Roundabouts vs Stop Signs

Closed Thread
Old 10-07-2013, 06:20 AM
Veteran member
Default Roundabouts vs Stop Signs

Check this video out:

MythBusters test a four-way stop vs. a roundabout. [VIDEO]

Mythbusters Adam & Jamie test the efficiency of roundabouts vs stop signs.
This video is about 10 minutes long. Although, the roundabouts were not two lanes like here, the result were pretty clear.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:46 AM
Veteran member

Well, efficient, yes. However, safety might be another test worth making. Especially here in The Villages, where we have lots of elderly people in various states of ability and/or impairment. Not sure there would be a clear winner either way.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:08 AM
Sage

If a driver is not capable of properly negotiating a roundabout, he/she should not be driving at all.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I lived in the Phillipines for almost a year and there are almost no stop signs at all. Somehow everyone works it all out. I saw no accidents at intersections.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

This little test doesn't take into consideration that a lot of people don't know the rules of the four way stop nor the round-a-bout. I don't know how many times I've stopped at a stop sign here at the same time as another car to my right and the other driver just sits there and looks at me. They clearly have the right of way, but don't seem to understand that. Then when I finally decide to proceed because it's obvious that they're not going to, they begin to move. I stop again and they stop again. After a few more of these, one of us goes and the one who should have went first curses me out.

Yes, and many people don't know the rules at our round-a-bouts. I have had many people continue past the second exit in the right hand lane and I've even seen a few go all the way back around in the outside lane. You just have to be careful and expect the unexpected.

The round-a-bout in this test doesn't have two lanes and all the drivers in both tests seem to know the rules.

Funny thing is, that even though this test show them to be more efficient, there's a move in Massachusetts to get rid of their "rotaries" or "circles" as most people call them
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.

Last edited by Dr Winston O Boogie jr; 10-07-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
This little test doesn't take into consideration that a lot of people don't know the rules of the four way stop nor the round-a-bout. I don't know how many times I've stopped at a stop sign here at the same time as another car to my right and the other driver just sits there and looks at me. They clearly have the right of way, but don't seem to understand that. Then when I finally decide to proceed because it's obvious that they're not going to, they begin to move. I stop again and they stop again. After a few more of these, one of us goes and the one who should have went first curses me out.

Yes, and many people don't know the rules at our round-a-bouts. I have had many people continue past the second exit in the right hand lane and I've even seen a few go all the way back around in the outside lane. You just have to be careful and expect the unexpected.

The round-a-bout in this test doesn't have two lanes and all the drivers in both tests seem to know the rules.
Agree completely with your post, especially the first paragraph. I have to leave my village by a stop sign and need to take a left. Cannot tell you how many times I have waited for the person facing me to come straight across into the village because he has the right of way, but they dither about and it turns into a p......g match. Now, on the other hand, I see many people take that left right in front of an oncoming car coming straight across. PEOPLE DO NOT KNOW THE RULES OF THE ROAD, or which car has the right of way. But as my other half always says "do you want to be right, or DEAD right"?

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Last edited by Madelaine Amee; 10-07-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:06 AM
Platinum member

I love the roundabouts! Stop signs at every intersection would be a real drag!

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 10-07-2013, 03:42 PM
Default roundabouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
Check this video out:

MythBusters test a four-way stop vs. a roundabout. [VIDEO]

Mythbusters Adam & Jamie test the efficiency of roundabouts vs stop signs.
This video is about 10 minutes long. Although, the roundabouts were not two lanes like here, the result were pretty clear.
I have always thought that one lane roundabouts here in TV would work best....less confusion, less accidents.....but would be somewhat slower.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:28 PM
Veteran member

Just an observation, but from mid April to mid October there are almost NO posts about the roundabouts.......hmmm!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 10-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Gold member

I have almost been hit so many times by a driver in the right lane. They just go around with no regard for the car in the inside lane that I have totally stopped using the inside lane unless I am going past the first exit. I find this is the safest way to negotiate the roundabout if I am going straight. I know this is not part of the discussion but I am frustrated by drivers who insist on stopping at the yield sign even when it is so obvious that no car is coming around the roundabout.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,794 Times in 1,388 Posts

I think one of the biggest contributors to problems in and around the roundabouts, stop signs, yield signs and yes the yellow and red stop lights.......

ATTITUDE!!!!!

btk
Old 10-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Wouldn't it be nice

I know it is not feasible but wouldn't it be nice that before you got a TV ID you would have to attend a golf cart safety class and a round about safety class?
Old 10-07-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
I have almost been hit so many times by a driver in the right lane. They just go around with no regard for the car in the inside lane that I have totally stopped using the inside lane unless I am going past the first exit. I find this is the safest way to negotiate the roundabout if I am going straight. I know this is not part of the discussion but I am frustrated by drivers who insist on stopping at the yield sign even when it is so obvious that no car is coming around the roundabout.
You're not supposed to use the inside lane and then make the first right...the inside lane is supposed to go PAST the first turn irregardless of the way the lanes are painted. Look at the signage...it always shows the left lane going to the inside lane and skipping the first right turn. If you both enter the circle at the same time, the right lane is not expecting you to turn into the first right.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
If a driver is not capable of properly negotiating a roundabout, he/she should not be driving at all.
Who enforces this ? Family ? They probably live up north...
Old 10-08-2013, 08:49 AM
Location: Village of Charlotte (Lauren Villas) from Circleville, Ohio
Default No Problem!!

When we first came to TV, I was sure that I would never be able to drive through TV because of the round abouts. They scared me to death. I was sure that the only way I could go any where would be to drive around the outside of The Villages. But after I finally got up the courage to tackle one I quickly learned that they were not really that difficult at all. The secret is PAY ATTENTION!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.