Roof Flashing Issue Roof Flashing Issue - Talk of The Villages Florida

Roof Flashing Issue

Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 10-08-2026, 03:04 PM
kingofbeer kingofbeer is online now
Gold Member
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 784
Thanks: 4
Thanked 366 Times in 233 Posts
Default Roof Flashing Issue

I noticed a decent amount of water on the garage floor near the exterior wall. Called up the Warranty Department. They are contacting the roofer telling me that it sounds like a flashing issue. Has anyone had this problem before? Tons of rain the last 3 days.
  #2  
Unread Yesterday, 05:11 AM
TMHwestford TMHwestford is offline
Newbie
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 40
Thanks: 37
Thanked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofbeer View Post
I noticed a decent amount of water on the garage floor near the exterior wall. Called up the Warranty Department. They are contacting the roofer telling me that it sounds like a flashing issue. Has anyone had this problem before? Tons of rain the last 3 days.
But no signs of water on the ceiling? Is there wet drywall near the floor in the area you see the water or is the base molding wet? Do you have gutters? Wood frame or concrete home?
  #3  
Unread Yesterday, 08:04 AM
djlnc djlnc is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 306
Thanks: 7
Thanked 238 Times in 116 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofbeer View Post
I noticed a decent amount of water on the garage floor near the exterior wall. Called up the Warranty Department. They are contacting the roofer telling me that it sounds like a flashing issue. Has anyone had this problem before? Tons of rain the last 3 days.
I was playing Beautyberry many months ago and I noticed on some of the new construction they had the underlayment on the roof, and there were areas where the material coming down from the peak was laying under the material below. I wonder if you have one of those.
  #4  
Unread Yesterday, 08:36 AM
kingofbeer kingofbeer is online now
Gold Member
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 784
Thanks: 4
Thanked 366 Times in 233 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMHwestford View Post
But no signs of water on the ceiling? Is there wet drywall near the floor in the area you see the water or is the base molding wet? Do you have gutters? Wood frame or concrete home?
But no signs of water on the ceiling? Nothing on ceiling.

Is there wet drywall near the floor in the area you see the water or is the base molding wet? There is no drywall in that area of the garage. It is precast concrete wall. See water on the floor and the base molding is wet.

Do you have gutters? Yes

Wood frame or concrete home? precast (pre-formed) concrete walls
  #5  
Unread Yesterday, 08:37 AM
kingofbeer kingofbeer is online now
Gold Member
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 784
Thanks: 4
Thanked 366 Times in 233 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlnc View Post
I was playing Beautyberry many months ago and I noticed on some of the new construction they had the underlayment on the roof, and there were areas where the material coming down from the peak was laying under the material below. I wonder if you have one of those.
This is a courtyard villa home with precast (pre-formed) concrete walls.
  #6  
Unread Yesterday, 03:48 PM
BookerBo BookerBo is online now
Newbie
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Hawkins - Fairfax, VA - Tampa, FL
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Default

I had this same issue. I thought it was flashing too. The leak was in the garage along the shared wall with entry way. It leaked out at the wall and garage ceiling, no visible damage to the ceiling. I thought my warranty had expired so I ran a bead of asphalt caulk along the flashing. It was a rare occurrence for it to leak. Heavy winds were the common denomintaor, so in 5 years it leaked about 5 times. Once I realized the caulk didnt fix it, i rechecked my warranty and saw infrastructure issues were still covered. Warranty roofer came out. The original roofer, very good reputation for quality of work, so he told me . He was mad to even be there. Went back to the warranty office and had them void my entire roof warranty. I thought well thats absurd, a bead of caulk? I went and got estimates, and every roofer I talked to said the same thing. $2800, very common problem with raised entryways. I raised a stink with warranty. My justification was the estimates, common issue and I did have signs of a repaired ceiling on the other side, but in the entryway. After quite some time, I was able to convince the developer and the same roofer to come out, they ran water for quite a while on every part of that juncture they could think of and could not find the source of the leak. They were in the attic with flashlights. Couldn't find anything. We were talking on the porch and the developer thought of something, we then all went over to a neighbors looked at the roof and confirmed the problem was most likely the vented soffit on the the raised roof. The neighbors was solid, no vents. I had vented soffits. The wind would blow water off the main roof, hit the sidewall and blow it into the vent. So far I have not seen a leak after they replaced the soffit under warranty. But I have not seen very high winds either. So check the roof over your entry way on the sides, vented soffits are bad (supposedly). Should be a warranty issue. The front vented soffit is OK. Good luck!
  #7  
Unread Yesterday, 03:57 PM
kingofbeer kingofbeer is online now
Gold Member
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 784
Thanks: 4
Thanked 366 Times in 233 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookerBo View Post
I had this same issue. I thought it was flashing too. The leak was in the garage along the shared wall with entry way. It leaked out at the wall and garage ceiling, no visible damage to the ceiling. I thought my warranty had expired so I ran a bead of asphalt caulk along the flashing. It was a rare occurrence for it to leak. Heavy winds were the common denomintaor, so in 5 years it leaked about 5 times. Once I realized the caulk didnt fix it, i rechecked my warranty and saw infrastructure issues were still covered. Warranty roofer came out. The original roofer, very good reputation for quality of work, so he told me . He was mad to even be there. Went back to the warranty office and had them void my entire roof warranty. I thought well thats absurd, a bead of caulk? I went and got estimates, and every roofer I talked to said the same thing. $2800, very common problem with raised entryways. I raised a stink with warranty. My justification was the estimates, common issue and I did have signs of a repaired ceiling on the other side, but in the entryway. After quite some time, I was able to convince the developer and the same roofer to come out, they ran water for quite a while on every part of that juncture they could think of and could not find the source of the leak. They were in the attic with flashlights. Couldn't find anything. We were talking on the porch and the developer thought of something, we then all went over to a neighbors looked at the roof and confirmed the problem was most likely the vented soffit on the the raised roof. The neighbors was solid, no vents. I had vented soffits. The wind would blow water off the main roof, hit the sidewall and blow it into the vent. So far I have not seen a leak after they replaced the soffit under warranty. But I have not seen very high winds either. So check the roof over your entry way on the sides, vented soffits are bad (supposedly). Should be a warranty issue. The front vented soffit is OK. Good luck!
Thanks! Good information. We are waiting for the roofing company to come out and take a look and fix.
""Went back to the warranty office and had them void my entire roof warranty" . The roofer had them void the entire roofing warranty?
  #8  
Unread Yesterday, 04:32 PM
BookerBo BookerBo is online now
Newbie
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Hawkins - Fairfax, VA - Tampa, FL
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofbeer View Post
Thanks! Good information. We are waiting for the roofing company to come out and take a look and fix.
""Went back to the warranty office and had them void my entire roof warranty" . The roofer had them void the entire roofing warranty?
I think the justification was another contractor had performed work. He was mad his reputation was at stake. I think they are good roofers, but he wanted out. So blame someone else. Dont know what assumptions he made other than warranty said get the contractor who did the repair to come out, my warranty was voided. Had to convince them there was not a contractor involved. I did it. But I think other circumstances prevailed.
  #9  
Unread Today, 05:25 AM
TMHwestford TMHwestford is offline
Newbie
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 40
Thanks: 37
Thanked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofbeer View Post
But no signs of water on the ceiling? Nothing on ceiling.

