Safety ‘Tip of the Day’ for all!!

Closed Thread
Old 06-12-2023, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Another....................when walking on the street or on a path, walk against traffic.

There must be a state or two in the USA which teaches to walk with traffic.
You can't see what's coming and since U R old, you can't hear what's coming.

I have to disagree. I think it makes more sense to walk where it's safest. I see people walking into oncoming cart traffic at curves that are planted right up to the blacktop. No where to go when carts come around the curve not expecting to see people in front of them. And if another cart is coming in the other direction it's a potential nightmare! If they were on the other side of the path there is about 20' of grass they can easily strip into if needed. My .02.
Old 06-12-2023, 08:02 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
...and don't get me started on those people who drive diagonally across parking lots!
You mean zip across the unused vast open areas of the parking lot to avoid stopping for the multitude of pedestrians causing me to stop every 3 seconds?

Guilty as charged but I only do it with clear unobstructed view because cars are doing it too!
Old 06-12-2023, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Popeye! View Post
GET OFF THE PHONE when walking and crossing streets!
I had this happen to me a couple years ago at a Lowe's parking lot. Some guy just walked right out in front of me with his nose in his phone and as I was slamming on my brakes had the nerve to hold up his hand to tell me to stop and didn't even look up or miss a step. Couldn't even look up to make sure I saw HIM. Good thing I was only going slow and paying attention.
Old 06-12-2023, 09:04 AM

Heres the best safety tip everybody should memorize. Right lane for exiting or going straight, left lane for going straight or going around. DO NOT GO AROUND A ROUND ABOUT FROM THE RIGHT LANE. Do that and your toast.
Old 06-12-2023, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Another....................when walking on the street or on a path, walk against traffic.

There must be a state or two in the USA which teaches to walk with traffic.
You can't see what's coming and since U R old, you can't hear what's coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisgavin View Post
I have to disagree. I think it makes more sense to walk where it's safest. I see people walking into oncoming cart traffic at current that are planted right up to the blacktop. No where to go when carts come around the curve not expecting to see people in front of them. And if another cart is coming in the other direction it's a potential nightmare! If they were on the other side of the path there is about 20' of grass they can easily strip into if needed. My .02.
You point out a common sense exception, however, otherwise walk on left facing traffic.
Old 06-12-2023, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
If your vehicle doesn't have a backup camera, or at least sensors that warn you of something in the rear, buy another vehicle.
Or pull up to the next spot on pull thru spot.
Old 06-13-2023, 06:16 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Texting and walking.
Old 06-13-2023, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
I had this happen to me a couple years ago at a Lowe's parking lot. Some guy just walked right out in front of me with his nose in his phone and as I was slamming on my brakes had the nerve to hold up his hand to tell me to stop and didn't even look up or miss a step. Couldn't even look up to make sure I saw HIM. Good thing I was only going slow and paying attention.
Reminds me of a similar situation about 15 years ago. I had a 30-yr old dude step off the store sidewalk into the non-busy parking lot road about 10 feet in front of me. Not in a crosswalk, not looking, talking on his phone, and taking his time. I wasn't speeding but I kept driving towards him like I wasn't going to stop which made him jump and walk faster when I got closer. I wasn't going to hit him just teach a lesson and had my other foot ready to brake. I don't recommend being on either side of the situation at our age though, slower reflexes and all. But it felt right at the time.
Closed Thread

Tags
street, cross, golf, carts, safe

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.