Round About Question- Yikes!!!

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2023, 05:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
I always thought the that the rule of thumb is that when you're approaching a roundabout and you plan to exit from the 1st or 3rd (right or left exits) of the roundabout, you should always be in the outside lane well before entering the roundabout.
If by "3rd" exit, you mean the one at 9 O'Clock, (assuming there are exits at 3, and 12) you should enter the roundabout from the left lane of a two lane entrance, and stay in the left lane until you exit.
As described previously, if you enter from the right lane, you MUST take the first (3 O'Clock) or second (12 O'Clock) exit. You may not stay in that outside lane past the 12 O'Clock exit, as the person in the left lane may properly take that 12 O'Clock exit from the inside lane. If you are in the outside lane and proceed to the next exit, you may collide with the inside car, which is properly taking the 12 O'Clock exit.

Here is a link explaining it in pictures. Open the link in the first post of the thread. The pictures explain exactly how your "rule of thumb" is incorrect. (if I am understanding you correctly)How to Navigate Roundabouts

Last edited by Laker14; 10-18-2023 at 05:26 AM. Reason: additional useful information added
Old 10-18-2023, 05:48 AM

If I’m in the left lane & want to exit when the right lane is at all occupied, I just continue around again in the left lane & wait for the opportunity to move to the right lane to exit.
Old 10-18-2023, 06:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slainte View Post
If I’m in the left lane & want to exit when the right lane is at all occupied, I just continue around again in the left lane & wait for the opportunity to move to the right lane to exit.
Huh????? If you are in the inside lane, you do not have to move into the right lane to exit unless you are improperly trying to exit at the first exit. Just stay in your lane and exit at the 2nd or third exit, as you should. If someone is to you right at that time, they improperly entered the RB when you were coming around on the inside lane, or they entered with you and are trying to go to the third exit in the outside lane, and they are wrong. Of course, much better to go around once that get in an accident.
Old 10-18-2023, 06:11 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,324 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
The brochure is very clear. Does anyone disagree with this?
Old 10-18-2023, 06:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

And away we go……..
Prediction 65 posts!
Old 10-18-2023, 06:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,382 Times in 2,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
And away we go……..
Prediction 65 posts!
I'll raise, and go all in.
Old 10-18-2023, 06:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

Quote:
And away we go……..
Prediction 65 posts!
Yes, it's true. This ground has been covered many times, but every time it comes up it becomes clear that too many people misunderstand the rules, so it's worth the time and trouble to try to educate folks in this regard.

The fender you save may be your own.
Old 10-18-2023, 06:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
Yes, it's true. This ground has been covered many times, but every time it comes up it becomes clear that too many people misunderstand the rules, so it's worth the time and trouble to try to educate folks in this regard.

The fender you save may be your own.
The ones who don’t know don’t read TOTV.
Old 10-18-2023, 07:02 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,324 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
The ones who don’t know don’t read TOTV.
A absolutely false. From reading the posts, many who read TOTV also don’t know how to drive in a roundabout!
Old 10-18-2023, 07:23 AM

Old 10-18-2023, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikreb View Post
It's just like a 4 way intersection. The right lane can turn right or go straight. The left lane can go straight or turn left.
That makes it too simple to understand.
Old 10-18-2023, 08:29 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,195 Times in 761 Posts

I never enter a roundabout next to another driver... I always expect them to cut me off, especially with out of state drivers who may not know how a roundabout works here.
Old 10-18-2023, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
The brochure is very clear. Does anyone disagree with this?
Take each picture, make copies and overlay with rotating each copy by a quarter rotation. Now you have multiple cars entering and exiting in multiple lanes, with multiple combinations of the "right way" to travel.

Look at traffic entering and exiting from all 4 feeder roads. Notice now those specified travel lines now cross between copies when you look at the whole picture of all traffic from all directions. There are 24 potential collisions by following the directions in those diagrams.
So yes, I disagree.

I propose something very simple.
The right (outside) lane of the round about must always exit at every side road. Car cannot continue going in circles using the right lane.
Cars in the left lane (next to center of round about) have absolute right of way, and never yield to cars entering.

Please use turn signals when exiting.
Old 10-18-2023, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maker View Post
Take each picture, make copies and overlay with rotating each copy by a quarter rotation. Now you have multiple cars entering and exiting in multiple lanes, with multiple combinations of the "right way" to travel.

Look at traffic entering and exiting from all 4 feeder roads. Notice now those specified travel lines now cross between copies when you look at the whole picture of all traffic from all directions. There are 24 potential collisions by following the directions in those diagrams.
So yes, I disagree.

I propose something very simple.
The right (outside) lane of the round about must always exit at every side road. Car cannot continue going in circles using the right lane.
Cars in the left lane (next to center of round about) have absolute right of way, and never yield to cars entering.

Please use turn signals when exiting.
Five out of the six pictures have a Yield sign showing and the one that doesn't have the sign has text stating, "YIELD to all traffic in the roundabout," and, "DO NOT ENTER next to a vehicle in the roundabout." NONE of the 24 potential collisions exist if the driver entering the roundabout Yields to traffic in the roundabout.

The brochure is very clear. If portions of it are ignored, the problem is not with the brochure, the problem is with the person reading the brochure.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 10-18-2023, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,940 Times in 2,460 Posts

U
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
We were in a double- 2 lane round about, in the right lane. As I was about to pass a right hand turn and continue on in the round about, a driver next to me in the left lane made a sudden turn in front of me to exit the round about. I had to slam on the brake to avoid getting hit.

This started me thinking- If you are in the left lane of the round about you always run the risk that someone in the right lane will be in your way when it's time for your exit. Just because you have been passing right turns without taking them- someone just entering on the right could be in your way when you take the 3rd exit.

What am I missing? is there a way for someone in the right lane to avoid getting hit by a driver turning in from the left- or is it 100% trusting every driver in the left to not hit you? Seems like a crap shoot.

Thanks
Only crap shoot if you enter roundabout without yielding to traffic in both lanes of roundabout.

You didn’t yield to traffic in roundabout. I see this a lot, vehicles in right lane think they can enter roundabout when they’re no traffic in right lane of roundabout. You have or yield to both lanes in roundabout. It means approaching you entry coming around the corner. Another problem people don’t use there blinker light when existing roundabout.
Closed Thread

Tags
lane, round, hit, driver, exit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.