Running stop sign arrest

Closed Thread
Old 06-28-2014, 05:48 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Many times when I stop and a cart is behind me, they will stay on my rear and push me thru. Some almost are upset that I would have the nerve to stop.
Cars are much bigger than carts!
Old 06-28-2014, 07:06 AM
Gold member

While stopping when directed to is the smart and safe thing to do, those white posts with the word "STOP" on them are not legal stop signs. Only the red octagonal stop signs are legal for traffic control according to FDOT.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:13 AM
Platinum member

We live on a corner and there are 2 stop signs. Every day I see people running the stop signs. Most slow down, but some don't. I have even seen people on bicycles just whizzing on through like the sign is not even there.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 06-28-2014, 07:16 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Many times when I stop and a cart is behind me, they will stay on my rear and push me thru. Some almost are upset that I would have the nerve to stop.
I've had a few tailgate me and start yelling because I stopped or I'm not going fast enough on the cart path and they can't pass. I find turning up the radio to drown them out throws them off their game.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Doc - What you see as not being wrong seems to be in conflict with Florida statutes...I hope you never have to get into that discussion with a guy who has a ticket book in his hand and is asking you for your license, registration and insurance card!

The 2013 Florida Statutes
316.003 Definitions
(51) STOP.—When required, complete cessation from movement.
Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

316.123 Vehicle entering stop or yield intersection.—
(1) The right-of-way at an intersection may be indicated by stop signs or yield signs as authorized in s. 316.006.
(2)(a) Except when directed to proceed by a police officer or traffic control signal, every driver of a vehicle approaching a stop intersection indicated by a stop sign shall stop at a clearly marked stop line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if none, then at the point nearest the intersecting roadway where the driver has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway before entering the intersection. After having stopped, the driver shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicle which has entered the intersection from another highway or which is approaching so closely on said highway as to constitute an immediate hazard during the time when the driver is moving across or within the intersection.
Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine
I'm not arguing the letter of the law. What I'm saying is that in some cases reasonable people can do things that don't follow the letter of the law, but don't harm anyone and don't put anyone in danger. It's not just stop signs. How many of you have driven a few miles per hour over the speed limit. Do you think that everyone going 33 in a 30 mph zone should be stopped and ticketed? Some here would say yes. In fact some people might suggest that you turn yourself in and explain to the police what you did and insist that they give you a ticket. Is that reasonable?

There are many instances where the letter of the law is not followed and nothing is done about it because to take action, would be completely unreasonable. Obviously, a driver that completely blows though a stop sign or causes and accident after a rolling stop is being unreasonable, irresponsible, unsafe and causing a danger to the public.

You can post all of the laws you want and you can talk all you want about counting three seconds. To me some people can get a bit anal about these kinds of things. Some would have us believe that a driver that can see a half mile in all directions 20 yards before an intersection and slows down to 5 mph before proceeding cautiously is somehow presenting a danger to the public. To me, some people get a bit anal about some of these things.

I think that we have people in the world who think that it's their job to run around nitpicking everyone's actions and then discussing it. If little things like this bother you, I feel sorry for you. That's simply too much stress for me to deal with. I see people doing things all the time that could cause accidents if not for other drivers being alert. Slowly rolling through stop signs where it is clear that there is no traffic is not one of them.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Are you saying that people in carts have actually, physically pushed you though a stop sign?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:40 AM

Choices may well be based on the proposition that a 'reasonable person' is making a decision with all variables considered. With that in mind , a person chooses to act and then must face the consequences of that action. Cause and effect ,(run a light or stop sign or any other choice or decision) get a ticket. I taught Kindergarten . I taught my students the above ,choose your action, and be responsible for that action, and it's consequences. I used this as a way of explaining responsibility and respect. This should be taught at home but for the most part it became objective.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Sweeny View Post
Choices may well be based on the proposition that a 'reasonable person' is making a decision with all variables considered. With that in mind , a person chooses to act and then must face the consequences of that action. Cause and effect ,(run a light or stop sign or any other choice or decision) get a ticket. I taught Kindergarten . I taught my students the above ,choose your action, and be responsible for that action, and it's consequences. I used this as a way of explaining responsibility and respect. This should be taught at home but for the most part it became objective.
I don't disagree with that.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Sweeny View Post
I so agree.

There is nothing on this earth better than a good kindergarten teacher. I am NOT teasing.

Think before you act. Follow the rules. You aren't the ONLY person in this world. For NOW, color in the lines. Learn these things and then create your own values.

Last edited by graciegirl; 06-28-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:37 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I so agree.

There is nothing on this earth better than a good kindergarten teacher. I am NOT teasing.

Think before you act. Follow the rules. You aren't the ONLY person in this world. For NOW, color in the lines. Learn we rthese things and then create your own values.
I believe some never got the memo. A few minutes ago I observed a lady in a cart pass a mobility scooter that was almost at the crest of the cart bridge going up. No thought what so ever of what may be coming up the other side. I'm willing to bet her car driving is no better.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:22 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I'm not arguing the letter of the law.
snipped
I get that, Doc. You are simply agruing the necessity to follow it and to enforce it. To each his own. I'll be the one stopped at all red lights and stop signs.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
I believe some never got the memo. A few minutes ago I observed a lady in a cart pass a mobility scooter that was almost at the crest of the cart bridge going up. No thought what so ever of what may be coming up the other side. I'm willing to bet her car driving is no better.
My point is that behavior like that is extremely dangerous as opposed to slowly rolling through a stop sing and almost coming to a stop and proceeding when it is clear that there are no cars coming from any direction.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
I get that, Doc. You are simply agruing the necessity to follow it and to enforce it. To each his own. I'll be the one stopped at all red lights and stop signs.
And I have no problem with that. Just please don't be telling me that when I slowly roll through a stop sign after I've looked and all four directions and can clearly see that there is no other traffic, that I'm doing something dangerous.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:19 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
And I have no problem with that. Just please don't be telling me that when I slowly roll through a stop sign after I've looked and all four directions and can clearly see that there is no other traffic, that I'm doing something dangerous.
LOL...just in violation of the statute!

Old 06-28-2014, 01:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

I wasn't really speeding just eased over the 65 limit traffic was clear and yes I looked in all directions before rolling into the intersection..What's the problem I'm a safe driver. Officer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.