Retirement Thoughts By My Daughter

Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missypie View Post
And for this reason we bought a lot in Fernandina....
Where is your lot in Fernadina? We bought a lot on Abana Path and can't wait to experience Some of that counter aging lifestyle!
Old 09-14-2012, 04:21 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Beautiful story. You must be very proud of your daughter.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:03 PM

Thanks for all the nice comments. For full disclosure, the letter was written almost two years ago when I retired. I was going through some papers today and rediscovered her note. It still tears me up and as a proud Daddy, I wanted to share.

The great part is that after two years in TV, we know it was the best decision I could make. This really is a wonderful community.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:10 PM

That was a terrific post. Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-14-2012, 06:35 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach View Post
My Dad is Florida-bound; his dream is finally coming true. I think we started watching informational videos on The Villages about 15 years ago, but at the time none of us were sure if we were humoring my Dad or if he was serious. Now we know. My Dad is retiring this week. He is moving to The Villages. Even though I have known this move has been coming for months (years actually), it still took my breath when the time came.

My Dad...my maker of chicken pie...the one who is always on my side and thinks I am hilarious, the one who thinks I am great even when I am wrong and is always proud of me...how can he be leaving? Who will tell me how to make dressing or give me directions on random SC roads (yes, he will have a phone in Florida; I am being dramatic, but I am overly emotional and that is how I respond to things).

So I spent a lot time thinking-searching my heart for why I felt pain. I have gone back to so many summer memories. My dad would always be out in the yard cleaning the pool, piddling with plants, and messing in the garden in the lot next door. Saying that I helped would be untrue, I basically walked along "over-seeing" his work and talking incessantly. I learned to play cards and shag and learned the lyrics to just about every beach song that came on the radio. I did gymnastics in the front yard and back flips off the diving board (sorry for the gray hairs that caused). It really does not seem like very long ago.

So I think I put my finger on it. The moving away doesn't hurt nearly as bad as the aging does. It's just unbelievable to me that my Dad is old enough to retire and move to a retirement community. Life really is just a vapor.

My dad started watching videos years ago and knew what he wanted to do. He planned and he achieved his goal! Now I am the proud one!
For 50 years my Dad has been working.
I do not remember him taking a sick day.
I don't even remember him sleeping late.
Now he gets to spend his days filled with golf, messing around in the yard, and socializing with friends...all the things he loves.

I want him to know how much I love him and how HAPPY I am that he gets to have his days in the Florida sun.
Now I'm going to go out and plant my garden...and I'll call for directions on how deep to bury the plants! Like my Dad, I have over-seers who will be happy to talk my ear off while I do all the work.
That was a beautiful post.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:02 PM
Veteran member

Coach, hope your daughter has been down here numerous times and totally understands all that TV has to offer. You should be very proud! A beautifully written piece.

Becky
Old 09-14-2012, 07:10 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach View Post
Thanks for all the nice comments. For full disclosure, the letter was written almost two years ago when I retired. I was going through some papers today and rediscovered her note. It still tears me up and as a proud Daddy, I wanted to share.

The great part is that after two years in TV, we know it was the best decision I could make. This really is a wonderful community.
The letter is ageless as well as priceless. It should be bumped or posted annually for new readers and old ones to remember.
In reality, they're different!
Old 09-14-2012, 07:11 PM

I have been following post on TOTV for about two years now and this one brought tears to my eyes.
I will retire in about a year and I could feel the love from you to your father and I can only hope that that my daughter feels the same way.
That was the best post I have ever read on here.

Thank You!
Old 09-14-2012, 08:35 PM
Sage
Default Beautiful post

Your post takes me back to letting my daughter go. They become of age and fly away to a life of their own. Now, you the child, are watching your dad fly away to start his new life. Its the circle of life.....thanks for posting.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Default dont be sad

Your dad may be retiring but he won't age as fast here in TV. You should come visit with him and you will see that we are not just another retirement community! He will be fine and hopefully LIVE LIFE TO IT'S FULLEST---- having you as a daughter and The Village! life is good...
Old 09-14-2012, 09:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

and thats how you parent
Old 09-14-2012, 10:13 PM

We too will soon be retiring to TV. I retired in 2004 and my husband will hopefully be retiring by the end of the year. We have purchased a home in TV...YEAH! My heart is already aching about leaving our son, his wife and our two grandchileren, ages 3 & 6, for several months. I tear up just thinking about it. Our son and his dad have worked together for 20 years and I know it will be hard on us all. However, we need to do this. We both have worked hard all of our lives and now it's time to play and have some fun. Time flies, life changes and you just never know how long you have here on earth. I trust that once we get to TV we will be fine. I keep telling myself...Life will go on, they will visit and come spring we will be back up north for a few months and by fall we will be ready to head back to TV!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.