Roof Venting Hazzard

Closed Thread
Old 05-30-2023, 03:45 PM
Default Roof Venting Hazzard

Warning! If you had your roof replaced you need to check in your attic to see if the metal vent tubes from your clothes dryer and your kitchen stove are attached to the hooded metal vents on top of your shingles. If they are not, it is very dangerous because it can cause mold or possibly a fire hazard. When we had our dryer vent cleaned for the first time after the roof was replaced, the gentleman that did the work told us that he could tell that the dryer vent was not connected. He also told us that he has seen this situation all over The Villages. After he left I went up into the attic and found that what he said was true. But, not only was the dryer vent not connected but the stove vent was also not attached and just hanging in midair, about a foot from being attached.
Old 05-30-2023, 04:04 PM
Default Vent reattachment

Quote:
Originally Posted by delwolf View Post
Warning! If you had your roof replaced you need to check in your attic to see if the metal vent tubes from your clothes dryer and your kitchen stove are attached to the hooded metal vents on top of your shingles. If they are not, it is very dangerous because it can cause mold or possibly a fire hazard. When we had our dryer vent cleaned for the first time after the roof was replaced, the gentleman that did the work told us that he could tell that the dryer vent was not connected. He also told us that he has seen this situation all over The Villages. After he left I went up into the attic and found that what he said was true. But, not only was the dryer vent not connected but the stove vent was also not attached and just hanging in midair, about a foot from being attached.
Was this something you could fix by yourself, or did you need to get someone to reattach them for you?
Old 05-31-2023, 08:21 AM
Default Roof vent hazzard

Absolutely agree. Most of the roofers rip the shingles and vent boxes off the roof and they disconnect the roof vent box on the roof from the vent pipe from your dryer. They merely place a new roof box over the hole in the roof and nail it. Dryer vent is not connected. Most roofers install roofs by the “wham , bam, thank you ma’am method. They definitely did not go into your attic to check or connect your dryer vent. And just because the Sumter County inspected and passed the roof means nothing. The Inspector also does not go into your atttic to check your dryer vent connection. They really don’t even go on the roof to check the roof installation. It’s all about the money. It’s unbelievable how many homes in The Villages do not have their dryer vent sealed, connected and terminated into the roof box above the roof surface.
Old 05-31-2023, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,781 Times in 1,387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Big View Post
Absolutely agree. Most of the roofers rip the shingles and vent boxes off the roof and they disconnect the roof vent box on the roof from the vent pipe from your dryer. They merely place a new roof box over the hole in the roof and nail it. Dryer vent is not connected. Most roofers install roofs by the “wham , bam, thank you ma’am method. They definitely did not go into your attic to check or connect your dryer vent. And just because the Sumter County inspected and passed the roof means nothing. The Inspector also does not go into your atttic to check your dryer vent connection. They really don’t even go on the roof to check the roof installation. It’s all about the money. It’s unbelievable how many homes in The Villages do not have their dryer vent sealed, connected and terminated into the roof box above the roof surface.
How many?

Old 05-31-2023, 09:40 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,325 Times in 598 Posts

Quote:
When we had our dryer vent cleaned for the first time after the roof was replaced, the gentleman that did the work told us that he could tell that the dryer vent was not connected.
What company replaced your roof? Did you call them to complain? What was their response?

Last edited by Rainger99; 05-31-2023 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-31-2023, 11:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,751 Times in 5,257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
How many?

I could tell you, but it is unbelievable, so what would be the point?
Old 05-31-2023, 11:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,751 Times in 5,257 Posts

Quote:
Was this work specifically covered in your roofing contract? Getting access to the attic and reconnecting ducts would be very difficult, and could require a separate contractor. I agree that the roofing contractor should have addressed it with you.
Old 05-31-2023, 07:29 PM

I got the heads up on this issue from my neighbor. Her roofer left dryer vent disconnected.I told my roofer to make sure of the connections, then checked myself.
Everything was good. Some of the connections you could not get to easily.
Old 06-01-2023, 06:02 AM

I had the same experience. Duct not connected during re-roof. I had them come back and do the connection.
Old 06-01-2023, 06:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,184 Times in 1,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadeofdave View Post
I got the heads up on this issue from my neighbor. Her roofer left dryer vent disconnected.I told my roofer to make sure of the connections, then checked myself.
Everything was good. Some of the connections you could not get to easily.
Do all of these connections have to be made from the attic? Is it a safe bet that if your roofing company did not go into your attic that those connections were not made after the new roof was installed?

Tags
vent, dryer, roof, attached, connected

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.