Sawgrass Grove Issues

Closed Thread
Old 03-28-2023, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Another example of nobody goes to Sawgrass, it’s too crowded.

Wife and I love Sawgrass much more than the squares
The beauty of TV is that there is something for everyone
Old 03-29-2023, 07:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,686 Times in 972 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrento19 View Post
The beauty of TV is that there is something for everyone
Absolutely. If everything new were the same as everything old, I'd have no reason to leave my neighborhood.
I live in Poinciana, just north of 466A. When we were shopping around there was nothing like Edna's, or the Hogeye trail. Now there is. I appreciate that.
Old 03-29-2023, 07:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonRich View Post
Went to Sawgrass Grove last night. There were a few things that were unexpected.

First I got change back at the bar. Do they charge a sales tax on a $3.99 beer? Different county I know but why couldn't they build the sales tax into the cost of the beer to make things easier? I got a drawer full of change that I never use and don't really want. We don't get change back in Spanish Springs. A minor complaint I know.

We went for the Happy Hour and were surprised that the Happy Hour ended not started at 5 PM! Wouldn't it make more sense to standardize the times at all "squares"? Wasn't that the excuse for shortening the two hour Happy Hour at Spanish Springs? The beers are one size only BTW (small). Semi-major complaint.

But biggest surprise of all was the simple orientation of the square. It was impossible to watch the entertainment without having the setting sun burn your eyes out. They built these enormous sun and rain sails to protect the audience but they do not. You pretty much look into the sun during the entire performance. The sails are too far back and there is a huge gap over the boxcar and the stage roof.

So my thoughts are if you have an absolutely blank sheet of paper to build your brand new entertainment venue you should be able to easily orient the structures to take advantage of the physical laws of nature. The Druids did it. Why can't the Villages? Have the stage on the NE side not the SW side. This is March. In the summer it is going to get really miserable.
Life is so brutal here isn’t It ?

Old 03-29-2023, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Hey! You know what would be nice? Leave the change on the bar for the bartender. You could call it a gratuity or a "tip". A small "thank you" for simply being nice for performing his/her/it's job.
i usually just toss it in the extra change jar/plate, & leave tip with the server. you are correct, good service deserves a good tip.
Old 03-29-2023, 02:02 PM
Veteran member
Default Change

Quote:
Went to Sawgrass Grove last night. There were a few things that were unexpected.

First I got change back at the bar. Do they charge a sales tax on a $3.99 beer? Different county I know but why couldn't they build the sales tax into the cost of the beer to make things easier? I got a drawer full of change that I never use and don't really want. We don't get change back in Spanish Springs. A minor complaint I know.

We went for the Happy Hour and were surprised that the Happy Hour ended not started at 5 PM! Wouldn't it make more sense to standardize the times at all "squares"? Wasn't that the excuse for shortening the two hour Happy Hour at Spanish Springs? The beers are one size only BTW (small). Semi-major complaint.

But biggest surprise of all was the simple orientation of the square. It was impossible to watch the entertainment without having the setting sun burn your eyes out. They built these enormous sun and rain sails to protect the audience but they do not. You pretty much look into the sun during the entire performance. The sails are too far back and there is a huge gap over the boxcar and the stage roof.

So my thoughts are if you have an absolutely blank sheet of paper to build your brand new entertainment venue you should be able to easily orient the structures to take advantage of the physical laws of nature. The Druids did it. Why can't the Villages? Have the stage on the NE side not the SW side. This is March. In the summer it is going to get really miserable.
That's a different take, someone who would rather have the business steal their change, (a lot of them do that now,) than give it to the customer. I'll take my change thank you. Oh and I bet if you use a card there is a surcharge for that too.
Old 03-30-2023, 12:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
I agree on the happy hour. At Spanish Springs, Lake Sumter, and Brownwood, the entertainment runs from 5-9 and Happy Hour is from 5-6 - so the first hour of entertainment is Happy Hour. At Sawgrass, the entertainment starts at 6 (5 on Saturday and Sunday) but Happy Hour ends at 5 PM.
I never seem to make it to the main squares before 7. Can someone explain what happy hour entails there? Is it just 2 for 1 drinks at the Villages run bar beside the Square?
Old 03-30-2023, 05:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,686 Times in 972 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
I never seem to make it to the main squares before 7. Can someone explain what happy hour entails there? Is it just 2 for 1 drinks at the Villages run bar beside the Square?
I think it's more like $1 off the regular price per drink. Or I may be confusing it with Havana CC.
Old 03-30-2023, 05:51 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 595 Posts

Quote:
According to this, it is 2 for 1 on beer and wine from 5-6 at the squares.

Bar Huts - The Villages Entertainment
Old 03-30-2023, 07:39 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Used to be 2 for 1 on every thing from 5-6 at the bar huts at LSL and BPS. It was 2 hours worth at SS. After the covid pause, happy hour came back as 2 for 1 on beer and wine only between 5-6 at all 3 squares.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:18 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
Used to be 2 for 1 on every thing from 5-6 at the bar huts at LSL and BPS. It was 2 hours worth at SS. After the covid pause, happy hour came back as 2 for 1 on beer and wine only between 5-6 at all 3 squares.
I used to get gas for under $2. Lots of things changed with COVID and Inflation.
Old 04-02-2023, 09:00 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
I used to get gas for under $2. Lots of things changed with COVID and Inflation.
Surprisingly, booze by the bottle has remained pretty stable. Anyway, I was an answering the poster's question.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	HappyHour.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	97759  
Old 04-02-2023, 10:19 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

These are not issues, but preferences. We have been there several times and didn't note any of the concerns. I guess everyone would have their own list of things they would have done differently. It's different and nice.
Old 04-02-2023, 10:50 AM
Default Brought the toilet in.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureBoy View Post
I find the acoustics at Sawgrass to be very poor.
You made me laugh..... my husband tells the story of this grandmother, many, many years ago... in Kentucky...... she did not fancy change.....

Sitting outside eating one evening, she loudly proclaimed,,,,,,

"well, we have finally come full circle....... we are eating in the yard and $$hhttng in the house"

Story has it she never gave up her "chamber pot", ever.....

I will never forget this.
Old 04-02-2023, 11:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
They used to say that 2 for 1 on mixed drinks was coming back but no more.
Old 04-02-2023, 02:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
- Could be oriented that way so the sun is not in the performer's eyes
- Could be oriented that way to give a view of the nice Florida sunsets
- Could be oriented that way so the sound travels into the parking lot rather than towards neighboring homes
Could be they could care less.
Closed Thread

Tags
hour, back, change, happy, sun

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.