Roof replacement

Old 03-08-2024, 09:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,942 Times in 2,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
This is a question that needs to be answered by your insurance company. They have at risk data they rely on to set rates. If their data shows cheaper roofs fail more often, you will be looking at a higher insurance rate. I suppose one would have to look at the amount saved on the cheaper roof vrs the possible hike in insurance to determine which is more cost-effective.
Like going get straight answer out of them
Old 03-08-2024, 09:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,942 Times in 2,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Todays prices like like $39 bundles or $59 for asphalt shingles. 3 tab shingles are $35 .
Corrected used wrong terminology.
Old 03-08-2024, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
IMO In central Florida Shingles are not problem, suspicion inspectors are the problem, most shingle in Florida last 20 years or more unless there was unusual weather incident.
Roofing companies who do an inspection planning on telling the homeowner he needs a new roof and than insurance companies paying for the roof without doing an independent inspection.
Old 03-08-2024, 11:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Like going get straight answer out of them
I speak with my insurance agent anytime I am planning to make modifications in my home. In this case, I would explain that I am planning a new roof. I would then ask what my rate would be if I replaced with cheaper shingles. I have never met an agent who would not supply a new rate.

I have learned that it is better to be upfront than trying to hide the cheaper modification. They are going to notice the cheaper shingles sooner or later and you will be forced to pay the increased insurance rate. With the information at hand, you can decide which route is better BEFORE spending your money on the modification.

The question seems to be: would you rather have a cheaper roof with possible higher insurance rates and risk OR expensive shingles with possible lower insurance rates and risk?

Last edited by margaretmattson; 03-08-2024 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-08-2024, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post
I speak with my insurance agent anytime I am planning to make modifications in my home. In this case, I would explain that I am planning a new roof. I would then ask what my rate would be if I replaced with cheaper shingles. I have never met an agent who would not supply a new rate.

I have learned that it is better to be upfront than trying to hide the cheaper modification. They are going to notice the cheaper shingles sooner or later and you will be forced to pay the increased insurance rate. With the information at hand, you can decide which route is better BEFORE spending your money on the modification.

The question seems to be: would you rather have a cheaper roof with possible higher insurance rates and risk OR expensive shingles with possible lower insurance rates and risk?
But there is no guarantee that the answer that you get from your insurance company today will still be their policy a year or two down the road. What's permissible today may be prohibited in a couple of years.

So, if you spend several thousand extra dollars thinking that it will give you a longer life on your roof shingles, a change in requirements by your insurance company a year or two later can mean that the extra money you spent is just money that's down the drain.

Old 03-08-2024, 11:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. C. Rider View Post
But there is no guarantee that the answer that you get from your insurance company today will still be their policy a year or two down the road. What's permissible today may be prohibited in a couple of years.

So, if you spend several thousand extra dollars thinking that it will give you a longer life on your roof shingles, a change in requirements by your insurance company a year or two later can mean that the extra money you spent is just money that's down the drain.

The insurance agent's immediate answer will give you insight. If they have different rates for types of shingles, this will not change in the future. Cheaper shingles will always carry a higher rate. It is an at risk assessment. Homes that have a higher risk potential always pay higher rates.

Manufacturers of building materials supply an estimated life expectancy.They supply a warranty for defect.

Insurance companies compile data from claims paid. They use this data to assess at risk. If many claims were made by homeowners with cheaper shingles, future policy holders will pay more if their homes have these types of shingles. Once this assessment is made, it will not change.

BTW: a roofer charges labor when placing a new roof. This cost will not change no matter if you choose to use cheaper shingles. Your savings will only be the difference in cost of the shingles. A roofer will place whatever shingles the homeowner decides as long as they meet building code. There is no reason to force any owner to purchase expensive singles.

Don't forget about ARC approval. They may not allow the choice to use a different type of shingle.

