is if you were able to get the first vaccination and you have to wait 28 days for your second, how, or when, do you get it? Site is shut down, no way to make a reservation, have to stay with the same manufacturer of the vaccine, and will Marion County continue to stay with that manufacturer in future shipments, or go with whatever is available for shipment and use?
Questions and concerns!
Old 01-11-2021, 08:01 AM
Sage

My wife has an appointment for her second shot in 28 days (Moderna vaccine) at a Publix in Marion County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonrich View Post
After reading the paper yesterday and seeing that Marion County had to shut down its registration site with 50,000 signed up and waiting. They also stated that they gave 1,000 injections that week. My question is if you were able to get the first vaccination and you have to wait 28 days for your second, how, or when, do you get it? Site is shut down, no way to make a reservation, have to stay with the same manufacturer of the vaccine, and will Marion County continue to stay with that manufacturer in future shipments, or go with whatever is available for shipment and use?
Questions and concerns!
Old 01-11-2021, 08:12 AM
Veteran member

If you don’t have the vaccine you can’t give the shots.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:16 AM

I have been asking where I could help at Publix, CVS, Walmart. It is just not organized
Old 01-11-2021, 08:23 AM
Sage

Maybe they don't need your help. Regarding not being organized, my wife's experience indicates otherwise. She got an appointment at Publix, was injected promptly, waited 15 mins to check for any reactions, and was given another appointment for her second shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawk427 View Post
I have been asking where I could help at Publix, CVS, Walmart. It is just not organized
Old 01-11-2021, 08:23 AM

We were able to get our vaccine down in Clermont on Friday. I can not say enough about their organization it was easy smooth safe and a very pleasant experience. Nurses, Emt’s, firemen , national guard, police, sheriff, administration and the mayor all involved. Sumter needs to get with it. But that experience would be hard to top
Old 01-11-2021, 08:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
My wife has an appointment for her second shot in 28 days (Moderna vaccine) at a Publix in Marion County.
Good for her. Where did she get her first shot? Same place or did she have to shop around looking for a site. How did she determine that this was the same manufacturer as the first one?
Old 01-11-2021, 08:53 AM
Sage

It was a Publix in Ocala - I don't know which one as I didn't go with her. She just received the first shot. They gave her an appointment (for the same Publix) in 28 days for the second shot and will use the same vaccine (Moderna) at that time.

Quote:
Good for her. Where did she get her first shot? Same place or did she have to shop around looking for a site. How did she determine that this was the same manufacturer as the first one?
Old 01-11-2021, 09:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,184 Times in 1,936 Posts

Quote:
Questions and concerns!
I'd rather wait to be vaccinated and continue on with the practices I've been doing since March of last year. I always wear a mask in public indoor spaces and always keep my distance no matter where I am; indoors or outdoors. That is going to have to be the best I can do at this point. I would prefer to wait for my shots when there is a better system in place to guarantee the second shot at the point and time it is due.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:07 AM
Sage

Read Post #28.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I'd rather wait to be vaccinated and continue on with the practices I've been doing since March of last year. I always wear a mask in public indoor spaces and always keep my distance no matter where I am; indoors or outdoors. That is going to have to be the best I can do at this point. I would prefer to wait for my shots when there is a better system in place to guarantee the second shot at the point and time it is due.
Closed Thread

Tags
retired, nurses, time, vaccinate, plan

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.