Roundabouts vs Stop Signs

Closed Thread
Old 10-09-2013, 12:32 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
Check this video out:

MythBusters test a four-way stop vs. a roundabout. [VIDEO]

Mythbusters Adam & Jamie test the efficiency of roundabouts vs stop signs.
This video is about 10 minutes long. Although, the roundabouts were not two lanes like here, the result were pretty clear.
unfortunately since there ARE 2 lanes in the roundabouts here the test is not valid. That's basic to testing a scenario, apples to apples not oranges, this test does not meet scientific method basic criteria if you try to apply those results here. sorry. our numbers would probably be significantly higher for throughput
Old 10-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donb9006 View Post
You're not supposed to use the inside lane and then make the first right...the inside lane is supposed to go PAST the first turn irregardless of the way the lanes are painted. Look at the signage...it always shows the left lane going to the inside lane and skipping the first right turn. If you both enter the circle at the same time, the right lane is not expecting you to turn into the first right.
I know this I just did not convey what I was trying to get across very well.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aln View Post
Just an observation, but from mid April to mid October there are almost NO posts about the roundabouts.......hmmm!
true, but you can complain all through the summer about people who don't use turn signals and endanger people in cars, in carts, walking and biking.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,430 Times in 2,425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneycat View Post
unfortunately since there ARE 2 lanes in the roundabouts here the test is not valid. That's basic to testing a scenario, apples to apples not oranges, this test does not meet scientific method basic criteria if you try to apply those results here. sorry.
TOTV posters hardly ever apply any science to their posts!
Old 10-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Default anything goes!!!

I have read every explanation of the roundabouts and have the best conclusion - Do want you want and let the insurance companies argue it out! Every "rule" is different. They are the worst thing I ever saw as traveling is concerned. I totally agree that they should be only one lane since you do not know where the innner lane will turn and into what lane on the road to turn at. They just pick a lane, either right or left and dive for it!
Old 10-11-2013, 01:05 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru8 View Post
Every "rule" is different. They are the worst thing I ever saw as traveling is concerned. I totally agree that they should be only one lane since you do not know where the innner lane will turn and into what lane on the road to turn at. They just pick a lane, either right or left and dive for it!
There is really only one set of rule and if everybody followed it, there would be no problem. Not knowing the rules for anything is part of the problem. Ignorance is no excuse. Besides, if they were only one lane, large tractor trailers or moving vans would not be able to negotiate them as they require wider roads when rounding corners.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru8 View Post
I have read every explanation of the roundabouts and have the best conclusion - Do want you want and let the insurance companies argue it out! Every "rule" is different. They are the worst thing I ever saw as traveling is concerned. I totally agree that they should be only one lane since you do not know where the innner lane will turn and into what lane on the road to turn at. They just pick a lane, either right or left and dive for it!
Where did you see that there is more than one set of rules? That's just not correct at all. The pictures at every roundabout give you all the options in one simple glance. It's simple and anyone who says it isn't...well...

I take it that you, Maru8, do not live here?
Old 10-11-2013, 06:16 PM
Sage

One of his 15 posts was positive.............................
Old 10-11-2013, 06:38 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aln View Post
Just an observation, but from mid April to mid October there are almost NO posts about the roundabouts.......hmmm!
Amen

PS: Also the gates are not knocked down
Old 10-11-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
The car that came in.......................they did not yield to cars already in the roundabout. Note: there is a yield sign at the entrance to all roundabouts.
Yes, there is a yield sign, but some people think if the outside lane is open, they have room to enter.

The yield sign should say, YIELD TO ALL LANES
Old 10-11-2013, 09:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqrstar View Post
Yes, there is a yield sign, but some people think if the outside lane is open, they have room to enter.

Yield..........means yield. People should not be thinking!
Or, maybe the sign should read YIELD TO ALL LANES AT ALL TIMES.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:04 PM
Platinum member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
TOTV posters hardly ever apply any science to their posts!
"Science? We don't need no stinkin' science."

(With apologies to the banditos in Treasure of The Sierra Madre.)

Old 10-12-2013, 04:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqrstar View Post

Just another example - How simple can it be? Yield means NO traffic is in the roundabout coming your way. Again very simple. If any traffic is in there that auto may be taking that exit (their right to do so) so stay out until clear.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,943 Times in 796 Posts
Talking

I hesitate to enter this foray, but... I think the sign at the roundabout is tricky to decipher quickly when you're new to roundabouts. There's a lot of info there that you must translate from a graph into words in your head while still watching the road. I get it now, but it took a few times passing the signs, plus someone on this forum explaining to treat a roundabout like a four-lane intersection.

I think some kind of signage with words under the graph sign would be helpful... Something like DON'T TURN LEFT FROM THE RIGHT-HAND LANE, YOU DUMB***!
Old 10-12-2013, 07:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I hesitate to enter this foray, but... I think the sign at the roundabout is tricky to decipher quickly when you're new to roundabouts. There's a lot of info there that you must translate from a graph into words in your head while still watching the road. I get it now, but it took a few times passing the signs, plus someone on this forum explaining to treat a roundabout like a four-lane intersection.

I think some kind of signage with words under the graph sign would be helpful... Something like DON'T TURN LEFT FROM THE RIGHT-HAND LANE, YOU DUMB***!
I have a lightweight ladder and stencils...... When can we start?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.