"Reverse Snowbirds"?

Closed Thread
Old 06-04-2015, 11:31 AM
Sage
Default "Reverse Snowbirds"?

I'm just wondering about something...

My wife and I are full-timers in TV. We've lived in Florida for most of our adult lives and don't mind the summer heat, and we love the reduced population in TV over the summer.

But we plan on spending a month or two occasionally in other places as we settle in. We often talk about the Smokies or out west somewhere. But we really like the summers here in TV so we often talk about taking trips in fall or winter, to get a real change of pace from the Florida environment...some cold weather, snow, etc.

That brings me to my question...are there any what-might-be-called "reverse snowbirds" in TV? People who live here in the summer but take winter trips elsewhere? Either for the entire season (I'll admit, that would be pretty radical) or for some weeks/months?

Just curious more than anything, but welcome any advice since we're considering such getaways.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:39 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I'm just wondering about something...

My wife and I are full-timers in TV. We've lived in Florida for most of our adult lives and don't mind the summer heat, and we love the reduced population in TV over the summer.

But we plan on spending a month or two occasionally in other places as we settle in. We often talk about the Smokies or out west somewhere. But we really like the summers here in TV so we often talk about taking trips in fall or winter, to get a real change of pace from the Florida environment...some cold weather, snow, etc.

That brings me to my question...are there any what-might-be-called "reverse snowbirds" in TV? People who live here in the summer but take winter trips elsewhere? Either for the entire season (I'll admit, that would be pretty radical) or for some weeks/months?

Just curious more than anything, but welcome any advice since we're considering such getaways.
I don't know about being a reverse snowbird. It did cross my mind as I could continue to rent my home in the winter months.

But, then I remember the last two winters we had in Michigan. Two years ago it was ice. We had an ice dam on our roof that took months to repair. This year it was very cold and a couple of big snow storms -- thankfully, nothing like Boston!

I would love to be in TV full time. Unfortunately, my 91 year old mother likes the 4 seasons but, I'm the one that has to drive her in that white stuff!
Old 06-04-2015, 12:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
But we really like the summers here in TV so we often talk about taking trips in fall or winter, to get a real change of pace from the Florida environment...some cold weather, snow, etc.
For the last eight years, we've spent every winter in The Villages, except for 2012.
That year I decided I missed the snow at Christmas and it would be romantic to spend December in Canada.
We delayed our departure to The Villages until January.
It wasn't romantic, it was awful, ice and snow, bad idea
California or Arizona would make a nice winter getaway from Florida.
Cruises to the Caribbean are plentiful.
However I guess you are called POLAR BEAR for a reason
Old 06-04-2015, 12:15 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I know of one couple who does exactly that -- travels in the high season, rents out their home and happily swelters here in the summer. Most of their trips are tropical, but they have done Europe in January and absolutely loved it.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-04-2015, 12:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
For the last eight years, we've spent every winter in The Villages, except for 2012.
That year I decided I missed the snow at Christmas and it would be romantic to spend December in Canada.
We delayed our departure to The Villages until January.
It wasn't romantic, it was awful, ice and snow, bad idea
California or Arizona would make a nice winter getaway from Florida.
Cruises to the Caribbean are plentiful.
However I guess you are called POLAR BEAR for a reason
Heheh. Nahhh...I don't disagree with anything you said. We don't want to go to hard-core winter places. Just maybe to southern Appalachians, somewhere near the southern Rockies, places like that. And possibly in the fall, not the middle of winter.

We don't want to get into that hard-core winter stuff. I know it would be a bit of a gamble to even flirt with the southern edges of it in the fall. You can never know for sure what weather you'll get. But we're willing to live with that.

By the way, "Polar Bear" comes from my alma mater...not a love of the cold!!
Old 06-04-2015, 01:14 PM
Veteran member

For short periods of up to a month, we could be sun birds, heading north to a chalet near a ski resort enjoying a roaring fire after a fun day on the slopes or snowmobile. Of course Christmas to New Years is the most enchanting time. I'd take snow over cold rain and dampness so Canada or upper New York State sounds good.

If you are young in heart enough to enjoy the snow, it's a joy but if not, it's not for you. Our favorite time of year is fall with the blankets of color on the ground and in the trees, a cold snap in the air but then, I love the outdoors. Each season has its enchantment.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:54 PM
Veteran member

Check out Minnesota! www. cabinconnect. com
Old 06-04-2015, 02:14 PM
Sage

I think I want to rent out my TV house during snowbird season but stay locally. It's only me for now so I would only need a room and cooking privileges. Does anyone know anybody that has done just that?
Old 06-04-2015, 02:27 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sable99 View Post
I don't know about being a reverse snowbird. It did cross my mind as I could continue to rent my home in the winter months.

But, then I remember the last two winters we had in Michigan. Two years ago it was ice. We had an ice dam on our roof that took months to repair. This year it was very cold and a couple of big snow storms -- thankfully, nothing like Boston!

I would love to be in TV full time. Unfortunately, my 91 year old mother likes the 4 seasons but, I'm the one that has to drive her in that white stuff!
Ice dam on the roof is all ya need to know. We had one while we were trying to sell and SHOW our home!!!! Try hiding that from a customer who's extremely interested and is coming to see the property. A living hell!

Yes, that's not a renter's problem, but if the weight of the ice slides down with melting and tears off the roof and everything is leaking and freezing, it IS.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:31 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimandMe View Post
For short periods of up to a month, we could be sun birds, heading north to a chalet near a ski resort enjoying a roaring fire after a fun day on the slopes or snowmobile. Of course Christmas to New Years is the most enchanting time. I'd take snow over cold rain and dampness so Canada or upper New York State sounds good.

If you are young in heart enough to enjoy the snow, it's a joy but if not, it's not for you. Our favorite time of year is fall with the blankets of color on the ground and in the trees, a cold snap in the air but then, I love the outdoors. Each season has its enchantment.
Fall would be great up north.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimandMe View Post
Our favorite time of year is fall with the blankets of color on the ground and in the trees, a cold snap in the air but then, I love the outdoors. Each season has its enchantment.
I love the three seasons in Canada. Fall is especially beautiful with the trees changing colour.
Spring is a time of rebirth and renewal, when we enjoy the return of the Hummingbirds, Baltimore Orioles and Monarch butterflies.
And of course summer is great with warm days, sometime hot, but coolish nights.
But when that vile ice and snow starts, it's time to get out of Dodge.
I recommend The Villages for a fun destination.
Unfortunately, it drives some of the Frogs nutty when Seasonal Residents return to clog up the roundabouts, take the best tee times, and make them line up for dinner.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:05 PM
Platinum member

I am a reverse snowbird. Mid- June through December in TV and Jan through mid-June in Wisconsin. Love it!
Old 06-04-2015, 03:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We have a neighbor who sails the Carribean during the snowbird season and misses the busy time in TV.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:43 PM

Smart!!!
Old 06-04-2015, 06:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

We go anyttime we find something new or interesting.
A couple of guidelines
We do not go North or anywhere it snows during winter months.
Any other time we try to frequent climates where palm trees/tropical stuff grows.

We broke our rule and spent Christmas 2014 in McKean, PA....about 30 minutes south of Erie, PA........never again.....and we were born and raised in Erie....yes we should have known better.
Closed Thread

Tags
summer, reverse, talk, florida, snowbirds, winter, trips, what-might-be-called, live, people, weather, environment, cold, question, snow, brings, advice, getaways, curious, weeks/months, season, entire, pace, admit, radical

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.