Roundabouts Are Safe

Closed Thread
Old 12-11-2018, 12:06 AM
Default Roundabouts Are Safe

In the almost 6 years that I have lived here, I have not heard of 20 accidents in our roundabouts and there were no serious injuries in any of them. Compare that with the number of auto accidents at cross streets like 466 and Buena Vista or Morse Blvd., or 466A and Buena Vista or Morse Blvd. What about 466 and Rolling Acres? And how many of those have had bodily injuries or deaths?

The primary reason that roundabouts are safe is that all vehicles approaching a roundabout have to slow down. At these slower speeds, it is easier to avoid an accident when another driver doesn’t follow the proper procedures for negotiating the roundabout. I have seen many close calls and angry drivers when someone is not following proper procedures. However, close calls and angry drivers are better than accidents and injuries.

Roundabouts are easy as long as you stay in your lane, keep your speed at 20 MPH, use your turn signals whenever you exit, and NEVER change your lane in a roundabout. Since the snowbirds have returned, it is wise to give youself a little extra time to get to your destination. Be safe out there.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

I don't know if your statistics are accurate, but I do agree with your post.

Roundabouts are safe, especially if you use a little common sense. Yes, I do honk at people who do not follow the rules and yield to me when I have the right-of-way, but I have never come close to hitting anyone, probably because I do not expect people to follow the rules.

For example, I often see people driving 3/4 of the way around a roundabout in the outside lane. When I am in the inside lane, I do not drive next to a person in the outside lane, so if they want to go all of the way around the roundabout in the outside lane, I let them.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Agree that roundabouts are safer due to slower speeds. As far as the 466 at Buena Vista or Morse intersections go, a turn left on arrow only would cut down the serious crashes.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2018, 08:27 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Agree that roundabouts are safer due to slower speeds. As far as the 466 at Buena Vista or Morse intersections go, a turn left on arrow only would cut down the serious crashes.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Roundabouts have their limitations.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappy View Post
In the almost 6 years that I have lived here, I have not heard of 20 accidents in our roundabouts and there were no serious injuries in any of them. Compare that with the number of auto accidents at cross streets like 466 and Buena Vista or Morse Blvd., or 466A and Buena Vista or Morse Blvd. What about 466 and Rolling Acres? And how many of those have had bodily injuries or deaths?

The primary reason that roundabouts are safe is that all vehicles approaching a roundabout have to slow down. At these slower speeds, it is easier to avoid an accident when another driver doesn’t follow the proper procedures for negotiating the roundabout. I have seen many close calls and angry drivers when someone is not following proper procedures. However, close calls and angry drivers are better than accidents and injuries.

Roundabouts are easy as long as you stay in your lane, keep your speed at 20 MPH, use your turn signals whenever you exit, and NEVER change your lane in a roundabout. Since the snowbirds have returned, it is wise to give youself a little extra time to get to your destination. Be safe out there.
The highlight above rules out about 50% of those using roundabouts. The near miss incident rate is substantial.
Always let the other person go first.
Always assume the person next to you or in front of you will cross over into your lane.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Roundabouts Are Safe

It's the drivers who are the problem!
Old 12-11-2018, 09:38 AM

Not sure how to phase this but I "could" have an accident almost everyday if I followed the rules of the roundabout and did not drive defensively.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappy View Post

Spot on

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 12-11-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypress View Post
Not sure how to phase this but I "could" have an accident almost everyday if I followed the rules of the roundabout and did not drive defensively.
This is the best and most correct statement about the Roundabouts that i have ever read. Thankyou
Old 12-11-2018, 04:02 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypress View Post
One should ALWAYS drive defensibly whether they are in a round-a-bout, a standard intersection or just driving down the road.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,456 Posts

I’m amazed how many stop before entering roundabouts when no traffic is visible or in the roundabout, but the will roll through stops signs. Roundabouts entries are yeild signs, which means you don’t stop, you slow down and yeild if traffic IN the roundabout. When you stop with no traffic in the round about you clog up traffic behind you and risk getting hit. Remember right laner’s dont have the right of way when entering roundabout left lane traffic coming to exit. So don’t pop out and cause the left lane car to stop. This clogs up roundabouts and can cause accidents.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Remember right laner’s dont have the right of way when entering roundabout left lane traffic coming to exit. So don’t pop out and cause the left lane car to stop. .
Are you saying that BOTH lanes of the roundabout need to be clear before I can enter the roundabout ?
Old 12-12-2018, 06:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecoralbill View Post
Are you saying that BOTH lanes of the roundabout need to be clear before I can enter the roundabout ?
yes - ref column 1, paragraph 1, sentence one. "YIELD to all traffic in the roundabout".
ref paragraph 3,sentence 1, "DO NOT ENTER next to a vehicle in the roundabout".
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Roundabout-02-08-12.pdf (968.2 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by rustyp; 12-12-2018 at 06:44 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecoralbill View Post
YES!

The person in the inside lane may be leaving at the next exit. If you go out, they may hit you, and you will be at fault.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I’m amazed how many stop before entering roundabouts when no traffic is visible or in the roundabout, but the will roll through stops signs. Roundabouts entries are yeild signs, which means you don’t stop, you slow down and yeild if traffic IN the roundabout. When you stop with no traffic in the round about you clog up traffic behind you and risk getting hit. Remember right laner’s dont have the right of way when entering roundabout left lane traffic coming to exit. So don’t pop out and cause the left lane car to stop. This clogs up roundabouts and can cause accidents.
Saw that happen just yesterday. Morse Blvd & Stillwater circle

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Closed Thread

Tags
roundabouts, injuries, accidents, roundabout, safe

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.