Roseate Spoonbills

Closed Thread
Old 07-03-2012, 06:02 PM
Sage
Default Roseate Spoonbills

I was driving on Talley Ridge Drive about 6:30 this evening and saw 6 beautiful pink roseate spoonbills at the edge of the pond. This was the Stirrup Cup course at the 8th green.

I have seen lots of other exotic birds in The Villages but this is a first time I have seen roseate spoonbills. I have seen them in Sanibel, Florida but that is about 200 miles south.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Gold member
Location: Northfield IL, Tampa FL, Norway, Boynton Beach FL, Highland Park IL, Gilchrist soon!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...State_Park.jpg

I had to look it up. Beautiful bird!

Wherever I am is where I'm supposed to be
Old 07-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Wow, that was a nice find. We've never seen them around here, but have seen them out near Cape Canaveral National Seashore.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I'm on the lookout for those lovely pink birds. Thanks for the head's up.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodgirl View Post
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...State_Park.jpg

I had to look it up. Beautiful bird!
Thanks for the great link to the picture. Yep, that is exactly what they looked like. Unfortunately, by the time I drove the cart home, grabbed the camera, and returned - they were gone. Maybe they were just stopping by for a Lifestyle Preview Visit!
Old 07-04-2012, 08:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Thanks for the great link to the picture. Yep, that is exactly what they looked like. Unfortunately, by the time I drove the cart home, grabbed the camera, and returned - they were gone. Maybe they were just stopping by for a Lifestyle Preview Visit!
I hope so Buggy. I just love the birds that are here on campus. I am working on a large painting of an egret right now.

What fun to hear these pink beauties were here. If they were on a lifestyle visit, soon they will be residents, that's the way THAT works.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:29 AM
Gold member
Location: Northfield IL, Tampa FL, Norway, Boynton Beach FL, Highland Park IL, Gilchrist soon!

Oh, Gracie! I do hope you are correct! Wouldn't that be loverly!!

Wherever I am is where I'm supposed to be
Old 07-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Location: Brooklyn, NY Queens, NY Village of Summerhill, Village of Santiago

Checked my bird book. These birds are found year round at the shores of Florida. They usually come inland and are found all over Florida in the winter months. You were so lucky to have seen them here. White pelicans are also supposed to be all thru Florida in the winter months and I saw a flock of 8 in the Summerhill pond last week. They came to the Summerhill pond the last two years also. Always in the end of June and just for a day. Love seeing all these beautiful birds. The only birds I saw in NY were pigeons !
Old 07-04-2012, 01:27 PM

I saw them too by the Lopez pond where there is a driving range and the balls are hit in the water. I saw 4 of them right after all the rain. Anyway, I think they came inland because of TS Debby to get away from the coast as they usually are not here during this time of year.

I'm the type of woman that when I get up in the morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up"!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.