Retractable awnings

Closed Thread
Old 11-26-2012, 11:23 PM
Smile Retractable awnings

Question: are retractable awning permitted? May they extend past you dotted building footprint? Thanks TV friend! Dellie
Old 11-27-2012, 12:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,132 Times in 418 Posts
Default Great Product!

I researched them a lot before installing one as an extension of my lanai, extending out over the pool under the birdcage. You'll find them at all price points for a similar size and construction, but none of the sales people will be able to tell you the difference in quality. They all seem to have powder-coated aluminum construction, solid aluminum "knuckles", Sunbrella fabrics and the common French rotational motor inside the main tube. For the same size I found a guy at the Markets of Marion (a real fast talker) with an $1,800 price and a company in Orlando who claimed they were installing on at Arnold Palmer's house that very day, with a price of over $5,000. Again, for what apparently were the same size and construction!

I had a Swedish-designed awning with an excellent reputation made in New York installed by a local company for a price in-between. The procedure was smooth, on-time and the local contractor did a great job. We've enjoyed the product every day since. Great idea.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:36 PM

What was the name of the company you used ?
Old 02-13-2013, 10:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
I researched them a lot before installing one as an extension of my lanai, extending out over the pool under the birdcage. You'll find them at all price points for a similar size and construction, but none of the sales people will be able to tell you the difference in quality. They all seem to have powder-coated aluminum construction, solid aluminum "knuckles", Sunbrella fabrics and the common French rotational motor inside the main tube. For the same size I found a guy at the Markets of Marion (a real fast talker) with an $1,800 price and a company in Orlando who claimed they were installing on at Arnold Palmer's house that very day, with a price of over $5,000. Again, for what apparently were the same size and construction!

I had a Swedish-designed awning with an excellent reputation made in New York installed by a local company for a price in-between. The procedure was smooth, on-time and the local contractor did a great job. We've enjoyed the product every day since. Great idea.
How long have you had the awning? How many times over what period of time is the mechanism cycled (opened and returned to close).
Old 02-14-2013, 12:00 AM
Veteran member
Default We inherited one ...

... when we bought our resale and so have no idea how old it is or how many times it's been opened and closed. I have no idea of brand name, but I can say that it has always worked very well, and the Sunbrella fabric has evidently held up very well too. I had the impression from the sellers of the house that it was pretty pricey.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:11 AM
Sage

U can also buy Bahama shutters you can see 99% out thru them and they offer great shade and complete ventilation.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.