ripped off

Closed Thread
Old 04-27-2015, 02:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Common sense is one thing.........living in fear is not worth it!
Old 04-27-2015, 09:30 PM

I don't think taking regular precautions is living in a prison. I'm from up north, just outside Washington DC. We have always been security conscious. Now that we have arrived here, each night we lock our doors and have the extra lock on the sliders, our CYV gate is padlocked, our alarm system is turned on and we turn the garage door toggle to off. It becomes a routine.

This allows me to feel safe and I get a good nights sleep. I don't feel like I'm in a prison at all. I feel like I have my safe haven within a wonderful, beautiful community.

I also always close my blinds at night, unless I'm entertaining. I have always felt like a fish in a fishbowl at night if people can see into my home. I see no reason for keeping the blinds open at night since I can't really see out.

I've seen firsthand how someone who laughs at my security system and supposed paranoia, has a break in and feels violated and the first thing they do is buy an alarm system. I also agree with the poster that said the main thing you want is a noise that will makes a thief realize that this house is just not going to be that easy and hopefully they will leave before they can take your valuables.

I love it here. There is crime everywhere. But there is nothing wrong with protecting yourself just in case.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassieInVa View Post
I don't think taking regular precautions is living in a prison. I'm from up north, just outside Washington DC. We have always been security conscious. Now that we have arrived here, each night we lock our doors and have the extra lock on the sliders, our CYV gate is padlocked, our alarm system is turned on and we turn the garage door toggle to off. It becomes a routine.

This allows me to feel safe and I get a good nights sleep. I don't feel like I'm in a prison at all. I feel like I have my safe haven within a wonderful, beautiful community.

I also always close my blinds at night, unless I'm entertaining. I have always felt like a fish in a fishbowl at night if people can see into my home. I see no reason for keeping the blinds open at night since I can't really see out.

I've seen firsthand how someone who laughs at my security system and supposed paranoia, has a break in and feels violated and the first thing they do is buy an alarm system. I also agree with the poster that said the main thing you want is a noise that will makes a thief realize that this house is just not going to be that easy and hopefully they will leave before they can take your valuables.

I love it here. There is crime everywhere. But there is nothing wrong with protecting yourself just in case.
Well said.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelZ View Post
If you want to keep garage door open Harbor Freight has a driveway alarm similar to the one for garage door obstructions. I have it set up just inside the garage, triggers when anyone one enters garage. I've seen it on sale for under $15.
Good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
I responded to a person who sounds as though there is a checklist each day -- garage door down, doors locked, blinds closed. THAT is prison for me. I sincerely feel badly that someone feels that way. While you were typing your response to me, I was removing my response because I didn't feel like defending myself against posts from people who didn't get the fact I was being compassionate.
I understand your comments and your empathy.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:40 PM
Location: New Hampshire, now Heathrow on Lake Deaton Preserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aware1 View Post
Just to give a heads up to all you out there keep an eye on your garages i have never ever had anything stolen until i moved here my garage door was open while i was cutting my grass and working on the yard and when i went inside to get a drink someone came into my garage and stole my mini mower and the charger that goes with it DAMN shut your garage doors or else.
Please reply to those who inquired regarding the village in which you reside. Thank you
Old 04-27-2015, 11:13 PM
Veteran member

OP has 9 post and has not returned or responded. That being the case makes me wonder and also makes me want to discard the post.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:56 AM
Eternal Member

I doubt very much that the OP is going to respond to any of this. Just sayin'. I think it was just a "stir the pot post", however, he/she did get people thinking.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.