Beware garage door repar company!

Closed Thread
Old 01-07-2022, 05:32 PM
Default Beware garage door repar company!

BEWARE GARAGE DOOR REPAIRMAN! Spring on garage door broke over New Years holiday. Very concerned about opening/closing, wasn't right. Called ROMAC Emergency 24/7 #. No response. Monday morning called "Samedayoverhead.com". Got someone live immediately. Yes, "we are in The Villages and will be there between 11 and 1pm". After 1pm. I Called again 305-360-5180. Reached John Robinson, technician. He will be there in a little over an hour. 3:15 he got here. Quoted me $867.00 or so to replace springs, cables, etc. Thought that was very high. But concerned about possibly damaging garage door. Talked, I trusted him, he said $700 approx. was the going rate in The Villages. Do it. He replaced the springs, cables, etc. Final bill. $742.00. Come to find out next day Romac (and others) do the same repairs for $350. Called John back, he said thats what he has to charge. Lies. He said he was in The Villages but apparently he doesnt. He said he lives in Lakeland, about 80 miles from here. He said he usually only gets about 1 call a day and thats why he has to charge what he does. No kidding. He was late, I believe he knowingly overcharged me as "a Villager", and after discussing said he would refund $50 or so. Really. Also, he called me Tueday morning saying Wells fargo had put a 5 day hold on his money, the funds had already been debited. Went to the bank, they said "it's his account, not yours"

So, if you have ANYONE you know that needs garage door maintenance,, have them read this. You will be doing them a big favor!
Old 01-07-2022, 06:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebiking View Post
I believe he knowingly overcharged me as "a Villager",

For years I always believed this.

To many people moving in TV that sold million-dollar homes in the New England states,
then come down with more money than God and pay the first overpriced jerk that knocks on their front door.

Word of mouth is still the best way to save $$$$$

Get out there people and meet your neighbors and start comparing notes on the good and bad service people
Old 01-07-2022, 06:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

"samedayoverhead.com" is not a repair company anywhere but in PA. They are company who takes names of installers everywhere in the country for a fee and then farms out the jobs to those who want them. According to their website they are in Allentown PA. They probably get $100 from the repair guy for the referral. Then he drives 160 miles RT etc etc. The fact that the upper right corner of their website says "Happy 4th of July" should have set off an alarm. Sorry to say, you got screwed over but I don't believe it is a scam just that you didn't do your due dilligence. Their BBB rating is an "F" https://www.bbb.org/us/pa/edwardsvil...0241-236053635 and this on Yelp SAME DAY OVERHEAD - Garage Door Services - 126 Bradley St, Plymouth, PA - Phone Number

Hopefully your post will prevent others from using them.

You should have called Romac on Monday. I had the same problem about 10 years ago in NJ when our sewer backed up. I called RotoRooter the day after Thanksgiving and he beat me for $700 for a $200 job. It wasn't a scam because he did the work and I accepted it. I was a fool for saying OK. An expensive lesson learned ......
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 01-07-2022 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-07-2022, 07:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
"samedayoverhead.com" is not a repair company anywhere but in PA. They are company who takes names of installers everywhere in the country for a fee and then farms out the jobs to those who want them. According to their website they are in Allentown PA. They probably get $100 from the repair guy for the referral. Then he drives 160 miles RT etc etc. The fact that the upper right corner of their website says "Happy 4th of July" should have set off an alarm. Sorry to say, you got screwed over but I don't believe it is a scam just that you didn't do your due dilligence. Their BBB rating is an "F" https://www.bbb.org/us/pa/edwardsvil...0241-236053635 and this on Yelp SAME DAY OVERHEAD - Garage Door Services - 126 Bradley St, Plymouth, PA - Phone Number

Hopefully your post will prevent others from using them.

You should have called Romac on Monday. I had the same problem about 10 years ago in NJ when our sewer backed up. I called RotoRooter the day after Thanksgiving and he beat me for $700 for a $200 job. It wasn't a scam because he did the work and I accepted it. I was a fool for saying OK. An expensive lesson learned ......

For what it is worth, we had a problem with our front door. i called the villages office, they recommended ROMAX. I believe they did the original work. It was a great experience. The tech was pleasant, knew what he was doing and the charge was reasonable.

