Scanners & Prices

Closed Thread
Old 08-24-2022, 04:20 AM
Veteran member

I am just old enough to remember the small grocery stores when the owner did everything on paper and pencil, back then a lot of people did not really know math as they were not schooled and came from the old country, you had to trust the proprietor. When computers came out and even before they were in supermarkets in stores the old expression always was, garbage in and garbage out so even today there are plenty of errors. What is really shocking is that when we go through the scanners at the airports there have been many tests where 75% of weapons are not found. Now that really scares me. I'm not so worried about 5 or 10 cents being overcharged
Old 08-24-2022, 05:33 AM
Veteran member

Publix gives you the item for free if it scans wrong...pay attention!
Old 08-24-2022, 05:33 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,171 Times in 897 Posts

I make it a mental exercise to remember prices of my items and checking them at self checkout. The attendant has adjusted the price for me when different.
Old 08-24-2022, 05:36 AM
Default Shelf price vs scanned price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
I'm just questioning the shelve price over the registered scanners.

I remembered a shelve price once and notice it was wrong when checking out.
I mention it and they adjusted the item price that was marked on the shelve for me.
You are very wise to check the scanned price vs shelf tag.

I worked in a corporate office for a large grocery chain. The shelf tag is generated when the plan o gram is created and the shelf is set. Price changes are generated weekly as the ad changes. They are entered into the computer by UPC number and scan at the checkout. While NEW Tags are generated for the shelf. Typically this happens mid week when the ad changes. (Late, at the end of the day). Often times the new shelf tag is missed on some items- OR an old tag is not removed when sale is over - Human error.

It pays to watch your prices as your items are scanned. Same as everywhere else. If a tag is visible with a lower price, the lower price will be honored. You WIN!
Old 08-24-2022, 05:39 AM

I sit down after leaving register and check receipt. Winn Dixxie is infamous for not scanning right. That's why I don't like chit chatting with cashier so I can watch what she is scanning.

Also, another reason why I like self checkout.
Old 08-24-2022, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Also. sometimes sale prices do not scan the item on sale correctly.
I’ll second that. I keep sale items in a separate corner of my cart to make sure they get rung correctly. In my experience there is about a 50% error rate here. This happens in any store.
Old 08-24-2022, 06:42 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
And then there is stuff like fresh fruit and veggies where you are charged by the weight of your purchase. Or how about a place like Lowel’s where you can buy individual nuts and bolts that don’t have a bar code? What really gets me is they claim self checkout helps with their labor costs, but they have workers lurking around the self checkout area to help customers. Keep the full service registers open!
No, they need more self service registers. It’s so much faster. Only the boomer’s who didn’t grow up with technology seem to have a problem with the self checkouts.
Old 08-24-2022, 07:26 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I make it a mental exercise to remember prices of my items and checking them at self checkout. The attendant has adjusted the price for me when different.
My memory is not that good, so I just keep a rough running total. Then, if it is more than 10% more or less at the scanner I check for anything that looks wrong.
Old 08-24-2022, 08:30 AM

Perhaps if there was a penalty for overcharging. How about refunding the overcharge, and then additional penalty of 10x the error, up to $10 more, per item.
Maybe then we won't be overcharged as often.
Old 08-24-2022, 09:42 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,171 Times in 897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingjunior View Post
I sit down after leaving register and check receipt. Winn Dixxie is infamous for not scanning right. That's why I don't like chit chatting with cashier so I can watch what she is scanning.

Also, another reason why I like self checkout.
I was given the wrong change twice over there. Grrrrr
Old 08-24-2022, 04:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Exclamation The Price IS There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
And then there is stuff like fresh fruit and veggies where you are charged by the weight of your purchase. Or how about a place like Lowel’s where you can buy individual nuts and bolts that don’t have a bar code? What really gets me is they claim self checkout helps with their labor costs, but they have workers lurking around the self checkout area to help customers. Keep the full service registers open!
Those nuts and bolts may not have a bar code but they DO have a numerical code incised on the piece itself. If the employee puts the items in a bag, he writes the code on the bag. When you enter the code at checkout it asks you how many pieces and the price pops up.
Old 08-24-2022, 05:46 PM

Always check your receipts for correct pricing at Publix. Publix will give you the item free if you are charged the
wrong price. Totally free.

It's worth checking.
Old 08-25-2022, 09:03 AM

I have the ability to remember pricing (not much else lol) and I would say the scanners are accurate. I self check out just to test myself.
Old 08-25-2022, 09:51 AM
Default Publix Policy

Quote:
I'm just questioning the shelve price over the registered scanners.

I remembered a shelve price once and notice it was wrong when checking out.
I mention it and they adjusted the item price that was marked on the shelve for me.
I might point out to you and some other readers here that if that situation happens at Publix stores, their policy it to give that item to you for FREE.

My wife has called Publix headquarters in Lakeland before to verify this policy. We have had pricing differences happen more than once, and a call to corporate makes local managers remember that policy.

It is not so much about getting the item for free (although that is nice) as it is about them mis-charging the next guy too! Publix feels that getting the item for free when it's charged wrong makes the stores accountable for a pricing mistake, which is imho a gracious offering to Publix consumers. I wish that more stores took that approach!
Old 08-25-2022, 10:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,162 Times in 834 Posts

Gas pumps is another concern on fair pricing.
When gas was over $5.00 a gallon, those dollar and cent meters who spinning ever faster.
Closed Thread

Tags
scanners, scan, shopping, prices, read

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.