Roof replacement

Old 03-07-2024, 07:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,160 Times in 2,252 Posts
Default Roof replacement

I posed this question to an advertiser, and almost immediately the entire thread disappeared so let's get some other thoughts and opinions.

If the insurance companies are going to force you to replace your roof every 10 to (if you are lucky) 15 years, why would you go for the expensive long life roof shingles? I was thinking about this as an acquaintance spent several thousand dollars extra for 25 or 30 year shingles. I am thinking I would go cheap as I will either be dead or I will have saved a lot of money. I have not heard of any insurance company requirements for the QUALITY OF THE SHINGLES.

Looking forward to some inciteful discussion on this.
Old 03-07-2024, 07:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,743 Times in 5,255 Posts

I didn't know you could buy a cheaper asphalt shingle. Can you provide some information about it?
Old 03-07-2024, 08:08 PM

Has anyone ever considered a metal shingle? Are the allowed?
I have them on my house in Pa., they look like a standard shingle only have a shine.
Looks like the will hold up to the wind 120 mph & hail here & have a 40 yr. warranty.
Check out Kasselandirons.com Kasselwood steel shingle.
Old 03-07-2024, 08:39 PM
Sage

If you are talking 3-tab shingles to get the cost down as low as possible, I would think twice about that. What you have is probably architectural shingles. Perhaps Certainteed Landmark, a pretty common architectural shingle used around the time your house was built. I think that is the least you would want to do for the aesthetics. You can spend more for a different look and possibly a longer life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I posed this question to an advertiser, and almost immediately the entire thread disappeared so let's get some other thoughts and opinions.

If the insurance companies are going to force you to replace your roof every 10 to (if you are lucky) 15 years, why would you go for the expensive long life roof shingles? I was thinking about this as an acquaintance spent several thousand dollars extra for 25 or 30 year shingles. I am thinking I would go cheap as I will either be dead or I will have saved a lot of money. I have not heard of any insurance company requirements for the QUALITY OF THE SHINGLES.

Looking forward to some inciteful discussion on this.

Last edited by biker1; 03-08-2024 at 06:11 AM.
Old 03-07-2024, 09:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired guy View Post
Has anyone ever considered a metal shingle? Are the allowed?
I received permission from ARC for a metal roof "as long as it looks like shingles" - presumably rather than sheet metal - but opted for the regular shingles.

I was also tempted by a Tesla roof, but that was too expensive as a part-time resident.

Either way, it would be worth checking with your insurance company that they wouldn't insist on replacing it every 15-20 years.
Old 03-07-2024, 10:22 PM

You would think if roof shingles were an “issue” in this part of the country they would consider alternatives. We visited another FL retirement village over near the Gulf and all those homes had the tile roofs.
Old 03-07-2024, 11:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,943 Times in 2,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I didn't know you could buy a cheaper asphalt shingle. Can you provide some information about it?
Todays prices like like $39 square or $59 square for asphalt shingles. 3 tab shingles are $35 square.
Old 03-07-2024, 11:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
If you are talking 3-tab shingles, I would think twice about that, assuming they still make them. What you have is probably 25 year architectural shingles (which doesn’t mean they will last that long). Perhaps Certainteed Landmark. I think that is the least you would want to do for the aesthetics. You can spend more for a different look and possibly a longer life.
Yes they still make them for $35 square, my 3 tab roof was still in good shape, no leaks, no buckling, loosing little sand after 21 years. I had to replace perfectly good roof just to get insurance. I still see 3 tab roofs around villages.
Old 03-08-2024, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Yes they still make them for $35 square, my 3 tab roof was still in good shape, no leaks, no buckling, loosing little sand after 21 years. I had to replace perfectly good roof just to get insurance. I still see 3 tab roofs around villages.
I could be wrong, but don't think so. Are you sure about what you posted? I have done some roofing in my day. $35.00 a square for 3 tab shingles??? Maybe $35.00 a bundle - 3 bundles to a square - that would be $105.00 a square (material only). That was the price some years ago..... have no clue what it is now. I just KNOW it's NOT $35.00 a square.
Old 03-08-2024, 05:51 AM
Veteran member

This is a question that needs to be answered by your insurance company. They have at risk data they rely on to set rates. If their data shows cheaper roofs fail more often, you will be looking at a higher insurance rate. I suppose one would have to look at the amount saved on the cheaper roof vrs the possible hike in insurance to determine which is more cost-effective.

Last edited by Randall55; 03-08-2024 at 06:03 AM.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
This is a question that needs to be answered by your insurance company. They have at risk data they rely on to set rates. If their data shows cheaper roofs fail more often, you will be looking at a higher insurance rate. I suppose one would have to look at the amount saved on the cheaper roof vrs the possible hike in insurance to determine which is more cost-effective.
Interesting. Problem as I see it is after 5-10 years will you still have the same insurance company. What one says might be different down the road from another.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:09 AM
Default metal roof !

Isn't it a bummer that metal roofs are used on rec centers and neighborhood postal/pool buildings, but we're required to have ugly shingle roofs that are mostly excellent at heating our attics?

The Villages would have been a modern and young looking place if metal had been used on all roofs for the past 30 years. Really nothing different here than in 90% of the humdrum cookie-cutter homes throughout the US.

Yeah, they're more expensive; but they last longer, more energy efficient, and better storm protection.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4$ALE View Post
I could be wrong, but don't think so. Are you sure about what you posted? I have done some roofing in my day. $35.00 a square for 3 tab shingles??? Maybe $35.00 a bundle - 3 bundles to a square - that would be $105.00 a square (material only). That was the price some years ago..... have no clue what it is now. I just KNOW it's NOT $35.00 a square.
You’re right it was bundle prices was from Lowe’s
Old 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillarick View Post
Isn't it a bummer that metal roofs are used on rec centers and neighborhood postal/pool buildings, but we're required to have ugly shingle roofs that are mostly excellent at heating our attics?

The Villages would have been a modern and young looking place if metal had been used on all roofs for the past 30 years. Really nothing different here than in 90% of the humdrum cookie-cutter homes throughout the US.

Yeah, they're more expensive; but they last longer, more energy efficient, and better storm protection.
If you look at townhouses around Spanish springs you will see all three with different colors on same townhouses. Shingles, tile, and metal, all mixed colors. Looks like _____ to me.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlR33 View Post
You would think if roof shingles were an “issue” in this part of the country they would consider alternatives. We visited another FL retirement village over near the Gulf and all those homes had the tile roofs.

IMO In central Florida Shingles are not problem, suspicion inspectors are the problem, most shingle in Florida last 20 years or more unless there was unusual weather incident.

Tags
roof, shingles, thinking, insurance, year

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.