Round abouts

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2023, 05:36 PM
Platinum member

Based on all these above comments, it’s pretty clear that it’s every man, and woman, for themselves.
Old 07-13-2023, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pettys1 View Post
If you know your turning on a side road then get into the outside lane your don't turn into a lane to turn. I mean common sense tells you to get into the outside lane. If you where on the road an cut in front of someone . Cause if you hit me while driving in the inside lane while trying to turn you'll be sued I promise you..
It's difficult to understand what you're trying to say. If you're saying that it's not allowed to leave the roundabout from the inside lane, you're wrong.
Old 07-13-2023, 07:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
I've been almost hit twice this week. I'm in the outside lane cause I'm turn on side road you don't turn Infront of another vehicle you go back around til you can get in the right lane
It appears that you do not know how to drive thru a roundabout correctly.

Eventually you will hit another car and you will have to go to court. When you are shocked to find that you were at fault, maybe you will then learn how to drive thru a roundabout correctly.

When you enter a roundabout, you MUST yield to another car already in the roundabout.
Old 07-13-2023, 07:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
I've been almost hit twice this week. I'm in the outside lane cause I'm turn on side road you don't turn Infront of another vehicle you go back around til you can get in the right lane
Ok, I finally figured out what you were trying to say and it is 110% wrong. Please learn how to navigate a RB or post a schedule of when and where you’ll be driving in one so the rest of us who know what we’re doing can avoid you.
PS: based on the understanding of driving RBs you’ve posted, you won’t be suing anyone
Old 07-13-2023, 07:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralway View Post
Based on all these above comments, it’s pretty clear that it’s every man, and woman, for themselves.
Yeah, that is about right.

I always drive slowly in a roundabout and have my hand on the horn. If I see another person driving incorrectly, I give them a long honk and keep honking until they are out of my way.
Old 07-13-2023, 07:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
Yeah, that is about right.

I always drive slowly in a roundabout and have my hand on the horn. If I see another person driving incorrectly, I give them a long honk and keep honking until they are out of my way.
And they just immediately obey your horn and get out of your way??? Hmmm—-I thought so
Old 07-13-2023, 07:50 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,195 Times in 761 Posts

How about everybody just slow down and drive defensively?
Old 07-13-2023, 08:44 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
How about everybody just slow down and drive defensively?
Roundabouts are just like an intersection with a traffic light. If you are turning right, you must be in the far right lane before entering the circle. Just like at a traffic light. Signal, then make the right turn keeping your lane.

If you are going straight thru, you can be in either lane, you do not signal, and exit on the opposite side of the circle.

If you are turning left, you must be in the left lane before entering the circle. Just like at a traffic signal. You signal that you are turning left. When you proceed, You will be on the inside of the circle. Drive thru until you reach the exit, keep your lane and exit. No need to cross over lanes. The circle is designed to avoid this. The lanes lead you out without confusion everytime!

If you have to make a full circle, you must be in the left lane. Just like if you were making a u turn at a traffic light. Signal, then make your u turn inside the circle. Signal right to exit. Again, the lane will lead you out without having to cross lanes.

How and why is anyone crossing lanes? Just pretend there is a traffic light at each circle. Am I wrong? Starting to second guess myself.
Old 07-13-2023, 08:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

Such Fun! And standard intersections aren't much safer.
Be careful.
Old 07-13-2023, 08:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post
Roundabouts are just like an intersection with a traffic light. If you are turning right, you must be in the far right lane before entering the circle. Just like at a traffic light. Signal, then make the right turn keeping your lane.

If you are going straight thru, you can be in either lane, you do not signal, and exit on the opposite side of the circle.

If you are turning left, you must be in the left lane before entering the circle. Just like at a traffic signal. You signal that you are turning left. When you proceed, You will be on the inside of the circle. Drive thru until you reach the exit, keep your lane and exit. No need to cross over lanes. The circle is designed to avoid this. The lanes lead you out without confusion everytime!

If you have to make a full circle, you must be in the left lane. Just like if you were making a u turn at a traffic light. Signal, then make your u turn inside the circle. Signal right to exit. Again, the lane will lead you out without having to cross lanes.

How and why is anyone crossing lanes? Just pretend there is a traffic light at each circle. Am I wrong? Starting to second guess myself.
Just this. If you enter from the left lane, you must continue straight on or take the 3rd exit. Both situations require you to cross the outside lane at some point to exit.
Old 07-13-2023, 09:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
And they just immediately obey your horn and get out of your way???
Yes, they usually do.

In case they don't, I can easily avoid them because I drive so slowly, and I keep honking at them.
Old 07-13-2023, 09:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Just this. If you enter from the left lane, you must continue straight on or take the 3rd exit. Both situations require you to cross the outside lane at some point to exit.
Gotcha! But, I was assuming the driver wishing to enter knows to yield.
Old 07-13-2023, 09:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post
I was assuming the driver wishing to enter knows to yield.
From my experience, that is true usually, but not always.

Occasionally I see a driver trying to enter the roundabout without yielding but, since I always have my hand on the horn, I honk at them and continue honking until I am well out of the way.
Old 07-13-2023, 10:00 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
May depend upon signage. Some folks say that it is against the law to change lanes once you are in the roundabout. That logically cannot be correct. If you are on a two lane road entering a two-lane roundabout that has four inlet and outlets and you plan to go to the 3rd exit, you are normally expected to enter on the inside lane which allow exit on the 2nd and/or subsequent exits. So, you enter the inside lane and pass the 2nd exit , you now need to switch to the outside lane to exit at the 3rd exit from your start. However, you may be in competition with someone who has entered after your start. That is where your driving skills are put to test. That is not the time to assume you are OK to turn because you are ahead of the competition. This is the time to actually see acknowledgement OK to turn or make another revolution. You also have to understand that others may have a different understanding than you. Also, you have to pay attention to road markings

I spent many years in the Boston area with its much more complex road system and rotaries. The common theory there was to make sure you got the other driver's attention and agreement before a move.

It is irresponsible for posters to make statements of law that are not known to be true.

Last edited by mtdjed; 07-13-2023 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-13-2023, 10:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
May depend upon signage. Some folks say that it is against the law to change lanes once you are in the roundabout. That logically cannot be correct. If you are on a two lane road entering a two-lane roundabout that has four inlet and outlets and you plan to go to the 3rd exit, you are normally expected to enter on the inside lane which allow exit on the 2nd and/or subsequent exits. So, you enter the inside lane and pass the 2nd exit , you now need to switch to the outside lane to exit at the 3rd exit from your start. However, you may be in competition with someone who has entered after your start. That is where your driving skills are put to test. That is not the time to assume you are OK to turn because you are ahead of the competition. This is the time to actually see acknowledgement OK to turn or make another revolution. You also have to understand that others may have a different understanding than you. Also, you have to pay attention to road markings

I spent many years in the Boston area with its much more complex road system and rotaries. The common theory there was to make sure you got the other driver's attention and agreement before a move.

It is irresponsible for posters to make statements of law that are not known to be true.
Confused again! If a driver is in a roundabout with his signal on, why is there another driver entering the circle? They must yield to the driver who has signaled before entering the circle.

If someone can't wait a second or two while the signaled vehicle crosses over to exit, they have problems I will never be able to solve!

It probably takes a signaled driver less than 20 seconds to enter and exit a roundabout if doing it correctly. How are you people driving in circles, honking horns, and avoiding getting hit? Get in the correct lane before entering the circle, wait until it is your turn to enter, then proceed with your signal on.
Closed Thread

Tags
driving, hit, road

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.