I KNOW A GUY-we just had our home painted. We used ROCKEY 603 391 6658 (JAMES ROCKHOLT) arrived on time, did a great job at a reasonable price. For tires and service
Wildwood tires.
Old 01-07-2022, 08:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Ryan O'Cull, 352-207-5667, recently replace my garage door springs. The cost was $325.
Old 01-08-2022, 08:15 AM
Platinum member

yes, Ryan is great. and often times he's able to come right away, even on off hours.
Old 01-08-2022, 08:53 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,195 Times in 761 Posts

Shop around before you pick a contractor. Some contractors think the Villager's are either dumb or rich....
Old 01-08-2022, 06:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,940 Times in 2,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
Shop around before you pick a contractor. Some contractors think the Villager's are either dumb or rich....
Or both.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:17 PM

Another thumbs up for Ryan O'Cull. Very responsive and will tell you if there is a less expensive option.
Old 01-09-2022, 06:18 AM
Veteran member

My father always told me to ask the price beforehand. But of course we aren't as smart as our fathers. FYI you can always get an idea of what the price should be by looking for what the parts cost and multiplying by 3 for the whole job, or if you look right now on Google for garage door springs they'll run for tension springs about 80 to $150. Then if you figure what the labor is which could be 80 to 150 you would know that the telephone should be approximately $300 to $400. 3 years ago I had my garage springs replaced by a handyman $250. Tension springs replacement is something I would not handle myself as the potential to damage yourself is high but a regular pull spring I would do myself. If you use common sense and simply ask someone how long will the job take you should know what you should be paying, and I always tell people no I do not live in The villages if they're asking me in response to a price quote
Old 01-09-2022, 07:00 AM
Default Garage Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebiking View Post
BEWARE GARAGE DOOR REPAIRMAN! Spring on garage door broke over New Years holiday. Very concerned about opening/closing, wasn't right. Called ROMAC Emergency 24/7 #. No response. Monday morning called "Samedayoverhead.com". Got someone live immediately. Yes, "we are in The Villages and will be there between 11 and 1pm". After 1pm. I Called again 305-360-5180. Reached John Robinson, technician. He will be there in a little over an hour. 3:15 he got here. Quoted me $867.00 or so to replace springs, cables, etc. Thought that was very high. But concerned about possibly damaging garage door. Talked, I trusted him, he said $700 approx. was the going rate in The Villages. Do it. He replaced the springs, cables, etc. Final bill. $742.00. Come to find out next day Romac (and others) do the same repairs for $350. Called John back, he said thats what he has to charge. Lies. He said he was in The Villages but apparently he doesnt. He said he lives in Lakeland, about 80 miles from here. He said he usually only gets about 1 call a day and thats why he has to charge what he does. No kidding. He was late, I believe he knowingly overcharged me as "a Villager", and after discussing said he would refund $50 or so. Really. Also, he called me Tueday morning saying Wells fargo had put a 5 day hold on his money, the funds had already been debited. Went to the bank, they said "it's his account, not yours"

So, if you have ANYONE you know that needs garage door maintenance,, have them read this. You will be doing them a big favor!
Scott's Garage Door - 352 697 0321 - is also great. Scott is a retired Lake County Firefighter & is very honest. He replaced my oversized garage door opener and spring for approximately $600.
Old 01-09-2022, 07:37 AM

In the past when a garage door spring breaks it's never both, just one. I never let them replace both and they tell me the other will break soon but in my experience it never did. This is some years back in Illinois but I still own a home as a rental that I did that 10 years ago and all is still good. The other home I sold after 3 years of doing the same thing, replacing one, and the 2nd till that point had not broken. In todays world I'm not sure, but a garage door is still a garage door.
Old 01-09-2022, 07:40 AM
Veteran member

The last word is your said OK do its. Rip off repairman love uninformed homeowners , most offer a fair price but you determine if it was fair before authorizing the work.
Old 01-09-2022, 08:17 AM
Platinum member
Thumbs up

Gotta watch all the contractors around here. Word of mouth or doing a search is your best option.
Old 01-09-2022, 08:55 AM

Call Ryan O'Cull (352) 617 - 0522. Very honest, dependable, knowledgeable, and reasonably priced. He has done work for many neighbors and friends. He is extremely responsive. He will probably answer his phone; or, leave a message and he will return your call pretty quickly. BTW-- he was the one who told us that ROMAC installed incorrect springs on our garage door. ROMAC came out and replaced the incorrect springs at no charge.
Closed Thread

Tags
garage, called, door, villages, day

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.