It’s a mad house

Closed Thread
Old 02-28-2021, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ceasar View Post
Unfortunately The trouble with The villages is that they are not the city of New York and they have no idea ahead of plan any event for the crush of people. That's the good and the bad of a place with 100,000 people while trying to get into one store. That's why I've learned not to recommend any restaurants because you'll get 500 people deciding to go to one place that seats 150 and I'll never get in again. I don't go to Spanish springs in the fall because of the stupid car shows and the fact that there's no parking so I can't go to the movies. It's really ridiculous in this place car show after car show after car show. The same thing happens whenever they have events in the squares you have 100,000 people with nothing better to do than to get in their golf cart for a nice evening ride and you see the ridiculous traffic. The crazy thing is you have a wonderful town of all the wood and Leesburg struggling to survive and yet no one is willing to drive an extra 10 minutes to go shopping in these places. The Leesburg Mall had four large department stores 3 years ago they're now down to one. I'd really like to pop this bubble but everyone in the villages is too damn lazy to get in their car instead of their cart
You should move into TV. I bet you would like it too

I am so glad that it is nothing like NY.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
I forgot that the Strawberry Festival was taking place today at Brownwood when I went for my afternoon treat at Scooples. The huge volume of both car and golf cart traffic exiting the Hillsborough gate heading south should have alerted me that something big was taking place near Brownwood.

The traffic was what I would image takes place in New York City during rush hour. There were so many cars and carts just cruising to find a place to park. It would have been nice if the Wildwood police would have directed traffic at the first intersection as you enter Brownwood from the east.

I found a parking space for my cart. But also found that the line at Scooples was too long for me this afternoon. As the population of the Villages continues to grow, the planners of these types of events need to consider better traffic control measures. Or, maybe just add an extra day to the festivities to let more people in on the fun as the Villages continues to grow in population.
OH MY GOODNESS!!!! You couldn’t get ice cream one time. What kind of place do we live in.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:38 AM

Happy TV is NOT NY.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:45 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrutyle109 View Post
OH MY GOODNESS!!!! You couldn’t get ice cream one time. What kind of place do we live in.
Actually, I then went to PDQ for one of their strawberry shakes. I did not enjoy lines in the military and still have that same dislike of standing in long lines today. However, the point I was trying to make as heard by some was “As the population of the Villages continues to grow, the planners of these types of events need to consider better traffic control measures. Or, maybe just add an extra day to the festivities to let more people in on the fun as the Villages continues to grow in population."
Old 02-28-2021, 08:18 AM
Send a message via AIM to CCristella Send a message via Yahoo to CCristella

need to start charging a toll to cross 44 from South to North
Old 02-28-2021, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I'm not a fan of all of these special events at all. When I first got here I went to all the parades, festivals and arts and craft shows. After the first couple of visits I felt that they are all too crowded and have nothing that really interests me.

For me, they are an annoyance if I have to go anywhere near or through the square. But it seems that thousands of people enjoy them so I guess that I'm in the minority.

In any event, they are not going to stop so I am working on simply accepting them and trying to not get so annoyed. If I'm going somewhere, I'll take a route that circumvents that particular town square.

"God, grant me the serenity to ACCEPT THE THINGS I CANNOT CHANGE, courage to the change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference."

I believe that I've been granted the wisdom to know that I can't change this so I'm trying real hard to just accept it and not allow it to raise my blood pressure.

I also try to feel happy for the people that do enjoy these events.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:50 AM
Thumbs up Well stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I remember as early as 2013 going to Florida Lottery Night at Brownwood and seeing the doo whop band "The Flamingos" who was favorite one and there was 7,000 people. That' right 2013. Here's a one minute video I shot from the grandstand on March 9, 2013. There was no dance floor, it was a solid crowd to the grandstands and all around to the street.

Flamingos Live at the Villages, Florida the Paddock Square 3/9/2013 - YouTube

I remember going in at noon to Brownwood in 2014 to Colonial Days, I don't even know what it was. I actually drove through every parking lot and could not find a parking space, this was 7 years ago, and the only restaurant open was City Fire. So having a big crowd in 2021 I'm not surprised.

