Santos Bike Shop and The Villages Amenities

Closed Thread
Old 12-21-2013, 04:19 PM
Default Santos Bike Shop and The Villages Amenities

I had a real bad boating mishap a few years back that put me on crutches for a couple of years. During that time I gained 80 pounds. January 1 of last year, determined to lose that fat, I bought a Giant Cypress model hybrid bike from Santos Bike Shop which is at 8900 S. Hwy 441 - about 12 miles north of the Villages between Belview and Ocala. I bought my bike there because when you do, they will service it (for free) as many times as you desire during the period that you own the bike. Now for the reason for my post.....

I love The Villages and the amenities we enjoy. During 2013 I ate right, starting taking supplements, cut out wheat products, went to our neighborhood pool for regular upper body exercise, and rode my Giant hybrid bike on the multi-modal trails for lower body and aerobic exercise. Result: I lost 40 pounds in 2013. I plan to lose the other 40 pounds in 2014. During the year Chris Fernandez of Santos Bike Shop and his folks tuned my bike 3 times for free ($105 value). I just got my bike back today after a tuneup and a battery replacement for my computer (tells me how far/how long I rode, average speed, etc.) on my bike. Cost: a whopping $3.17 -they charged me only for the battery. Each time I go in Santos Bike Shop I am given encouragement and tips on how to use my bike to improve my fitness. What nice folks!! Not to mention the hundreds of miles of clean and safe multimodal Village trails on which we can ride, walk, run, or skate to get in better shape and of course, the pool.

Too often we fail to appreciate that this is indeed the golden years and we have a lot to be thankful for in The Villages. Also, not all vendors in our area are crooked. All you have to do is to see one of those young soldiers (many with small kids) returning with no legs to know we have a lot to be thankful for. I thank God for every day he gives me with good health. Merry Christmas to all.

A changed diet, the bike and its computer and the pool have been the key to my success. Any nutrition tips or weight loss wisdom or fitness insight that has been successful for you will be appreciated.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:45 PM
Veteran member

Mad props to you for making the choice to improve your health!

We are blessed to have many excellent Local Bike Shops within the area and certainly Chris and the fine folks at Santos Trailhead Bike Shop are one of them. As is:

Village Cycles
Wildwood Cyclery
Greenway Bicycles
Brick City Bikes
Ocala Bike Center
Top Gear Bikes
Sun Cycles
Inverness Bicycles

Peddle Hard!
Old 12-21-2013, 07:57 PM

Congratulations on your continued success improving your health!

Regarding Santos Bike Shop in Ocala, I agree with your accolades for them. My wife and I use them for service on our recumbent trikes. Although we didn't purchase the trikes from them, because they don't sell these, they provide outstanding service to us, always.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:45 PM

Good job, was 280 now 210.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:37 AM
Default Weight Loss

JerryP: Wow! 70 pound loss is awesome! I am kind of on a plateau so I am going to do two things to persuade my body to start giving it up again. (1) Interval training on my bike (wide open for a while, then slower, than wide open, etc.) Hope to sweat more on my rides. Then cut out eating after 6p.m. Hopefully, I will be able to match your accomplishment by the end of 2014 and be down to my appropriate weight. Congratulations. I know that took a lot of discipline.

Did you lose the 70 pounds exclusively by dieting or with a combination of diet and exercise? How long did it take you to lose all that weight?
Old 12-22-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzg8tor View Post
I had a real bad boating mishap a few years back that put me on crutches for a couple of years. During that time I gained 80 pounds. January 1 of last year, determined to lose that fat, I bought a Giant Cypress model hybrid bike from Santos Bike Shop which is at 8900 S. Hwy 441 - about 12 miles north of the Villages between Belview and Ocala. I bought my bike there because when you do, they will service it (for free) as many times as you desire during the period that you own the bike. Now for the reason for my post.....

I love The Villages and the amenities we enjoy. During 2013 I ate right, starting taking supplements, cut out wheat products, went to our neighborhood pool for regular upper body exercise, and rode my Giant hybrid bike on the multi-modal trails for lower body and aerobic exercise. Result: I lost 40 pounds in 2013. I plan to lose the other 40 pounds in 2014. During the year Chris Fernandez of Santos Bike Shop and his folks tuned my bike 3 times for free ($105 value). I just got my bike back today after a tuneup and a battery replacement for my computer (tells me how far/how long I rode, average speed, etc.) on my bike. Cost: a whopping $3.17 -they charged me only for the battery. Each time I go in Santos Bike Shop I am given encouragement and tips on how to use my bike to improve my fitness. What nice folks!! Not to mention the hundreds of miles of clean and safe multimodal Village trails on which we can ride, walk, run, or skate to get in better shape and of course, the pool.

Too often we fail to appreciate that this is indeed the golden years and we have a lot to be thankful for in The Villages. Also, not all vendors in our area are crooked. All you have to do is to see one of those young soldiers (many with small kids) returning with no legs to know we have a lot to be thankful for. I thank God for every day he gives me with good health. Merry Christmas to all.

A changed diet, the bike and its computer and the pool have been the key to my success. Any nutrition tips or weight loss wisdom or fitness insight that has been successful for you will be appreciated.
Congrats on your hard work and dedication to getting fit!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.