Roundabout claims another

Closed Thread
Old 06-22-2017, 05:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagerNut View Post
Your explanation is totally wrong! You need to stop at the roundabout and actually look at the signage and learn how to drive a roundabout. If you're coming off of El Camino and going to head south on Buena Vista, you have to be in the left lane to be legal! If you're coming from the country club going to El Camino you can be in either the right or the left lane to be legal. If you're coming southbound on Buena Vista wanting to go to El Camino, you have to be in the left lane to be legal. But if you are going more than half around the roundabout you have to be in the left lane to be legal in any roundabout in the villages!
http://www.districtgov.org/community...t-02-08-12.pdf
Old 06-22-2017, 05:45 AM

Just do not let anyone get next to you. Problem solved!
Old 06-22-2017, 06:32 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagerNut View Post
Your explanation is totally wrong! You need to stop at the roundabout and actually look at the signage and learn how to drive a roundabout. If you're coming off of El Camino and going to head south on Buena Vista, you have to be in the left lane to be legal! If you're coming from the country club going to El Camino you can be in either the right or the left lane to be legal. If you're coming southbound on Buena Vista wanting to go to El Camino, you have to be in the left lane to be legal. But if you are going more than half around the roundabout you have to be in the left lane to be legal in any roundabout in the villages!
Yes, except for some such as Buena Vista to Hillsborough Trail where you can move from the left/inner lane to the right/outside lane while still in the roundabout and making the left hand turn.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Mine -do not like.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	69733  
Old 06-22-2017, 08:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Yes, except for some such as Buena Vista to Hillsborough Trail where you can move from the left/inner lane to the right/outside lane while still in the roundabout and making the left hand turn.
It may sound like splitting hairs, but what you are really doing is simply exiting the roundabout into the right/resident lane. The prohibition on changing lanes in the roundabout refers primarily to entering the roundabout in the right lane, for example, then transitioning to the left/inner lane while continuing to travel in the roundabout. Exiting is different. Of course you have to cross the outside lane to exit when going to the third exit properly in any roundabout.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
It may sound like splitting hairs, but what you are really doing is simply exiting the roundabout into the right/resident lane. The prohibition on changing lanes in the roundabout refers primarily to entering the roundabout in the right lane, for example, then transitioning to the left/inner lane while continuing to travel in the roundabout. Exiting is different. Of course you have to cross the outside lane to exit when going to the third exit properly in any roundabout.
TRUE!!!

The other day (and I was looking BUT someone was in the "blind spot") I almost got nailed when moving from left to exit three-quarters of the way around. THAT person laid on their horn...hopefully to warn me. I even had my signal (yeah that thing folks here don't use much) on!!! NOT sure where they came from because I thought I was being observant in my driving. I think they were one of those who fly like a bat out of H311 as once they got past me all one saw was "dust".
Old 06-22-2017, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
TRUE!!!

The other day (and I was looking BUT someone was in the "blind spot") I almost got nailed when moving from left to exit three-quarters of the way around. THAT person laid on their horn...hopefully to warn me. I even had my signal (yeah that thing folks here don't use much) on!!! NOT sure where they came from because I thought I was being observant in my driving. I think they were one of those who fly like a bat out of H311 as once they got past me all one saw was "dust".
Since you didn't see them, I can only guess that they either went 3/4 round in the right lane or entered when you were 1/4 of the way around, and in both cases navigated the RB much quicker than you in an attempt to pass (getting them to the gate 4 seconds quicker)
Old 06-22-2017, 09:51 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
It's ok to follow the red line while still in this roundabout thus changing lanes while still in the roundabout.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mine -do not like2.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	69745  

Last edited by twoplanekid; 06-22-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,944 Times in 2,463 Posts

The guy in the right lane going 3/4 around the roundabout should of got the ticket for NOT yeiding the right way. (Look at the signs posted before roundabouts)

This happen about 6 months ago at the exact same intermsection exact same incident. The driver in the right lane got ticket even though he got hit in the back side for the car behind him going straight through on BV. (I always thought the car ahead had the right of way, but I guess not in roundabout?)

Even if the driver came out of GV he should of yielded to ALL traffic in the roundabout before going around in the right lane to El C. R. This happens all the time especially people coming into the roundabout from el Camino Reno, they don't yield to traffic in roundabout coming off BV.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,318 Times in 872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
I don't think that's correct. I believe you can make that move when you have the broken line but until you reach the broken line you should stay in your lane. The arrow in the outside lane clearly indicates no left and the solid line should mean you don't cross it. Crossing before the broken line can create a collision. Personally, if there is traffic in the circle or entering the circle from the south I normally stay in the left lane and say hello to the gate operator....most time faster getting through then waiting in line of traffic.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-22-2017, 11:03 AM
Gold member
Default If you read these posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
If they're going south on BV and heading for El Camino, they should not be in the right lane.
It is a debate. It takes two cars to have an accident.
Truth-it is not an accident it is a STUPID.

We all know the round a bouts are dangerous. I for one will not allow someone to drive next to me on either side. It is not necessary. It is stupid as it blocks the other car from a place to avoid an accident. As to not allowing another car to sit next to me it is easy to avoid-speed up or slow down. Simple.

As to the round a bouts a right turn is legal from the left lane. LEGAL DOES NOT MAKE IT SMART. If, you missed your exit, it is far safer to drive around the round a bout.

Between walkers, talkers,dogs, bikes, golf carts, those us less security gates with an immediate golf cart crossing, people rushing to relax, this is an interesting place to drive.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:18 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I don't think that's correct. I believe you can make that move when you have the broken line but until you reach the broken line you should stay in your lane. The arrow in the outside lane clearly indicates no left and the solid line should mean you don't cross it. Crossing before the broken line can create a collision. Personally, if there is traffic in the circle or entering the circle from the south I normally stay in the left lane and say hello to the gate operator....most time faster getting through then waiting in line of traffic.
As there is no solid line to cross, you can change to the outer or right hand lane. Otherwise, how would you be in that clearly marked right lane. I don't like that design and prefer this other one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a better way- like.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	69746  
Old 06-22-2017, 04:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
It is a debate...
Nope. Making a 270 degree left turn from the right lane is wrong. Anybody trying to debate that is simply wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
...We all know the round a bouts are dangerous...
Wrong again.

We don't all know round a bouts are dangerous because they have been shown many times to be safer (and more efficient) than stop or signalized intersections.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Nope. Making a 270 degree left turn from the right lane is wrong. Anybody trying to debate that is simply wrong.

Wrong again.

We don't all know round a bouts are dangerous because they have been shown many times to be safer (and more efficient) than stop or signalized intersections.
LIKE Like like like like like

Old 06-22-2017, 06:02 PM

It's the ole saying, "Watch out for the other guy". Simple
Old 06-22-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
It would help cause unbearable delays, that's all. Unless you left the approach streets as most are...two lanes...then it would cause unbearable conflicts too.
Honestly, considering you are never supposed to enter a roundabout as a car is making its way along the inside lane, or drive directly next to a car in the roundabout, I don't think the delays would be that drastic.

Of course few people ever follow those rules.
Closed Thread

Tags
car, years, lane, roundabout, hit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.