Screening in tiny front porch?

Old 05-23-2024, 03:38 PM
Default Screened porch

Check out the Charlotte model for sale, VLS#242580, on The Villages web site. It has a screened porch. There are photos from outside and inside the porch. Looks like a nice cozy spot to enjoy morning coffee or evening cocktail.
Old 05-24-2024, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas View Post
Check out the Charlotte model for sale, VLS#242580, on The Villages web site. It has a screened porch. There are photos from outside and inside the porch. Looks like a nice cozy spot to enjoy morning coffee or evening cocktail.
Thank you that is exactly our house!

We did book with Joes Screens. Came highly recommended and we had a good feeling about them. Already submitted the arc.

We had one quote that was over double of everyone else because he said we needed to install another electrical outlet outside the screen room because we would be enclosing our current outlet inside the screenroom.. Our linai has just the internal oulet. Nobody else said that . and never heard of doing that. We will see if the arc says we need to do that...

Last edited by BubblesandPat; 05-24-2024 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-25-2024, 07:33 AM
Default Screening in tiny front porch?

I'm so happy with my decision to screen in my front porch area. It keeps birds out (they kept trying to make nests in a wall hanging out there, and were leaving droppings. I also used to have issues with mud dobbers (wasps that make mud nests on walls). Those problems are now solved, and I think it has enhanced the appearance of my house. It's a bonus that when packages are delivered and placed in the screened-in area, no one can really see them from the road. I had Cook Aluminum do the installation (ask for Thumper). The number is (352) 342 7809. I'm very happy with the quality of their work.
Old 05-26-2024, 09:30 AM
Platinum member

We just screened in our front entry and love it. We kept getting wasps and even snails. Made a mess on the walls.
It’s so much cleaner now.

It looks amazing and wish we had done it sooner. We had tiled the floor previously.

T & D did ours and they did an excellent job.
Old 05-26-2024, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,453 Times in 2,343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblesandPat View Post
Thank you that is exactly our house!

We did book with Joes Screens. Came highly recommended and we had a good feeling about them. Already submitted the arc.

We had one quote that was over double of everyone else because he said we needed to install another electrical outlet outside the screen room because we would be enclosing our current outlet inside the screenroom.. Our linai has just the internal oulet. Nobody else said that . and never heard of doing that. We will see if the arc says we need to do that...
I had the exact same situation when I enclosed ours, I had an electrician add the outlet outside of the screened area, glad I did as we use that outlet all the time and this way we do not have a cord going through the doorway.
Old 05-26-2024, 12:36 PM

Make sure they do the tighter screening material that tiny bugs can’t get through. I think it’s called 20/20? Several neighbors near us who’ve had this done said ARC approval wasn’t required for screened porches. Maybe it depends on the district? I’m in 13. We will definitely check on that before proceeding. We got one quote a few months ago, and the electrical outlet wasn’t mentioned, but it’s definitely something we’d want to do as part of the job.

Last edited by Nana2Teddy; 05-26-2024 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-27-2024, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana2Teddy View Post
Make sure they do the tighter screening material that tiny bugs can’t get through. I think it’s called 20/20? Several neighbors near us who’ve had this done said ARC approval wasn’t required for screened porches. Maybe it depends on the district? I’m in 13. We will definitely check on that before proceeding. We got one quote a few months ago, and the electrical outlet wasn’t mentioned, but it’s definitely something we’d want to do as part of the job.
Yes we got the 20 20 screening. We may add the electric at a later date. Just didn't seem worth the additional 1500 to just be able to put up christmas lights.

You might wanted to double check ARC as we are in 13 also and were told get approved as it will be required and asked for if we sell.. May as well do it now!
Old 05-27-2024, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Yes we got the 20 20 screening. We may add the electric at a later date. Just didn't seem worth the additional 1500 to just be able to put up christmas lights.

You might wanted to double check ARC as we are in 13 also and were told get approved as it will be required and asked for if we sell.. May as well do it now!
Wow! $1500! That’s crazy! We got a quote recently from Pike’s to have 3 new electrical outlets installed in our house and lanai, and the total for all 3 was under $1000. We are going to get more quotes, but it sure makes $1500 for one outlet sound like highway robbery, lol. We will definitely get ARC approval. Thanks!
Old 05-28-2024, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana2Teddy View Post
Wow! $1500! That’s crazy! We got a quote recently from Pike’s to have 3 new electrical outlets installed in our house and lanai, and the total for all 3 was under $1000. We are going to get more quotes, but it sure makes $1500 for one outlet sound like highway robbery, lol. We will definitely get ARC approval. Thanks!
We are in 13 also. When i checked with ARC, I was originally told no approval needed. I said are you SURE?? She checked with someone else and said, oops, yes, 13 needs approval for screened front porches.
We are waiting for ours to start - the decorative door was a 4 week backorder, so it should start in June.
Old 05-29-2024, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneko View Post
We are in 13 also. When i checked with ARC, I was originally told no approval needed. I said are you SURE?? She checked with someone else and said, oops, yes, 13 needs approval for screened front porches.
We are waiting for ours to start - the decorative door was a 4 week backorder, so it should start in June.
Thanks for this clarification. We were also told the decorative door would be a longer wait time. We are still deciding whether or not to do the screening. There’s pluses and minuses for us. We will be obstructing a great “nosy neighbors” view of our street from where we sit and eat at our kitchen counter, lol, and hide our pretty front door, but it will cut down on afternoon sun, allow us to open our front door for a cross breeze, and keep our porch cleaner with less bugs/mud daubers, so we gotta choose our priorities. 🤔😂
Old 05-29-2024, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneko View Post
Exactly our experience...our door is about a month too. But we understand ARC approval takes about 2 weeks. We aren't in a huge hurry..would like it completed by fall.
Old 05-29-2024, 04:27 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

We did the 20/20 screening and love it!!

Tags
porch, front, screening, sit, cross

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.