Last edited by Randall55; 03-09-2024 at 12:34 AM.
Old 03-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,742 Times in 5,255 Posts

Personally, I would not try to save money on roof shingles. I would go with the standard Villages type used on most houses. You never know when you may need to make a repair and to match the existing shingles.
Old 03-09-2024, 04:59 AM
Veteran member

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/..._FLPklO79LeG1e

A guy can dream can’t he?!
Love this whole concept...not sure if it is allowed or price point but Tesla and its competitors appear to say its a 25 year option. As always I’d love the feedback
Old 03-09-2024, 05:07 AM

Unfortunately the roofers in this area are overcharging. Three years ago I got quotes for replacing my roof, 1527 sf, from $12,600 to $15,400 with architectural shingles. Told the follow-up call from the sales rep I’d pay them $8500. They said no can do. I told him I have roofers I use in my skylight business in Atlanta that I’d bring down and with travel, hotel, etc., I get it done for less than $8500. Twenty minutes later I get a call back and they accepted my offer. Paid an extra $500 for some sheathing replacement but saved thousands just by letting them know I knew what real costs are. Of course they didn’t know that I did not have a license from the Florida State Construction Licensing Industry Board nor WC for Florida. Most people here never check the board’s online access regarding licenses for contractors. Unlicensed contractors here have actually been arrested on the job and taken to jail for not having a state license. Buyer, beware.
Old 03-09-2024, 05:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heytubes View Post
Unfortunately the roofers in this area are overcharging. Three years ago I got quotes for replacing my roof, 1527 sf, from $12,600 to $15,400 with architectural shingles. Told the follow-up call from the sales rep I’d pay them $8500. They said no can do. I told him I have roofers I use in my skylight business in Atlanta that I’d bring down and with travel, hotel, etc., I get it done for less than $8500. Twenty minutes later I get a call back and they accepted my offer. Paid an extra $500 for some sheathing replacement but saved thousands just by letting them know I knew what real costs are. Of course they didn’t know that I did not have a license from the Florida State Construction Licensing Industry Board nor WC for Florida. Most people here never check the board’s online access regarding licenses for contractors. Unlicensed contractors here have actually been arrested on the job and taken to jail for not having a state license. Buyer, beware.
Wow, what a great plan though if it actually played out...
Old 03-09-2024, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
If you are talking 3-tab shingles to get the cost down as low as possible, I would think twice about that. What you have is probably architectural shingles. Perhaps Certainteed Landmark, a pretty common architectural shingle used around the time your house was built. I think that is the least you would want to do for the aesthetics. You can spend more for a different look and possibly a longer life.
A lot of insurance companies no longer accept 3-tab shingles
Old 03-09-2024, 07:04 AM

Our home had a 15 year old architectural shingle roof when we bought it. I expected the common response from insurance to replace it however an inspection (their choice who) determined it was good for another 5-10 years. I haven't priced roofs yet but it sounds like architectural shingles cost maybe $700 more over 3 tab shingles. Other than the additional life it seems like they may give more protection with higher wind ratings. Possibly avoiding a damaged roof in a storm and the resulting damage in the home sounds like a good investment.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I posed this question to an advertiser, and almost immediately the entire thread disappeared so let's get some other thoughts and opinions.

If the insurance companies are going to force you to replace your roof every 10 to (if you are lucky) 15 years, why would you go for the expensive long life roof shingles? I was thinking about this as an acquaintance spent several thousand dollars extra for 25 or 30 year shingles. I am thinking I would go cheap as I will either be dead or I will have saved a lot of money. I have not heard of any insurance company requirements for the QUALITY OF THE SHINGLES.

Looking forward to some inciteful discussion on this.
This absolutely makes sense! Coming from MA where we do replace roofs with 30-40 year shingles I assumed it was a requirement- will have to see if there is a lesser life shingle in an architectural style!
Old 03-09-2024, 07:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heytubes View Post
People are overcharging Villagers? I'm shocked! As you say, buyer beware.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:35 AM

This is only a suggestion:
Could we propose a meeting maybe POA approved, to get the rec center, so homeowners could learn from each other. Perhaps a post meeting with an Insurance company or appropriate agency to give a presentation to understand the FL rules, Please don’t shoot (bad word to use in todays world) me

Last edited by Bridget Staunton; 03-09-2024 at 07:42 AM.

Tags
roof, shingles, thinking, insurance, year

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.