Roof down payment

Closed Thread
Old 05-28-2020, 06:46 AM
Default Roof down payment

I will be getting a new roof, insurance is paying for most of it. For others that have done this work I'd like to know what should be the down payment. The roofing company APC is asking for the whole insurance amount less the deductible when we sign paper is this normal ?

Last edited by inda50; 05-31-2020 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:53 AM
Sage

Never pay anything up front in Fl for any home repair !!!!!! What happens after the check clears and they go bankrupt or disappear ???

Also, demand a certificate of insurance from any contractor working on your property !!!
Old 05-28-2020, 06:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,730 Times in 5,250 Posts

I wouldn't pay them any money in advance, or any other contractor who does work for me. I have a friend who had their roof replaced by McGinnis Roofing. The contractor did the entire project and then presented the homeowner with a bill. No upfront or progress payments required.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:42 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

When we had our roof replaced in Ohio they accepted the insurance amount as payment in full after the job was completed, nothing up front and they covered the deductible. Try another company.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
When we had our roof replaced in Ohio they accepted the insurance amount as payment in full after the job was completed, nothing up front and they covered the deductible. Try another company.
Many companies waive the deductible but this practice is considered insurance fraud.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Zero. If they want down payment, get another roofing company.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:23 AM
Veteran member

Before making the final payment demand that you be furnished with a " Waiver Of Claims And Liens And Release Of Rights" signed by the major suppliers and subcontractors involved in your project. Some contractors will push against this extra bit of paperwork but it is your full right to demand it. Our roofing contractor, which is well known and established in the Tri-county area, presented the waiver upon completion of the job at the time full payment was due. I doubt that he had paid the materials supplier within the 1 day of delivery and installation, but now that is between those 2 parties. It also indicated to me that he probably has an excellent reputation with his supplier which in my mind makes him a better contractor.

A lesson to be learned: Our neighbor had a beautiful driveway covered in pavers this past February by one of the local "well known", "has a display on the Squares Market Nights" companies, no money down, paid on completion and 3 weeks later was notified of a lien placed on her property by the supplier of the pavers for unpaid materials. When called, the contractor told her that "things were a bit tight right now because of "C-19" but all would be good in 2 or 3 months". Now she has a good chance of paying 1 1/2 times for her driveway work.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inda50 View Post
I will be getting a new roof, insurance is paying for most of it. For others that have done this work I'd like to know what should be the down payment. The roofing company ACP is asking for the whole insurance amount less the deductible when we sign paper is this normal ?
Had a new roof installed last Thursday. Insurance company sent a partial payment to our address---made out to me, my husband and the roofing company that did the work. The roofing company is coming today to pick up the partial check---I am under the impression that the insurance will send the balance due to us as they did the original check. They held this until the work was complete. The roofing company will then bill us for our deductible. I would not pay anything upfront! We were willing to give them the partial payment once the roofing supplies were delivered but was not necessary. 11-1/2 hours of hard work by 7 men and our roof was completed in one day. The roofing supervisor came by the next day and inspected their work. Still waiting on the County inspector but paperwork is taped to window awaiting them.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Quote:
I will be getting a new roof, insurance is paying for most of it. For others that have done this work I'd like to know what should be the down payment. The roofing company ACP is asking for the whole insurance amount less the deductible when we sign paper is this normal ?
Be sure you do NOT sign an 'assignments of benefits' document, as for the down payment this does not sound right, i would withold until the job is done AND the insurance has paid their portion. Also as noted above get the waiver of lines form.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:20 AM

"what should be the down payment"

zero!

In fact, the same company did our roof. APC waited for me to receive the check from our insurer -- we received it weeks after APC finished the roofing. I deposited the check.

Satisfied with the job, I wrote a check to APC.

All good.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybill2 View Post
I am under the impression that the insurance will send the balance due to us as they did the original check.
Never do business "under the impression" That's just this side of "I assumed".
Old 05-29-2020, 05:24 AM
Veteran member

Everything everyone said is totally correct Florida is known as a high fraud state for contractors. Zero and a hand shake is reputable
Old 05-29-2020, 05:40 AM

Not with Insurance claims, it does not work this way...also FYI, if Insurance has added the roofer to the payment, you automatically
know the contractor is licensed and insured.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:43 AM

Not a correct request....your payment will be split into 2 checks, the ACV and the recoverable depreciation. You surrender the ACV to them, pay the deductible upon installation, and the depreciation is released by your carrier when they get the COC (Certificate Of Completion) from the building inspector. That check should come to you, not APC, you then give it to them.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:51 AM
Default Definitely Not Don’t do that

Quote:
The deductible they can ask for prior to starting the job and that’s the normal way it’s done.I just had my room replaced in the summer and it came out great, great workmanship, great crew and the insurance company paid them. So if you have a problem you’ll probably be on your own. 5 Star roofing was here for one day and finished the job.They have done quite a few jobs around my village and everyone is happy with the work and none of them paid for the job upfront. My salesman was Justin Schumaker and he handled all the paperwork through the whole insurance process and we paid when the job was done his phone number is 813-416-5844.
Closed Thread

Tags
insurance, roof, payment, company, paper

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.