Roof Coating?

Old 03-09-2024, 10:46 AM
Default Roof Coating?

Has anybody had their roof coated? Or contacted their insurance company to see if it is an accepted practice? I have seen advertisements that this coating will add life to your roof. Just wondering if it is a scam.
TIA Bob
Old 03-09-2024, 10:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Not a scam, but Certainteed does not recommend it and says that they will not honor your shingle warranty.
Old 03-09-2024, 10:52 AM

Based on the ads I've seen, I believe the rationale for the coating is the same as that for using rejuvenator on our asphalt roads -- it restores elasticity and other properties degraded by all the UV light we get. Since the ads have just popped up I would assume this is a new product so I wouldn't know whether it actually works, let alone whether it is a scam. I would certainly advise anyone considering using it to contact their insurance company.
Old 03-09-2024, 10:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsuallyLurking View Post
Based on the ads I've seen, I believe the rationale for the coating is the same as that for using rejuvenator on our asphalt roads -- it restores elasticity and other properties degraded by all the UV light we get. Since the ads have just popped up I would assume this is a new product so I wouldn't know whether it actually works, let alone whether it is a scam. I would certainly advise anyone considering using it to contact their insurance company.
It is not a new product. But, if the shingle manufacturer will not honor their warranty, I don't think insurance companies would be in favor of it.
Old 03-09-2024, 11:26 AM
Sage

I could not find anything in the Certainteed warranty document that specifically addresses roof coatings, but the warrranty exclusion section does exclude:

"Damage caused by structural changes, alterations or additions, or by the installation of equipment
(such as, but not limited to, aerials, signs or air-conditioning equipment) to the building after the
original shingles have been applied."

However, a Certainteed representative told me that they will not honor their warranty if the shingles have been coated with a chemical. Also, the warranty document contains a lot of vague exclusions that the company could use to deny a warranty claim.
Old 03-09-2024, 06:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob45 View Post
Has anybody had their roof coated? Or contacted their insurance company to see if it is an accepted practice? I have seen advertisements that this coating will add life to your roof. Just wondering if it is a scam.
TIA Bob
I looked into this about five years ago but the cost (per year) of extending the life of the shingles was the same as the annualised cost of a new roof, so it made no sense.

btw, I also looked into the white coating that helps reflect the Sun but apparently that is not allowed under Florida's building code. I didn't get as far as asking ARC if they would allow it.
Old 03-09-2024, 06:34 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,760 Times in 758 Posts
Default Cynic me

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Not a scam, but Certainteed does not recommend it and says that they will not honor your shingle warranty.
Not surprised any single manufacturer would not honor their "warranty" ! What would a person get if a 25 yr. shingle lasted 15 years ? Would it be similar to a 25,000 mi. tire that you get about $4.00 credit for at 16,000 ? My ink jet printer also warns me about buying any ink other than their brand. I've been buying another brand on the internet for six years now (not refilled cartridges, I have an ink tank so buy bottles of ink) and what have I found, the ink bottles that are 55% LESS than my printer's brand, are just as brilliant in color and print beautifully. So the if shingle manufacturer does not "recommend it", would make me wonder a bit ?
Old 03-10-2024, 04:34 AM

I think the question to be asked is if I were to have the coating applied, would my homeowner insurance company still demand that I change the roof at 15 years no matter what the condition?
Old 03-10-2024, 06:09 AM

You do not coat shingles. You coat a flat roof
Old 03-10-2024, 06:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyre View Post
I think that the product referred to by the OP is designed to "renew" shingles by softening them up a bit so that they do not crack as easily - presumably oils etc. originally in shingles dry out over time.
Old 03-10-2024, 07:07 AM

Save your money. If your roof needs to be replaced do it. Your insurance company won’t reinsure you because you have it done
Old 03-10-2024, 08:05 AM

Quote:
TIA Bob
What did your insurance company say when you called them?
Old 03-10-2024, 10:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyre View Post
Not true.
Old 03-10-2024, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
I think that the product referred to by the OP is designed to "renew" shingles by softening them up a bit so that they do not crack as easily - presumably oils etc. originally in shingles dry out over time.
We had Roof Rejuvenate brand coating (not Roof Maxx). They first seal all penetrations on the roof with calk and they lay a thick coat of their product. It leaves a shine on plants and is not harmful. The grit loss off the roof immediately stopped. Yes, the idea is to maintain flexibility especially in a storm. It is more expensive than I expected but I’m happy with the results. My insurance company is Tower Hill. The product is known to them but too new to garner a discount. Tower Hill Exchange also pro-rates roof claims much like your car tire warranty, so their exposure is less and they have no 15-year limit.

Last edited by 3105boy; 03-10-2024 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Add information.
Old 03-10-2024, 04:06 PM
Default Roof coatings

Quote:
TIA Bob
It's not a scam, some products like ROOFMAX do recondition asphalt shingles, however The building dept, your insurance carrier and the roof shingle manufacture will not recognize or approve these coatings.

Tags
roof, coating, add, life, wondering

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.