The Villages Florida
Old 02-28-2021, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCristella View Post
need to start charging a toll to cross 44 from South to North
Really?
Old 02-28-2021, 11:02 AM

I curious where do you live?
Old 02-28-2021, 12:25 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,760 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom2172 View Post
TV is overbuilt it will only get worse. Quaintness which was once TV is gone.
TV quickly becoming an overpopulated city with traffic & congestion and all the other problems.
I agree completely. I do think many have no idea what it "was like back then", when it actually was the friendliest home town you could dream of. People were MUCH more outgoing. Now you can go to the postal boxes and many (not all of course) will not even make eye contact, let alone stop and chat, introduce themselves, etc. like.... sorry to those nasty people who will reply, "THEN MOVE if you don't like it". That's not the intent of this at all, this is only a comment (and some others do seem to remember back some years when this was such a warm, friendly place and people were respectful, helpful, etc.) that not all people have changed, but many have. Golf-cart traffic, once safe, cautious, and most folks took the instruction for golf etiquette, driving autos and carts in the V's, etc. Now seems like anything goes, get out of my way, and MANY go way over the limit for carts, MANY !

Last edited by Pairadocs; 02-28-2021 at 12:27 PM. Reason: sp error
Old 02-28-2021, 12:57 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,760 Times in 758 Posts
Default It needed to be said, and you said it, good for you !

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
I don’t understand the (smugness,spite,eliteness,envy,hatred)shown by those “down there” we are all here to enjoy a fantastic place to spend our lives. Some look down their nose at the historic side , degrade the real villages as if the below 44 is paradise. The facts are if you are happy where you live and your life , screw the narrow minded elitist who .think they are some how superior because of where they live. Nobody cares if your home is a palace or not it’s only important in your mind ,I live in a very nice CV and do not envy the ones in their 1 million plus homes.
Over the years we've witnessed it all, all that you mentioned ! Those who own $800K and up homes with huge pools, out door kitchens, and (some) will then "trash" talk about the original villages calling it a trashy trailer park, and worse ! Have heard so much of this over time, your remarks needed to be said. What is wrong inside people (or missing inside them ?) that they can't be at peace with the selection of lot, village, and home model they chose, but, feel the need to disparage the selection of others, why, to make them feel "superior", that they made a "better" choice ? People are indeed strange, heard a person once "straighten out" a neighbor who mentioned when he bought his model of Premier home.... yada yada, and the neighbor IMMEDIATELY informed him he did NOT have a "Premier" home, and then began to explain why ! People ??? Fragile egos ? Had to chuckle, what IF, what IF the person living in what some call the "Villages ghetto" (nicer name, "Historic Villages") is actually the multi-millionaire ? What if that person has 4 home, Hawaii, Villages, Mountain lodge, one in Caribbean.... LOL....is actually financially astute, LOL.... some people are indeed strange and draw strange and inaccurate conclusions about others....LOL ! The world is indeed a stage !
Old 02-28-2021, 04:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebooo View Post
I curious where do you live?
Who?
Consider using reply with a quote....
Old 02-28-2021, 04:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Over the years we've witnessed it all, all that you mentioned ! Those who own $800K and up homes with huge pools, out door kitchens, and (some) will then "trash" talk about the original villages calling it a trashy trailer park, and worse ! Have heard so much of this over time, your remarks needed to be said. What is wrong inside people (or missing inside them ?) that they can't be at peace with the selection of lot, village, and home model they chose, but, feel the need to disparage the selection of others, why, to make them feel "superior", that they made a "better" choice ? People are indeed strange, heard a person once "straighten out" a neighbor who mentioned when he bought his model of Premier home.... yada yada, and the neighbor IMMEDIATELY informed him he did NOT have a "Premier" home, and then began to explain why ! People ??? Fragile egos ? Had to chuckle, what IF, what IF the person living in what some call the "Villages ghetto" (nicer name, "Historic Villages") is actually the multi-millionaire ? What if that person has 4 home, Hawaii, Villages, Mountain lodge, one in Caribbean.... LOL....is actually financially astute, LOL.... some people are indeed strange and draw strange and inaccurate conclusions about others....LOL ! The world is indeed a stage !
Your examples from my experience, the last 19 years, are few and very far between. To infer what you describe is common in TV does an injustice to the 99 + % of people that don’t ascribe to this behavior.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,941 Times in 2,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Actually as this place continues to grow might be even more people attending.

agree there when brown wood will be north central in villages.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:08 PM

2021 0303 Wed 😷 15:04
re: wouldn’t move here the way it is now
Thriving? Vibrant? Socially buzzing? Beautiful? Evolving? Growing? Active? Affordable! This, my “fellow” resident, is all happening during a global pandemic!

Not only would I love here, I did - last year, in September. TV is a blessing.
Closed Thread

Tags
place, traffic, brownwood, grow, found

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.