Round About Question- Yikes!!!

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2023, 05:01 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,335 Times in 390 Posts

Im not sure what I like better…another roundabout thread..or a really good dog poop thread
Old 10-18-2023, 05:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,058 Times in 4,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Im not sure what I like better…another roundabout thread..or a really good dog poop thread
Pretty much a tie
Old 10-18-2023, 05:31 PM

Multiple lane roundabouts can be challenging. Despite what the armchair lawyers say, often when you enter the roundabout in the left lane destined for the second exit, a car will enter the right lane at the first exit either ignoring you in the other lane or entering just as you are passing and speed up to the point that as you ready to take the second exit in the left lane they are either next to you in the right lane or just behind you so close as to make a right turn dangerous. Do you have the right away? Most likely.
Old 10-18-2023, 06:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
MMPS are great threads too. Walk against traffic or with traffic? Do golf carts have the right of way or do the walkers? Should bicyclists honk to let walkers know they are behind them? Always interesting. And, ALWAYS many posts.
Old 10-18-2023, 06:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrjck View Post
Multiple lane roundabouts can be challenging. Despite what the armchair lawyers say, often when you enter the roundabout in the left lane destined for the second exit, a car will enter the right lane at the first exit either ignoring you in the other lane or entering just as you are passing and speed up to the point that as you ready to take the second exit in the left lane they are either next to you in the right lane or just behind you so close as to make a right turn dangerous. Do you have the right away? Most likely.
I do not see it as arm chair lawyer. If you approach a roundabout and see a vehicle driving in the inside circle, COMMON SENSE dictates that vehicle must cross over the outside lane to exit. There is no other way for him to exit but to cross over your lane. This is when you yield.

You do not get into the roundabout and speed up because you feel waiting those few seconds to allow the car to cross your path is inconvenient. Same with Merge. You slow down to allow cars coming onto the highway to do so quickly and efficiently. You do not speed up when you see a Merge sign. If caught, the policeman will give you a failure to merge ticket. (My nephew has received several. He seems to believe he has the right of way and no one is going to tell him different)
Old 10-18-2023, 10:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

The right lane driver must get off turn 1 or 2 and the driver in the left lane CANNOT get off on the first turn can get off turn 2, 3 or 4. Everyone must stay in their own lane when leaving.
Old 10-18-2023, 11:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
The right lane driver must get off turn 1 or 2 and the driver in the left lane CANNOT get off on the first turn can get off turn 2, 3 or 4. Everyone must stay in their own lane when leaving.
What you are saying is correct. However, a vehicle trying to enter must wait until the roundabout is clear. IMO, if two vehicles slam on their brakes, it happened because the vehicle entering did not wait until the vehicle in the inner circle made their exit. Exits must be allowed before entering.
Old 10-19-2023, 04:29 AM
Veteran member

It’s so easy to navigate a roundabout but there are so many bad drivers here in TV, I’m not surprised by all the accidents. Quite a few people’s replies here will show you they don’t know how to navigate a roundabout, and there is the same sign before each roundabout that shows exactly what each lane can do.
I wish we would have more cops at these roundabouts ticketing or even taking their drivers license away from people that can’t navigate one. I’ve called multiple companies telling them that their driver almost hit me in a roundabout by not following the law.
Me, I don’t care if you have your turn signal on or off, follow the rules. I’ve witnessed multiple people try to use their turn signal in the roundabout so they think they don’t have to follow the rules if their turn signals are on.
Simple rules:
Right lane driver in a roundabout has to exit the roundabout at either the 1st or 2nd exit. Period!
Left lane driver in a roundabout cannot take the 1st exit, can exit the 2nd, 3rd exits or go all the way around.
Also, the person going around the roundabout has the right of way of any cars coming into the roundabout so the car in the roundabout’s left lane can take the 2nd or 3rd exit. All cars entering the roundabout must yield to the car in the roundabout no matter which lane the car is using in the roundabout.
Old 10-19-2023, 04:33 AM
Veteran member

I know this is a negative point of view, but whenever you find yourself next to a car in a roundabout you must assume they are a jerk.
I'm not saying they are, just remember the old Boy Scout moto; "Be prepared".
Old 10-19-2023, 04:49 AM

If I'm in the left lane and want to turn right I always have my right turn signal on most do not pay attention to your signal
Old 10-19-2023, 04:56 AM
Veteran member

I always make I am not beside someone in a roundabout, and try to watch my outside mirrors.
Old 10-19-2023, 05:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikesheba13 View Post
If I'm in the left lane and want to turn right I always have my right turn signal on most do not pay attention to your signal
I think part of the misunderstanding of many stems from the term "turn right" from the "left" lane. You are not turning at all, you are not crossing a lane, you are exiting from your own (inner) lane, as you should. Perhaps always using the terms "inner" and "outer" lanes will help educate those who don't know how to navigate a RB.
Old 10-19-2023, 05:09 AM

I don't mind the constant repeats of this particular thread, as people always seem to be at different points on their learning curve. Important to get in habit of looking at the sign when entering roundabouts, as there are occasionally exceptions to the 'rules' stated above. Example: Exiting (east) onto Paige Place from the El Camino Real/Morse Blvd/Paige Place traffic circle near Spanish Springs, there is only a single exit lane, which is for cars in the right lane. Vehicles traveling in the left lane may only exit onto Morse or El Camino (west). I have nearly been hit on several occasions while properly exiting onto Paige from the right lane by cars trying to exit from the left lane who expect me to yield. This happens particularly during snowbird season. I always stay alert for people making that mistake, and take a deep breath & count to 10 when they honk at me as if it were my error.
Old 10-19-2023, 05:13 AM
Veteran member

bsloan....it's a CIRCLE. people need to realize that if they miss their exit, JUST GO AROUND again!!
Old 10-19-2023, 05:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiagogirl View Post
I don't mind the constant repeats of this particular thread, as people always seem to be at different points on their learning curve. Important to get in habit of looking at the sign when entering roundabouts, as there are occasionally exceptions to the 'rules' stated above. Example: Exiting (east) onto Paige Place from the El Camino Real/Morse Blvd/Paige Place traffic circle near Spanish Springs, there is only a single exit lane, which is for cars in the right lane. Vehicles traveling in the left lane may only exit onto Morse or El Camino (west). I have nearly been hit on several occasions while properly exiting onto Paige from the right lane by cars trying to exit from the left lane who expect me to yield. This happens particularly during snowbird season. I always stay alert for people making that mistake, and take a deep breath & count to 10 when they honk at me as if it were my error.
Hence the self-preservation rule of never ride side by side in a RB. There are several RBs that have a one lane exit----Morse at Pinellas/Moyer eastbound comes to mind immediately. If you are aware of the issue, like you are at Paige, you stay in the outer lane. But for newbies.........
Closed Thread

Tags
lane, round, hit, driver, exit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.