Roommate Finder

Old 09-25-2023, 08:36 AM

When I was younger I owned my own house and needed roomates to help with mortgage payments and utilities. I averaged a yearly turnover rate. Things were fine and then they weren't!! One of them was selling drugs out of my house while I was working and another got so drunk he fell asleep with a cigarette in his mouth and damm near burned my house down with me living in the basement with no way out. I just happened to come upstairs to get a Diet mountain dew and saw a glow from the hallway going to his room! I opened the door and the mattress was burning all around the edges and he was passed out. I had to lift him thru the flames onto the floor and then I dragged the mattress thru my house and threw it in the front yard(luckily it was pouring rain outside to put it out. man if I would not have woke up he would be dead and so would I.
Old 09-25-2023, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,051 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterstang View Post
When I was younger I owned my own house and needed roomates to help with mortgage payments and utilities. I averaged a yearly turnover rate. Things were fine and then they weren't!! One of them was selling drugs out of my house while I was working and another got so drunk he fell asleep with a cigarette in his mouth and damm near burned my house down with me living in the basement with no way out. I just happened to come upstairs to get a Diet mountain dew and saw a glow from the hallway going to his room! I opened the door and the mattress was burning all around the edges and he was passed out. I had to lift him thru the flames onto the floor and then I dragged the mattress thru my house and threw it in the front yard(luckily it was pouring rain outside to put it out. man if I would not have woke up he would be dead and so would I.
Wow
Old 09-25-2023, 09:45 AM

Be very careful with this. You may have your house cased with your add. Some nasty people use this site.
Old 09-26-2023, 01:51 PM

Almost all replies are from people warning OP about all the bad & terrible things that "might" happen to them if they rent out a room in their house. People telling OP to watch episodes of Judge Judy & Netflix's "Worst Roommate Ever!" shows to learn what might happen to them if they rent out a room in their house. Really? Is this a statistically valid concern?

These are television shows designed to "entertain" viewers--the producers find the absolute worst people / situations & put them on television to entertain our voyeuristic tendencies...yet people are really warning OP that these are people & situations they are likely to experience if they rent out a room in their house?!? Really?? How about the tens of thousands of other people who rent out rooms in their house and have a good experience??

The OP has received some good advice. As a former landlord, I 100% agree that if you have someone fill out a rental agreement, label the first & last months rent as a "security deposit". Most importunately, "accidentally" leave one page missing from the application that you can then take to the applicants current residence to have them fill out--get a peak inside their current house & car--whatever condition they keep their current residence in is how you can expect they will keep yours. Some additional suggestions:
1) Forget about asking for personal references--anyone they put down is going to have nice things to say about the applicant. A better suggestion is to ask for their employment history & contact info. for their last 3 employers. If they are jumping from job-to-job every few months, that's a red flag. But if they keep a job for a year or two and their job references check out, that a huge green light.
2) One stipulation you could have is that anyone who wants to rent a room from you must be able to pass a criminal background check and have a credit score of 750 (or whatever # you are comfortable with). Make sure the social security # they give you truly is theirs. While a good (or even decent) credit score doesn't mean you'll necessarily get a long with the person, if they don't have a criminal record and DO have a decent credit score, it's extremely unlikely they'll turn into "THE ROOMMATE FROM HELL!!!"

Good luck OP.

One thing I've noticed is that as people age & get frailer (both physically & mentally) they get more much more cautious, sometimes even fearful. But more often than not, the things we worry about never even happen.
Old 09-26-2023, 02:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyD View Post
One thing I've noticed is that as people age & get frailer (both physically & mentally) they get more much more cautious, sometimes even fearful. But more often than not, the things we worry about never even happen.
But when they do happen it can be catastrophic
Old 10-03-2023, 01:51 PM

I might be interested for January thru April at which time I'll be returning to my Michigan home. We have a Villa in Fenney that I've rented out for those months. My husband is not yet retired and is Michigan full time. However, he may come down for a visit once a month. If you'd like more information you can contact me at dewcrews@aol.com.
Old 10-19-2023, 07:02 PM
Default Looking for a room to rent January through March or April

Quiet widowed female would like to rent a room in a female Villager's home with private bathroom and kitchen privileges. When in The Villages, I spend my time bicycling, attending line dance classes, and reading in my room.
Old 10-19-2023, 07:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatB1123 View Post
Quiet widowed female would like to rent a room in a female Villager's home with private bathroom and kitchen privileges. When in The Villages, I spend my time bicycling, attending line dance classes, and reading in my room.
Hope it all goes well for you.
Old 02-01-2024, 11:42 PM
Default Roommate

Hi,
My name is Austin, I'm looking for a roommate also. I will be travto the villages for a week or so at a time, multiple times a year. I'm looking for another guy in the villages to live with. I haven't retired yet, I'm looking to experience and explore the villages.. I've been to the villages a couple of times, don't know anyone but love the lifestyle, looking to meet new friends and have some fun. Feel free to reach out, and ask any questions you have.
Thanks, Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acordionist View Post
I am separated and live by myself in The Villages in a house with one empty room and bathroom for guests. I would like to find a suitable person renting it . Is this the right venue to find one?
Old 02-02-2024, 12:43 AM
Platinum member

You live by yourself? Count your blessings
Old 02-02-2024, 08:40 AM

Do they have to listen to accordion music!? Lol

Tags
find, suitable, person, guests, roommate

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.