Round About Question- Yikes!!!

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2023, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maker View Post
Take each picture, make copies and overlay with rotating each copy by a quarter rotation. Now you have multiple cars entering and exiting in multiple lanes, with multiple combinations of the "right way" to travel.

Look at traffic entering and exiting from all 4 feeder roads. Notice now those specified travel lines now cross between copies when you look at the whole picture of all traffic from all directions. There are 24 potential collisions by following the directions in those diagrams.
So yes, I disagree.

I propose something very simple.
The right (outside) lane of the round about must always exit at every side road. Car cannot continue going in circles using the right lane.
Cars in the left lane (next to center of round about) have absolute right of way, and never yield to cars entering.

Please use turn signals when exiting.
You may disagree, but you are absolutely wrong. The RBs work perfectly when drivers follow the rules. There is no crossing in front of or cutting off as long as no one:
a) follows the rule of which exit they can take from which lane and
b) More importantly, no one enters the RB with traffic coming IN EITHER LANE
Old 10-18-2023, 09:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,180 Times in 1,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
Did you enter at the same time and from the same entrance? Or did you enter at the same time but he entered to your left?

If you both entered at 6, you have to exit at 3 or 12 and he has to exit at 12 or 9.

If the accident takes place at 3, it is his fault. If it takes place at 12 or 9, it is your fault.

If he entered at 9 and you entered at 6, he would have to be going fast or you would have to be going slow if you both reached 3 at the same time. Always be aware of other cars in the roundabout.
To the OP........NEVER drive next to anyone in the RAB. You never know what they are going to do. I vary my speed to never be next to anyone. I also NEVER enter a RAB at the same time as another vehicle. So far...........so good after several years of driving in these RABs.
Old 10-18-2023, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,180 Times in 1,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
I always thought the that the rule of thumb is that when you're approaching a roundabout and you plan to exit from the 1st or 3rd (right or left exits) of the roundabout, you should always be in the outside lane well before entering the roundabout.
That is incorrect. When you plan to exit at the 3rd exit (AKA a Left turn), you must be in the inside lane. You also must enter in the inside lane if you plan to make a U Turn (AKA the 4th exit).

It is really not confusing at all. What is confusing is not knowing what other drivers are going to do. That is why I NEVER drive next to another vehicle in the RAB.
Old 10-18-2023, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
A absolutely false. From reading the posts, many who read TOTV also don’t know how to drive in a roundabout!
Seems to be the same posters..
Old 10-18-2023, 11:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Slow learning curve????
Old 10-18-2023, 11:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
You keep track of these things?
Old 10-18-2023, 11:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
You keep track of these things?
Naw, no need. One can almost predict who will post on any thread mentioning round-a-bouts.
Old 10-18-2023, 12:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
No one should have to yield in the roundabout.
That is the whole idea of them. Continuous flow.
If you have to yield, there are basically only two situations that are to blame.
1. You or the other vehicle, even both, are in the wrong lane.
2. Driver enters roundabout before both lanes to left are clear.
Speeding, changing lanes in roundabout could be added, but the two main reasons are those.
It is a very simple procedure if basic rule is followed.
The idea is not continuous flow. The idea is no traffic light to sit at for several minutes. Instead of sitting at a red light, allowing other cars to cross your path, you YIELD. Whoever is in the round about before you has the right of way.

Sometimes, you can move through seamlessly. But, when a vehicle is in the left lane there is a possibility they will need to cross over your path to exit. You YIELD to them and allow them to do so.
Old 10-18-2023, 12:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
The idea is not continuous flow. The idea is no traffic light to sit at for several minutes. Instead of sitting at a red light, allowing other cars to cross your path, you YIELD. Whoever is in the round about before you has the right of way.

