Salt free whole house water softeners

Closed Thread
Old 07-11-2023, 10:01 AM
Default Salt free whole house water softeners

If you have a salt free whole house water softener, can you give me a recommendation who installed your system, when, and if you are happy with it. Thank you so much. I appreciate any and all replies here.
Old 07-11-2023, 10:03 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

we have the Nova softener using Potasium pellets, it's about 5 years old now and very pleased with it. Cost today is right around $1,000.00 installed. We also have the Nova filter system which is well worth the cost.
Old 07-11-2023, 11:16 AM

Well, "salt-free whole house water softener" is a misnomer. There isn't any such thing. There is though a salt free whole house water conditioner . Water softeners & water conditioners perform 2 different functions. The water softener actually removes "hardness" minerals (calcium & magnesium) thus giving soft water. Soft water will allow you to use less soap and detergent and provide the benefit of not having scale buildup in your appliances, faucets, and fixtures (sinks, toilets). The "conditioner" will help somewhat in helping to prevent the scale buildup but will not give the additional advantages of truly soft water. BTW, water in Sumter county does have some iron which can damage the conditioner media making it totally ineffective. Iron can also damage the ion bed used in softeners. Prefilters are recommended before either system to remove particulates (sand/sediment), metals & especially chlorine. Chlorine can damage both systems too.

Anyone selling a salt-free water softener is misleading you. I'd suggest reading up on both before making a decision. And I have heard that one salt-free "conditioner" company will potentially charge you a different price than your neighbor. If you immediately decide, they get you at their highly inflated price, if you act like you're not totally sure, they come down in price to make the sale. These people are salesmen and don't necessarily know the chemistry behind what they are selling too. And don't be swayed by any dog & pony show.

Water in Sumter county has a hardness value of 163mg/l per the latest (2022) water report. 121 - 180 mg/l is considered hard. If you want a complete water report, send an email to: utilities@districtgov.org

I am not associated with Nova Systems but have installed their filter & softener system in 2 houses here. I highly recommend their system. And while they recommend potassium chloride (salt), you can also use sodium chloride (salt). The latter is cheaper but sodium chloride will kill plants around where the ion bed flushes. Potassium will not kill plants and will aid in their growth as potassium is a component of fertilizer (N-P-K which is nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium - K is the elemental symbol for potassium coming from Kalium which is an old latin word for potash). I know, more information than you probably want.

Last edited by metoo21; 07-11-2023 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-11-2023, 11:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

We have a "salt" based water softener, and I have actually tested the water in the house, and have NEVER had any reading of salt in the water. Please do some research, standard water softeners use the salt to clean the resin filter, and then the cycle cleans the resin filter of any salt reside, the result is salt free softened water. I have used salt based water softeners (all Sears units) for over 45 years, and have never had any concerns about salt in the water.

Feel free to send me a PM if you would like to discuss further.
Old 07-11-2023, 11:40 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

All softeners are ion exchange devices. There is no magic difference from brand to brand or salt to salt free. All replace the impurity ion (lime, iron or whatever) with sodium or potassium ion then flush the ion during the rinse cycle.

If you really want a salt free system buy any regular softer and use potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride. But you're wasting your money on the salt substitute.
Old 07-16-2023, 10:21 AM
Sage

Your primary concern is not soft water but purified water as in a Nova whole house filter.

Tags
salt, house, water, free, replies

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.