retiring in 45 days from the carolinas!!

Closed Thread
Old 11-19-2021, 06:05 PM

After 25 yrs., I still hate the Florida heat. We moved into a community that has indoor tennis, indoor pickleball and an indoor pool. If you prefer all the sports out in the heat, you’ll be fine. If you prefer indoor activities, look for another place.
Old 11-19-2021, 06:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,078 Times in 2,745 Posts

//////

Last edited by tophcfa; 11-19-2021 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-19-2021, 06:12 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,139 Times in 882 Posts

Congrats on your impending retirement!! The Villages is retirement paradise. Rent for a few months before buying. There's so much to experience and figure out, I'm sure you'll love it.
Old 11-19-2021, 06:45 PM

poor quality homes, people bitchie, restrictions awful, not bad weather, can't wait to leave.....looking for a house??moved here from north carolina.. should have went further south, not in a 55 old people community
Old 11-19-2021, 07:30 PM
Veteran member

My wife and I lived in North Carolina for 20 years, loved it and planned to retire in either North or South Carolina (with South having somewhat better tax benefits for retirees). Then, on the recommendation of my wife's cousin, we stopped in at The Villages for a look around. We couldn't believe what we saw - it just seemed too good to be true (though getting around at first was kind of overwhelming). We stopped again a year later and it was everything we remembered (though a little easier to get around this time). We came back a year later and bought a house. Having lived here going on 5 years now, I have to admit that the place isn't 100% perfect (no place is), but it's pretty darned close. We absolutely love living here and hope you do, too.
Old 11-19-2021, 08:20 PM
Platinum member

Personally I love The Villages. Wife is having a hard time adjusting to the weather. We came from Palm Beach County. 10-15 degrees lower in The Villages in January and February and 4-5 degrees(average 90-95 average) warmer here than in Palm Beach However did not have one day last winter where in I could not play golf. Full disclosure, I do not play in the mornings during the cold months.

Do have heavy thunderstorms in the summer. We do live in the area known as the lightning capital.

Suggest vtisiting in January and July. That way you you can experience some of the coldest and warmest days. Mid October thru most of December and Mid Feb thru Mid April are fabulous.

My biggest complaint(if you consider this a complaint) is that there is TOO much to do here. Spend a lot of time deciding what to do. Full disclosure again, we are both very active.
Old 11-19-2021, 08:27 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea3051 View Post
I think you will find that 99% of the villagers will not say a bad thing about TV, they have "drank the kool-aid" which is not a bad thing and this place is very special, however, had I known a few items, I may have made a different decision based on my personal needs or at least had all the info to make the best decision. I was "sold" by a very aggressive sales agent who over promised and under delivered. Thankfully, I am renting but located in the new South of 44 area so my experience may be slightly different.
Pros: very friendly people, very social, lots of activities and beautiful amenities. easy low maintenance living. a happy place
Cons: stores & services are not close by, 10 miles= about 25 min (slow roads & roundabouts), thin & limited Medical & Veterinary options, very buggy but most don't care
Again, this applies to me, its more country living than I anticipated and the limited services & medical options concerns me as a full time single resident.

good luck, I am sure you will love it!
Need to check out areas north of 466. Almost everything I need is less than 1 mile from erverything including: 3 grocery stores, Home Depot, Lowes, hospital, 2 of the 3 doctors I see regularly, Sams Club, new BJ's, at least ten chain restaurants.

Houses are older but amenities are very mature.
Old 11-21-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Need to check out areas north of 466. Almost everything I need is less than 1 mile from erverything including: 3 grocery stores, Home Depot, Lowes, hospital, 2 of the 3 doctors I see regularly, Sams Club, new BJ's, at least ten chain restaurants.

Houses are older but amenities are very mature.
you are correct! I tried out Lake Sumter but since I am on the younger side, I found it too mature for me and felt very out of place there.
Old 11-21-2021, 01:07 PM
Sage

I have been in TV for 8 plus years and I can say, "I love it here".

The developers keep TV immaculate, The paper comes everyday like clockwork. The trash is picked up on schedule and my landscaper comes every week.

It is a leisure lifestyle with plenty of activities. There are 3,000 clubs in TV.

TV is a big place so I would recommend you rent for a couple of months and explore the many area's that might want to live in and see if it's right for you. Get a map from TV sales office.There are a lot of things to consider before you make a final decision.

Best of luck going forward!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 11-21-2021, 01:58 PM

View and subscribe to emails from this publisher before you move here. Not a too friendly place.
Do a web search for villages-newsdotcom
Old 11-21-2021, 09:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrixclient View Post
View and subscribe to emails from this publisher before you move here. Not a too friendly place.
Do a web search for villages-newsdotcom
Interesting comments from someone who only joined the forum a week ago...

-Tom Petty
Old 11-23-2021, 08:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,686 Times in 972 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea3051 View Post
you are correct! I tried out Lake Sumter but since I am on the younger side, I found it too mature for me and felt very out of place there.
I live between 466 and 466A... I love it in this spot.

And while I may be older than you, nobody ever accused me of being "mature".
Ripe, maybe, but never mature.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,686 Times in 972 Posts

anybody who thinks this place isn't friendly is IMO, overly sensitive. If anything, I sometimes wish I could just finish my front yard project without a neighbor coming over to engage me in conversation. But then I remember I could do this job anytime, and visiting with neighbors is a blessing.
I have never been anywhere where people were so engaging, friendly and helpful as here. It really is amazing to me.
Closed Thread

Tags
retiring, days, carolinas, love, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.