Sometimes, you can move through seamlessly. But, when a vehicle is in the left lane there is a possibility they will need to cross over your path to exit. You YIELD to them and allow them to do so.
Again, THERE SHOULDN'T BE IF PEOPLE FOLLOW THE RULES. For that to happen, EITHER
a) a driver who doesn't understand entered the RB when a vehicle was coming around in the inner lane, or
b) a driver, even more ignorant, entered with you and was proceeding to the 3rd exit in the outer lane while you were going to the 2nd exit

And btw, is there a substantial difference (not semantic) between NOT sitting at a light for 2 minutes and "continuous flow"???
Old 10-18-2023, 12:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,383 Times in 2,521 Posts

Quote:

What I wrote was correct.
Old 10-18-2023, 12:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,396 Times in 2,069 Posts

Quote:

Some/I would say that "no traffic light" and no red light is the same as "continuous flow."

If you yield to traffic already in the circle then the ONLY way the left lane will need to cross your path is if one of you attempts to exit inappropriately: either they turned at the first exit or you continued past the second. Of course you avoid an accident but you also recognize that the yield was only necessary because someone did the wrong thing.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 10-18-2023, 12:41 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Again, THERE SHOULDN'T BE IF PEOPLE FOLLOW THE RULES. For that to happen, EITHER
a) a driver who doesn't understand entered the RB when a vehicle was coming around in the inner lane, or
b) a driver, even more ignorant, entered with you and was proceeding to the 3rd exit in the outer lane while you were going to the 2nd exit

And btw, is there a substantial difference (not semantic) between NOT sitting at a light for 2 minutes and "continuous flow"???
Some drivers believe they can keep moving without worrying about who is in the roundabout. That is not correct.

If a vehicle is in the inner (left lane) before you enter, that vehicle has the right of way. You wait until it crosses your path before proceeding. You are required to yield.

If done correctly, it only takes a few seconds which would be continuous flow. If done incorrectly, the vehicle in the left lane has to drive around the circle AGAIN to exit. Or, two vehicles slam on their brakes because an entering driver did not YIELD. Which is not continuous flow.

Last edited by Randall55; 10-20-2023 at 05:21 AM.
Old 10-18-2023, 01:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Some drivers believe they can keep moving without worrying about who is in the roundabout. That is not always the case.

If a vehicle is in the inner (left lane) before you enter, that vehicle has the right of way. You wait until it crosses your path before proceeding. Which only takes a few seconds.

There are some people who believe you do not yield AT ALL. That is incorrect. A vehicle in a left lane needs to cross over the right lane to exit. If it needs to cross your path, You allow that vehicle to do so.

If done correctly, it only takes a few seconds which would be continuous flow. If done incorrectly, the vehicle in the left lane has to drive around the circle AGAIN to exit. Or, two vehicles slam on their brakes because an entering driver did not YIELD. Which is not continuous flow.
Thanks for the clarification, you now make sense. I was hoping that everyone knows NOT TO ENTER until the RB is clear, so the entering vehicle has to yield and therefore the flow is not continuous. I love semantics. But is is closer to continuous than a 2 minute traffic light
Old 10-18-2023, 01:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Thanks for the clarification, you now make sense. I was hoping that everyone knows NOT TO ENTER until the RB is clear, so the entering vehicle has to yield and therefore the flow is not continuous. I love semantics. But is is closer to continuous than a 2 minute traffic light
This is why I IMAGINE I am at a red light when I approach a roundabout. You wait until the roundabout is clear, then you proceed.

I have seen far too many drivers approaching round abouts thinking they always have a green light to go. These people scare me and I immediately slow down. We all have been driving for decades. How do some not understand that at an intersection you must stop and yield?

Most traffic intersections have stop signs or red lights forcing a driver to stop. The rules do not change for roundabouts. Before you enter, you YIELD. In a roundabout, similar to a stop sign, it only takes a few seconds.
Old 10-18-2023, 04:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
As I was about to pass a right hand turn and continue on in the round about, a driver next to me in the left lane made a sudden turn in front of me to exit the round about. I had to slam on the brake to avoid getting hit.
If he was already in the roundabout when you entered the roundabout, then you were at fault. When there is a car already in the roundabout near you, you must not enter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
Seems like a crap shoot.
Yeah, that is right.

I suggest you learn the rules for driving thru roundabouts and always have your hand on the horn. Honk if you think someone is breaking the rules and may endanger you.
Closed Thread

Tags
lane, round, hit, driver, exit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.