Is there wet drywall near the floor in the area you see the water or is the base molding wet? There is no drywall in that area of the garage. It is precast concrete wall. See water on the floor and the base molding is wet.

Do you have gutters? Yes

Wood frame or concrete home? precast (pre-formed) concrete walls
I asked about gutters because I wonder if water couldn't get between the slab and the bottom of the wall whether precast or wood, I'd say it's less likely with gutters.
This storm wasn't very windy so a roof leak on a newer home seems unlikely and if there was I'd think it would be pretty obvious.
Below someone mentioned vented soffit, any chance your neighbor has a broken sprinkler head up against your garage that's spraying straight up into your soffit? We are also in a cyv and had this happen although we didn't have any water damage.
  #10  
Unread Today, 06:54 AM
La lamy's Avatar
La lamy La lamy is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 2,376
Thanks: 565
Thanked 2,729 Times in 1,156 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookerBo View Post
I had this same issue. I thought it was flashing too. The leak was in the garage along the shared wall with entry way. It leaked out at the wall and garage ceiling, no visible damage to the ceiling. I thought my warranty had expired so I ran a bead of asphalt caulk along the flashing. It was a rare occurrence for it to leak. Heavy winds were the common denomintaor, so in 5 years it leaked about 5 times. Once I realized the caulk didnt fix it, i rechecked my warranty and saw infrastructure issues were still covered. Warranty roofer came out. The original roofer, very good reputation for quality of work, so he told me . He was mad to even be there. Went back to the warranty office and had them void my entire roof warranty. I thought well thats absurd, a bead of caulk? I went and got estimates, and every roofer I talked to said the same thing. $2800, very common problem with raised entryways. I raised a stink with warranty. My justification was the estimates, common issue and I did have signs of a repaired ceiling on the other side, but in the entryway. After quite some time, I was able to convince the developer and the same roofer to come out, they ran water for quite a while on every part of that juncture they could think of and could not find the source of the leak. They were in the attic with flashlights. Couldn't find anything. We were talking on the porch and the developer thought of something, we then all went over to a neighbors looked at the roof and confirmed the problem was most likely the vented soffit on the the raised roof. The neighbors was solid, no vents. I had vented soffits. The wind would blow water off the main roof, hit the sidewall and blow it into the vent. So far I have not seen a leak after they replaced the soffit under warranty. But I have not seen very high winds either. So check the roof over your entry way on the sides, vented soffits are bad (supposedly). Should be a warranty issue. The front vented soffit is OK. Good luck!
Vented soffits are very important to prevent attic mold as far as I know. You may want to inspect in there once a year to see if closing off the vent didn't create issues.
  #11  
Unread Today, 08:32 AM
kingofbeer kingofbeer is online now
Gold Member
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 784
Thanks: 4
Thanked 366 Times in 233 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMHwestford View Post
I asked about gutters because I wonder if water couldn't get between the slab and the bottom of the wall whether precast or wood, I'd say it's less likely with gutters.
This storm wasn't very windy so a roof leak on a newer home seems unlikely and if there was I'd think it would be pretty obvious.
Below someone mentioned vented soffit, any chance your neighbor has a broken sprinkler head up against your garage that's spraying straight up into your soffit? We are also in a cyv and had this happen although we didn't have any water damage.
The sprinkler head is far away from our house. I don't think it's leaking. We had rain for 3 days straight and I just happened to go into the garage and notice a puddle of water on the garage floor.
Reply

Tags
issue, flashing, sounds, roof, roofer


You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 AM.