Running Flea Market out of TV Garage

Closed Thread
Old 12-19-2016, 08:33 AM
Veteran member
Default Running Flea Market out of TV Garage

I notice that on the TV Classified postings, there are sellers with 15-20 items...every day...different items. Does anyone live next to one of these sellers? Is there a lot of traffic? Are we allowed to run a business out of our garage?

Just curious....
Old 12-19-2016, 09:42 AM
Veteran member

Old 12-19-2016, 10:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by N44125 View Post
I notice that on the TV Classified postings, there are sellers with 15-20 items...every day...different items. Does anyone live next to one of these sellers? Is there a lot of traffic? Are we allowed to run a business out of our garage?

Just curious....
I've noticed those postings as well and wondered why they don't just put ALL of the items in one posting in the classifieds.

In answer to your question re: running a business out of a house (or garage) here in T.V.---NO!!! We aren't to do that...we all have signed agreements with our paperwork when we closed on our homes here. IF someone is doing that then, eventually they will be reported (or should be).
Old 12-19-2016, 01:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

This maybe some of the local consignment shops.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:45 PM
Gold member

Is there a reason you don't check with the Villages Community Development District for this information? It seems you would get the plain truth in lieu of word of mouth.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:01 PM
Veteran member

The Prof has been doing this for at least five years
Old 12-19-2016, 04:56 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW

To answer your questions: NO, I don't know, and NO

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 12-19-2016, 07:00 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

Just curious....
I don't know about running a flea market in a garage, but visit the Spanih Springs Post Office on any day and you can see what looks like people running eBay businesses from thier house. When they pull up in a golf cart full of packages I bet they are residents and not Santa.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:32 PM
nkrifats

Something wrong with that? They are going to the post office?
Old 12-19-2016, 08:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
I don't know about running a flea market in a garage, but visit the Spanih Springs Post Office on any day and you can see what looks like people running eBay businesses from thier house. When they pull up in a golf cart full of packages I bet they are residents and not Santa.
How does this effect their neighbors??
Old 12-19-2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
There is nothing illegal about running an eBay business out of your home. You can actually have a business out of your home as long as it doesn't have traffic coming to the home.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Short answer - Not allowed.

Longer answer -

I also notice people advertising items several times a day. Obviously a buy and sell operation.
I assume there would be traffic to the home as people would be visiting the garage to examine inventory.
If that's the case, I would think a neighbor would have reported them already.
Or perhaps it really is Florida's Friendliest Home Town.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Short answer - Not allowed.

Longer answer -

I also notice people advertising items several times a day. Obviously a buy and sell operation.
I assume there would be traffic to the home as people would be visiting the garage to examine inventory.
If that's the case, I would think a neighbor would have reported them already.
Or perhaps it really is Florida's Friendliest Home Town.
Nothing to do with "Florida's Friendliest home town, it's in the deed restrictions.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:20 AM

If someone is visiting the P.O. so what. Selling used items on eBay commonly used in a person's home usually sell for less than they cost. Nothing wrong with that and it's hardly a business. It's a loss, not a profit.

Last edited by RichardWalker; 12-20-2016 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:45 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardWalker View Post
If someone is visiting the P.O. so what. Selling used items on eBay commonly used in a person's home usually sell for less than they cost. Nothing wrong with that and it's hardly a business. It's a loss, not a profit.
Selling an excess item on eBay or through TOTV is one thing. We have all done this. Operating an EBay business is quite different. I know someone, not in TV, that makes a nice profit selling items on eBay. He will shop thrift stores and garage sales to pick up items for resale. His garage is his warehouse. I am sure he is not the only person to figure this out and there are folks here doing the same thing.

The question is can you run a business out of your home. I believe the answer is "no". You signed an agreement stating you would not do this when you purchased your home. May be splitting hairs here, but a business is a business regardless if it is posting items for sale on the TOTV classifieds or on eBay.

Tags
items, sellers, garage, curious, business

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.