Round abouts

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2023, 10:48 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
You aren't allowed to change lanes WHILE you are in a roundabout. That's against the rules. If you're going 3/4 of the way around the circle, you are required to enter on the inside lane. And you are required to exit from the same lane. The logicperson coming in from the next entry point ahead of you should be watching for you, because YOU have the right of way. If you cut them off to turn, then it's their fault, because they were supposed to wait until you had passed the exit (or exited) before they entered.
Are you sure of what you said? Against whose rules? Exiting at 3rd you have right away in the inner lane, you must change lanes, which is against the rules, but if an accident its their fault..... You just said that was against the rules.
Having a hard time following your logic.

What am I missing?
Old 07-13-2023, 11:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Are you sure of what you said? Against whose rules? Exiting at 3rd you have right away in the inner lane, you must change lanes, which is against the rules, but if an accident its their fault..... You just said that was against the rules.
Having a hard time following your logic.

What am I missing?
You are missing the fact that a signaled driver inside the circle has the right of way. A driver wishing to enter the circle must wait until the signaled driver in the circle has exited.

Wait until it is your turn. Just like you would wait if there was a traffic signal and the light was red. You can not proceed until the circle is clear. Then you have the green light to go!
Old 07-14-2023, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Everyone is going to turn on a side road sooner or later in a roundabout. Thus using your logic no one is ever in the inside lane. Out of state ? Where are you from ?
Going straight through roundabout you can enter on inside lane and EXIT on inside lane.
Old 07-14-2023, 04:25 AM

Just another example of people engaging their mouth, and not knowing what they’re talking about when it comes to the original writer of how to drive in a roundabout
Old 07-14-2023, 04:36 AM

It is amazing that the human race has not gone extinct. Give us time and we will.
Old 07-14-2023, 04:53 AM
Veteran member

If you are in the roundabout YOU nave the right of way. Conversely if THEY are in the roundabout they have the right of way. If BOTH of you are in the roundabout……better look at, and follow the ARROWS on the signs in advance of the roundabout
Old 07-14-2023, 04:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post
Roundabouts are just like an intersection with a traffic light. If you are turning right, you must be in the far right lane before entering the circle. Just like at a traffic light. Signal, then make the right turn keeping your lane.

If you are going straight thru, you can be in either lane, you do not signal, and exit on the opposite side of the circle.

If you are turning left, you must be in the left lane before entering the circle. Just like at a traffic signal. You signal that you are turning left. When you proceed, You will be on the inside of the circle. Drive thru until you reach the exit, keep your lane and exit. No need to cross over lanes. The circle is designed to avoid this. The lanes lead you out without confusion everytime!

If you have to make a full circle, you must be in the left lane. Just like if you were making a u turn at a traffic light. Signal, then make your u turn inside the circle. Signal right to exit. Again, the lane will lead you out without having to cross lanes.

How and why is anyone crossing lanes? Just pretend there is a traffic light at each circle. Am I wrong? Starting to second guess myself.
Thank you. PERFECT!!!
Old 07-14-2023, 05:21 AM
Default Fl Driver Handbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pettys1 View Post
If you know your turning on a side road then get into the outside lane your don't turn into a lane to turn. I mean common sense tells you to get into the outside lane. If you where on the road an cut in front of someone . Cause if you hit me while driving in the inside lane while trying to turn you'll be sued I promise you..
We are Brits and what you suggest is in our equivalent to the Fl Drivers Handbook.

However, in order to get lower insurance we needed to get a Fl drivers licence. That required us to do the theory (50 questions) and road parts of the test.

Fl requires that you select the correct lane before entering the roundabout. Outside lane if going ahead and inside if turning left.
You are permitted to turn across traffic if exiting at the left turn. The other (outside lane) must give way.

Bonkers perhaps but that’s the rule.

That was one of the questions that came up on my test and I was fortunate to get it right.

Yes we got our licences.
Old 07-14-2023, 05:23 AM

The signs coming into the circle mean nothing other than a recommendation of what you should do. The lines on the road are law. Look closely at them the next time you drive in a RAB and remember the inside lane ALWAYS has the right of way.
Old 07-14-2023, 05:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,740 Times in 5,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest737 View Post
It is amazing that the human race has not gone extinct. Give us time and we will.
The human race is only about 200,000 years old. By comparison, dinosaurs existed for about 165 million years before becoming extinct.
Old 07-14-2023, 05:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogmonster View Post
The signs coming into the circle mean nothing other than a recommendation of what you should do. The lines on the road are law. Look closely at them the next time you drive in a RAB and remember the inside lane ALWAYS has the right of way.
Wrong

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 07-14-2023, 05:54 AM

Um yea wrong again. Maybe you should read the signs posted at every round a bout
Old 07-14-2023, 05:56 AM
Default Correct

This is correct. Simple rules.....Everyone should consider themselves entering the ROB at 6. Your options are:

Left Lane: go to 12
Continue around to 9
Right Lane: go to 3
go to 12 (you cannot go past 12 from right lane)
Old 07-14-2023, 06:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pettys1 View Post
If you know your turning on a side road then get into the outside lane your don't turn into a lane to turn. I mean common sense tells you to get into the outside lane. If you where on the road an cut in front of someone . Cause if you hit me while driving in the inside lane while trying to turn you'll be sued I promise you..
If you are turning left you are supposed to be in the inside lane. If you are in the outside lane you are turning left from the right hand lane and if an accident happens you will be at fault and might be the one being sued c
Old 07-14-2023, 06:11 AM

You are correct. If your going around a roundabout from the outside lane and im going straight from the inside lane Morgan & Morgan here we come.
Closed Thread

Tags
driving, hit, road

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.