roundabouts

Closed Thread
Old 07-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Sage

It helps if you don't use "turn right" when describing exiting the roundabout. While it is somewhat a move to the right, it is best thought of as "exiting" the roundabout. Think of "right turn" or "left turn" only with regards to which lane you should be in when entering the roundabout. As far as not being able to move to the correct lane because someone else is beside you, the best advice I can give is to do what you would do if it were a regular intersection. And that wouldn't be to make a left turn from the right lane or right turn from the left lane.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts
Default Oh, a dog poop thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
There will soon be a dog poop thread. Things must be back to normal.
I really think TV dogs should not be allowed to poop. Except mine, of course.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJohn View Post
..........You're supposed to stop in the left lane (all the vehicles are in the right lane so it's safe), turn on warning signals and walk your pet in the circle until it's ready to return to the vehicle (be sure and take your empty popcorn bag with you) and continue your journey turning left at every occasion and intersection that appears! .........
Sounds like a business opportunity for popcorn refill stations!

Bill
Old 07-04-2012, 08:33 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Joaniesmom
Smile Why do we need roundabouts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
The correct answer to the question is yes, but only if you are going straight through or 270 degrees around. The second and third exit from your entrance position. As stated above treat it exactly like a four lane intersection. If you wanted to make a right turn you would always enter the intersection in the right lane. If you wanted to make a left turn you would always enter in the left lane. If you wanted to go straight through either lane would work.

However even with the new signs that very clearly show the correct way to drive through a round about, I still see idiots go 3/4 the way around staying in the right outside lane. They will cause an accident and wonder why it happened. And also argue that what they did was OK.
I will proudly call myself an idiot (but don't usually think it's polite to call others idiots) but there are NO roundabouts where I live in Ohio and I think they are the most confusing thing ever invented. What purpose do they serve other than mixing up everyone except those few people who make it their business to master the art of the roundabout?

Give me the good old four-way intersection any day. How about some stop signs? Or some traffic lights? Easy for everyone to understand. They don't require an extensive set of rules. Stop. Go. Easy!

Thank you very much for your kind attention.

Just an idiot from Ohio.

Joaniesmom

Joanie's mom
Pennsylvania, Ohio, The Villages
So happy to be here!
Old 07-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Sage

FWIW, here's some info from the IIHS re: roundabouts - - - click on #6 for their perspectives on traffic flow.....

Q&A: Roundabouts

Bill
Old 07-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Gold member

Bill, That's an excellent link to better understand them. Be sure to click on 'all answers' to see all at once.
We have a traffic circle on the university campus where I used to work and I don't ever recall an accident even with all the young, careless drivers. I think people pay closer attention when driving on them and that is part of the successful reduction of accidents. It seems maybe the roundabouts may be too small.
In reality, they're different!
Old 07-05-2012, 05:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaniesmom View Post
I will proudly call myself an idiot (but don't usually think it's polite to call others idiots) but there are NO roundabouts where I live in Ohio and I think they are the most confusing thing ever invented. What purpose do they serve other than mixing up everyone except those few people who make it their business to master the art of the roundabout?

Give me the good old four-way intersection any day. How about some stop signs? Or some traffic lights? Easy for everyone to understand. They don't require an extensive set of rules. Stop. Go. Easy!

Thank you very much for your kind attention.

Just an idiot from Ohio.

Joaniesmom
Because SOME people from OTHER parts of the country view stop signs and traffic lights and yield signs as only "suggestions".
Old 07-05-2012, 06:17 AM
Email Reported As Spam

first the mportant question I note a green online next to posters names and then a red offline next to posters names...what do they mean?

As to roundabout exiting at the first (90 degree) exit and utilizing the outside lane makes sense because drivers in the inside lane exiting (180-270) have a clear shot exiting. However because some folks don't utilze the roundabouts correctly or enter them in an attempt to beat those vehicles already in the roundabout or those vehicles in the inside lane traveling at a slower pace...well tempers flare. My solutions is to signal my attempt to exit whethr in the outside lane or the inside lane and to kinda watch out for the other guy.

By the way exiting from the inside lane is like exiting or entering an on/off ramp on an interstate...you just got trust that everyone isdoing their part with this merging action
Old 07-05-2012, 06:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
first the mportant question I note a green online next to posters names and then a red offline next to posters names...what do they mean? .........
Green = online ........ The user is logged in to TOTV

Red = offline ........ The user is not logged in

Bill
Old 07-05-2012, 06:49 AM
Veteran member

I just go around and around (just like this thread) until I get dizzy then let go of the steering wheel and let the car exit where ever it wants to.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:31 AM
Location: Wisconsin, San Antonio, Germany, Korea, Alabama and soon The Villages

Reading comments about TV roundabouts I think of the movie European Vacation, with Chevy Chase going round and round saying, "Hey kids, Big Ben...Parliment."
Old 07-05-2012, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC1947 View Post
I just go around and around (just like this thread) until I get dizzy then let go of the steering wheel and let the car exit where ever it wants to.
I think I was behind you in a roundabout the other day.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I think I was behind you in a roundabout the other day.
I thought that was you but then I dozed off.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Smile Graciegirl, you make me laugh!

Quote:
Because SOME people from OTHER parts of the country view stop signs and traffic lights and yield signs as only "suggestions".

You're definitely right about that!

Joanie's mom
So happy to be here!
Old 07-05-2012, 09:15 AM
Smile Nothing to say about dog poop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
FWIW, here's some info from the IIHS re: roundabouts - - - click on #6 for their perspectives on traffic flow.....

Q&A: Roundabouts

Bill
Very interesting information. I read it all. Thanks for providing the link. I certainly believe that organization's data, but it does seen counter-intuitive to me. I suppose I'll get better at driving on those things with experience, but they honestly give me the creeps!

But here's my plan......I'm going to give the right-of way (with a smile and a wave) to anyone who wants it or takes it and hope others will graciously grant the same to me if I take the right of way in error. That should work!

Thanks, Bill!

Joaniesmom

Joanie's mom
So happy to be here!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.