Saving seats at town squares

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Platinum member

If you bring your own chairs, that should avoid the rest of the problems.

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 02-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky3 View Post
If you bring your own chairs, that should avoid the rest of the problems.
Absolutely. So simple.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:54 PM

Funny someone mentioned cruise ships. We just got back from a cruise on Princess lines . They also are cracking down on seat savers. They had one deck attendant check on the empty "saved" lounges. They would ask people near the lounges if they were being used. If the answer was no they left a note stating the time and saying they would remove any personal property in 30 minutes and it could be retrieved in lost and found. Halleluja!!! I don't know why people think they can reserve seats in a public place. It's inconsiderate.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,184 Times in 1,936 Posts

My impression from the OP is she was referring to seat saving a few hours before the start of the event. Once the event starts, I would hope when folks get up from their chairs to dance, their chairs will still be available for them when they go back to them.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:20 PM

As far as mobility problems, I sympathize with you but almost half the people living in TV has some sort of mobility issue. Just look around everywhere you go, and especially at all of the RAT tags attached to golf carts on the golf courses. I don't feel anyone should be allowed to save seats and why would someone think it is their "right" to do so?
Old 02-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9eileen9 View Post
Well done by the Supervisor!!! You have a right to reserve seats? Give me a break! We watched a lady "rope" off with ribbons 9 seats at Spanish Springs about 3 hours before the music began. We went back there at 5:45pm and saw that MOST of the seats were still "roped" off but no one sitting in them. That group finally arrived at 6pm and were annoyed that ALL 9 of the seats were not there waiting for them.
NO SAVING OF SEATS is a great idea. Again, well done by the Supervisor.
It seems like they save seats at Spanish Springs more often. I don't get it. How do they get away with it?

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 02-07-2013, 10:36 PM
Veteran member

My wife and I went to Panera this morning for breakfast and took a walk around LSL around 9AM. We observed the "privilaged" out there roping off seats at that time. We came back around 3:45 with our bag chairs cause we knew that LSL would be crowded. One of the 2 sets of "reserved chairs" of 6 seats were empty till at least 4:30 when the staff came by to remove the ropes and seat savers so that others could use them.

HATS OFF TO THE STAFF AT LSL that removed the seat savers. If you want to get there early and get good seats, your butts should be in the seats. If you need special accommodations because of mobility issues or other issues, BRING YOUR OWN CHAIRS!!!

Sorry to the OP but no sympathy from me either.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:03 PM

Hooray for the Event staff! I believe it is about time that a STOP is put to saving seats. Not too long ago, my husband and I were at LSL for an event for which seats were at a premium...A whole row of people sitting "up front" got up, left jackets, water bottles and other paraphernalia to "save the seats" and left the area...My husband and I stood for a while and then went to the Lighthouse to eat...and who do you suppose were all sitting at the restaurant, eating???? Yep...That whole row of people! So...while people were being forced to stand, that whole row of chairs was left empty by this selfish group preventing folks from being able to sit and enjoy the entertainment...so I say...Good for the Villages for starting to address this problem.....None of us is "entitled" and it would be a good thing in my opinion if folks stopped being selfish and started thinking beyond themselves....
Old 02-07-2013, 11:43 PM
Sage

We've lived here going on 4 years and this has been a HUGE problem that needed to be addressed! Saving seats anywhere is rude and disrespectful in my opinion. We've attended a church where folks will "save" a whole row for their friends/family who might get there late. Don't get it! "IF" someone wants to be sure to have a seat, then I agree that their body should be occupying that seat/chair.

IF you need to go and eat...then by all means do so but bring your own chairs down, scope out the area that best suits you and you're set without a fuss.

KUDOS to The Villages staff for taking a pro-active part in taking care of this issue!!!!

Sorry no sympathies here....and I too have mobility issues!!
Old 02-07-2013, 11:57 PM

Well I must confess that we too had our seat pads removed from our seats this evening. My husband put them on the chairs about 3:45. I got delayed at the beauty shop so I was meeting him @ the square @ 4:00. He went to get a drink, stopped for a couple minutes to talk to someone and when he got back to the chairs our pads had been tossed in the bushes. We are new here at TV and did not know this was an issue. This is the very first time we have ever even used seat pads @ the square. I understand what everyone here is saying about saving seats, we did not feel we were being disrespectful. However, how can we patronize the Bait Shacks, etc. or even dance if our seats are going to be gone when we come back to them. Some of the line dancing goes on for many songs without dancers leaving the floor to go back to their seats. I have never seen their seat pads removed. It's a difficult problem to address. Maybe TV needs to make a public announcement regarding saving seats, and by all means, get the info out to newcomers as we did not know this had been addressed before. It all turned out OK...I ran home, got a couple of chairs and put them up. It was a great night...until the rain came down!
Thanks to the entertainers!
Old 02-08-2013, 02:57 AM
Gold member

After all…we are adults. There are always going to be "childish" adults who cause problems:[/QUOTE]

Ironic
Old 02-08-2013, 05:28 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

Hats off to the Event Staff who remove the 'seat savers'. I know several posted about losing seats while dancing ( "However, how can we patronize the Bait Shacks, etc. or even dance if our seats are going to be gone when we come back to them. Some of the line dancing goes on for many songs without dancers leaving the floor to go back to their seats. I have never seen their seat pads removed.") but not one single post said anyone actually lost a seat while dancing. All put their 'seat savers' out before the event started (3:45 PM and the bands typically start at 5 PM). If you go early to get a good spot, that is your choice and maybe a good idea - stay in that spot, occupy it - don't try to 'save' it. Once the dancing starts, yes there will be empty chairs while peeps dance but no Event Staff are taking away 'seat savers' once the music starts either.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,509 Times in 1,909 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Well said Bryan.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:59 AM
Sage

It is inconvenient, but we go down at 3:30 to get the best seating left at that time. When I see roped off seats it is wrong, but when they are still roped and empty hours later, that is disgusting and it can only be viewed as they think they are better than the rest of us. I praise the staff for stopping this practice.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:14 AM
Veteran member
Default Chair Saving

We have not been to the squares since last St Patty's day because of the chair saving. Stopped going to the resturants also. If TV is stopping the "chair saving" we will return.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.