roundabouts

Closed Thread
Old 07-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMLRHT1 View Post
The correct info is in the POA paper. Don't say making a right turn but say leaving the roundabout. If u leave the roundabout on the very first exit then u should be in the right lane. If u exit after that then u should be in the left lane. If u get into an accident and it is between vehicles in left lane and right lane then according to SCSO the vehicle in the right lane is always at fault.
This is probably the clearest explanation (at least for me) of what lane a driver should be in when they want to exit a roundabout. Thank you for posting this.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Gold member
Default Round-a-bouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billlaur View Post
Can I make a right turn from the inside lane of the roudabout? Doesnt seem 2 safe 2 me,Ive seen it done many times..Risky eh
The real problem here is the size of our roundabouts. The same design is used throughout the world but, the roundabouts are much larger , allowing cars to make safe lane changes. We lack this room, and have created something that is not exactly safe. It won't happen, but the safest procedure would be for all cars to enter,stay and leave from the outside lane. Before some of you get all riled up, I agree that roundabouts do work well when the roundabout circle is much larger. Here in the Villages, at times when entering a roundabout, it is impossible to move to the inside lane because of cars already being there.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
The real problem here is the size of our roundabouts. The same design is used throughout the world but, the roundabouts are much larger , allowing cars to make safe lane changes. We lack this room, and have created something that is not exactly safe. It won't happen, but the safest procedure would be for all cars to enter,stay and leave from the outside lane. Before some of you get all riled up, I agree that roundabouts do work well when the roundabout circle is much larger. Here in the Villages, at times when entering a roundabout, it is impossible to move to the inside lane because of cars already being there.
Oh no, no, no. One should never stay in the outside lane to go around to the third exit (270 degrees). It causes accidents and is inconsistent with the roundabout rules. Likewise, one should never change lanes inside the roundabout.

We are supposed to enter the roundabout in the lane from which we will need to exit. That is the outside lane for first or second exit and inside lane for second or third exit.

Also curb your dog and clean up his/her poo.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Sage

Yes! But know that "IF" you're in the right lane and someone makes a right turn and you hit them....you will be the one to get the ticket! The person on the inside lane should ALWAYS be aware and make sure noone is trying to pass on the right as they make the turn.

It does seem complicated....but it really is not once you realize how it works! The triangle sign seems NOT to be observed by alot of folks. You know---the "Yield" sign?? I've seen ALOT of folks just buzz on through these, just as there also are "some" who don't adhere to the "Stop" signs.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:37 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Oh no, no, no. One should never stay in the outside lane to go around to the third exit (270 degrees). It causes accidents and is inconsistent with the roundabout rules. Likewise, one should never change lanes inside the roundabout.

We are supposed to enter the roundabout in the lane from which we will need to exit. That is the outside lane for first or second exit and inside lane for second or third exit.

While proceeding throught the roundabout??? The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 07-04-2012, 03:32 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
While proceeding throught the roundabout??? The Villages Florida
No, that makes too big of a long drawn out mess. You're supposed to stop in the left lane (all the vehicles are in the right lane so it's safe), turn on warning signals and walk your pet in the circle until it's ready to return to the vehicle (be sure and take your empty popcorn bag with you) and continue your journey turning left at every occasion and intersection that appears!

Don't blame us. Gracie predicted it would happen!
In reality, they're different!
Old 07-04-2012, 03:38 PM
Veteran member

You should never ever back up in a roundabout like I saw some one doing last May in the Havana roundabout.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:40 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post

I just ran over some dog poop in a round-a-bout.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Glad this thread was started

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
The correct answer to the question is yes, but only if you are going straight through or 270 degrees around. The second and third exit from your entrance position. As stated above treat it exactly like a four lane intersection. If you wanted to make a right turn you would always enter the intersection in the right lane. If you wanted to make a left turn you would always enter in the left lane. If you wanted to go straight through either lane would work.

However even with the new signs that very clearly show the correct way to drive through a round about, I still see idiots go 3/4 the way around staying in the right outside lane. They will cause an accident and wonder why it happened. And also argue that what they did was OK.
I have had this happen to me several times. Because I was going to go 270 degrees so I was in the inside (left) lanes. As I slowed to turn right someone came from behind me in the outside lane and I almost creamed them, or they me. Because I pay attention I was able to avert an accident. Tell me, was I in the wrong? Do I drive the roundabouts incorrectly. In a regular intersection I would not be able to turn right from the inside lane but that is clearly stated as ok when going 270 degrees. You can look to your right and see no one and they come up from behind you.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 07-04-2012, 04:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
The real problem here is the size of our roundabouts. The same design is used throughout the world but, the roundabouts are much larger , allowing cars to make safe lane changes. .........
If you think the ones in TV are small, you should see some of the ones in central OH!! I've had to be real careful going through some of them with my truck - afraid I'll hop a curb......tight curve and not very much lane!

Bill
Old 07-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Platinum member

It's really a dumb move to turn right from the left lane anytime! Would you do it on a 4 lane highway such as 441 or 466? I was recently going straight in a roundabout when a SUV (out state license plate) realized they REALLY wanted to go to Lake Sumter Landing, and they almost hit me since I was in the right lane! I stopped and let them through rather than get smashed.

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 07-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Default thaks

Thanks 4 all the info about the roundabouts,its quite clear 2 me now,sorry 4 all the confusion,just drive around and b careful..
Now ,GRACIEGIRL, what about doggie poop......
Thanks
Old 07-04-2012, 05:09 PM

I do not understand why is it so hard for people to simply look at the lane dividing lines ( dashed and solid) and directional arrows (straight and turn) and drive accordingly.

If you are making the 1st right (90 degrees) enter the roundabout in the right (outside) lane and turn right.

If you are going to the 2nd right (straight or 180 degrees) or 3rd right (left or 270 degrees) enter the roundabout in the left (inside) lane and USING YOUR RIGHT TURN BLINKER turn at your needed right.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALYBOW View Post
I have had this happen to me several times. Because I was going to go 270 degrees so I was in the inside (left) lanes. As I slowed to turn right someone came from behind me in the outside lane and I almost creamed them, or they me. Because I pay attention I was able to avert an accident. Tell me, was I in the wrong? Do I drive the roundabouts incorrectly. In a regular intersection I would not be able to turn right from the inside lane but that is clearly stated as ok when going 270 degrees. You can look to your right and see no one and they come up from behind you.
You were ok doing what you did look at lane lines,Here most people do not know what they are doing when it comes to them.If you enter round a bout in right lane you can only take the first right or go straight.from inner lane you can not take first right.but can go straight take second or third right unless posted
Old 07-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Just read the damn signs!
------------------------------
On another note, I think this thread will have 68 posts before it is finished. Most of the posts so far have been a repeat of hundreds of previous posts on other threads.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.