Retirement community

Closed Thread
Old 08-05-2022, 04:57 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,800 Times in 736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
There comes a time when one should stop digging…….you are there.
The paint is on the canvas and I’ll let people judge you and the other’s picture. I wasn’t the one doing the digging, that came from the anti-disability posters. Walk a mile in the disabled shoes….

Peace out!
Old 08-05-2022, 05:50 PM

There seems to be getting a discussion about the disabled on my thread. I am sorry that all of you that gave me advice had to get upset.

Yes, I agree there should be a bus for disabled people to get around. They can make an appointment, or there is some schedule for them to take this bus or van. After all, it is a retirement community. It should not come out of the amenity fees.

Like I wrote before, The Villages is a beautiful area with many positive attributes. Maybe one day there can be a van that a disabled person can call to be taken shopping or to go down to the squares. That would be the finishing touches on the icing of the cake. To me, The Villages is a great place to live. It looks very peaceful and safe for everyone.

Last edited by TOMCAT; 08-05-2022 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-06-2022, 05:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,707 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT View Post
There seems to be getting a discussion about the disabled on my thread. I am sorry that all of you that gave me advice had to get upset.

Yes, I agree there should be a bus for disabled people to get around. They can make an appointment, or there is some schedule for them to take this bus or van. After all, it is a retirement community. It should not come out of the amenity fees.

Like I wrote before, The Villages is a beautiful area with many positive attributes. Maybe one day there can be a van that a disabled person can call to be taken shopping or to go down to the squares. That would be the finishing touches on the icing of the cake. To me, The Villages is a great place to live. It looks very peaceful and safe for everyone.
AS often happens here, the discussion jumps the rails. I apologize for taking the bait of a troll and engaging him, and asking specific questions about his post. He never responds to those questions, he just repeatedly, on many threads, says the same things, using the same cliches, but refuses to elaborate when asked.
I fed the troll, and it started a contentious exchange which had nothing to do with the discussion you originally intended. The troll wins. That is always the troll's intention. I should know better than to get sucked into that.
Old 08-06-2022, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
AS often happens here, the discussion jumps the rails. I apologize for taking the bait of a troll and engaging him, and asking specific questions about his post. He never responds to those questions, he just repeatedly, on many threads, says the same things, using the same cliches, but refuses to elaborate when asked.
I fed the troll, and it started a contentious exchange which had nothing to do with the discussion you originally intended. The troll wins. That is always the troll's intention. I should know better than to get sucked into that.
No worries. It looked like a dispute about transportation for the disabled. In New York, there is a transportation for disabled called Access-A-Ride. I do not know if that is available in Florida.

One day, I hope to be living in The Villages. Thank you again for taking the time to answer me. It was much appreciated.
Old 08-06-2022, 06:07 AM

Today is my grandson’s 1st birthday party, and my husband is complaining about being ignored by the “younger people.” LOL. My son has a lot of friends, and sometimes we feel like we do not fit in. Living in The Villages will maybe give us good quality time with grandkids, except I will not be able to babysit.
Old 08-06-2022, 06:38 AM
Default Tough decision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT View Post
My husband and I want to downsize and live in a smaller home with little maintenance. We have been to The Villages a couple of times and almost moved there.

To make a long story short, our only child moved back to our state and now lives about 10 minutes away from us with our grandkids. I have been looking at 55+ communities here in New York, but nothing as nice as The Villages is here. Did anyone have this dilemma of leaving family for a better quality of life?
It is certainly a hard decision. In the long run, if you get to spend tons of time with your family now, and you are an integral part of the grandkids lives, you might miss them here. We are snowbirds and spend half our time here and half near the kids. I miss the kids when we are here but I love living here. At some point we will live here more - maybe 9 months instead of 6 months per year. But I do miss the kids. Not an easy decision. My kids have not come to visit because they own their own business and can’t take off work.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, moved, communities, grandkids, york

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.