Round About Question- Yikes!!!

Closed Thread
Old 10-30-2023, 10:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post
A driver in the inner lane can also drive the inner circle and then take the right exit he/she missed when entering the RAB. The first exit is not forbidden by the driver in the left lane. He/she has to do it correctly.
INCREDIBLE! When there are four exits, the first exit IS forbidden for the driver in the inner lane! If you are aware of a two-lane RAB in Florida where that is not the case, please post the location.

The FIFTH exit is not forbidden. The driver who mistakenly entered on the inside lane can go completely around the circle to exit correctly. By the time he does, he will have passed four exits making the exit he is taking the fifth, not the first. (and no, that is not just semantics)

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 10-30-2023, 10:51 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
INCREDIBLE! When there are four exits, the first exit IS forbidden for the driver in the inner lane! If you are aware of a two-lane RAB in Florida where that is not the case, please post the location.

The FIFTH exit is not forbidden. The driver who mistakenly entered on the inside lane can go completely around the circle to exit correctly. By the time he does, he will have passed four exits making the exit he is taking the fifth, not the first. (and no, that is not just semantics)
Not semantics. You are merely rewording what I said to your liking. I said, the driver in the left lane must go around the inner circle then take the first exit he or she MISSED. Where did I say a driver could take the first exit immediately upon entering the RAB? Funny! You in an earlier post did not mention the driver could take your "so called fifth exit." Did I correct your wording to suit my needs?
Old 10-30-2023, 11:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Not semantics. You are merely rewording what I said to your liking. I said, the driver in the left lane must go around the inner circle then take the first exit he or she MISSED. Where did I say a driver could take the first exit immediately upon entering the RAB? Funny! You in an earlier post did not mention the driver could take your "so called fifth exit." Did I correct your wording to suit my needs?
Somewhere very close to here:

Quote:
A driver in the inner lane can also drive the inner circle and then take the right exit he/she missed when entering the RAB. The first exit is not forbidden by the driver in the left lane. He/she has to do it correctly.
There is no correct way for the driver on the inside lane to take the first exit he comes to in a four-exit RAB. He can drive around the circle then take the road he missed due to entering in the wrong lane (as you wrote) but he cannot take the first exit. To insist otherwise is to perpetuate the misunderstandings and bad practices that could result in someone being hurt.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 10-30-2023, 11:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Somewhere very close to here:

There is no correct way for the driver on the inside lane to take the first exit he comes to in a four-exit RAB. He can drive around the circle then take the road he missed due to entering in the wrong lane (as you wrote) but he cannot take the first exit. To insist otherwise is to perpetuate the misunderstandings and bad practices that could result in someone being hurt.
Again, you are just rewording what I said. I would not have had to make that post if you remembered to include the "fifth" exit as an option while correcting someone earlier. No one is perfect. Get over your slight and move on.

I will continue to believe there is nothing wrong with saying:take the circle to return to the first exit. It is not a NEW exit. It is an exit the driver missed.

Can you explain what o'clock is exit 5? In new exit terms like your proclaimed fifth exit. I can explain mine: If you miss the 3 o'clock exit while in the left lane, take the circle to return, then exit at 3 o'clock. If you do not have another name for the 3 o'clock exit, your logic is probably wrong.

Last edited by margaretmattson; 11-01-2023 at 12:03 AM.
Old 10-31-2023, 04:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,170 Times in 1,931 Posts

This thread has been a joy ride. LOL.
Old 10-31-2023, 05:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,382 Times in 2,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
This thread has been a joy ride. LOL.
"Never, in the field of human driving, has such a simple procedure, been made so very complicated!"

sir_winston_churchill_-_19086236948-jpg
Old 10-31-2023, 06:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
"Never, in the field of human driving, has such a simple procedure, been made so very complicated!"

Attachment 100914
Over 200 times………
Old 10-31-2023, 06:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Over 200 times………
Add this (#278) to all the other RB threads over the years and I'll bet there are over 5,000 posts on the subject, 75% of which are wrong.
Old 10-31-2023, 06:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Add this (#278) to all the other RB threads over the years and I'll bet there are over 5,000 posts on the subject, 75% of which are wrong.
I guess this thread has finally come to an end. Anyone want to talk about dog poop?
Old 10-31-2023, 06:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

Considering the number of posts expressing erroneous information, it's actually surprising there aren't more accidents than there are.
We must have a pretty high number of defensive drivers here in TV.
Old 10-31-2023, 07:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
Considering the number of posts expressing erroneous information, it's actually surprising there aren't more accidents than there are.
I think when driving, people know and understand the rules. I have not had any near collisions. It is trying to write the rules in a post that becomes confusing.
Old 10-31-2023, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Survivorship bias? :-)
Old 10-31-2023, 05:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
I think when driving, people know and understand the rules. I have not had any near collisions. It is trying to write the rules in a post that becomes confusing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
I always thought the that the rule of thumb is that when you're approaching a roundabout and you plan to exit from the 1st or 3rd (right or left exits) of the roundabout, you should always be in the outside lane well before entering the roundabout.
I rest my case.
Old 10-31-2023, 09:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
I rest my case.
May mrchip72 rest in peace.

Tags
lane, round, hit, driver, exit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.