SECO Notification 2/5/2021

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2021, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msilagy View Post
I have a 6ft bush in front of my electric box. Even tho it's a villa and faces my neighbors driveway it is my electric box so I trimmed the bush 3 ft back. It doesn't look great but a technician could go there to read the box. Just because in courtyard villas that area may be the responsibility of the neighbor - it's MY electric box! I am not the type of personality that looks to others to do my bidding!
I believe the boxes referenced by SECO are the ones in the ground, not house meters. I had to take down a crape myrtle because it was 18" away as well as some flowers. It's not the end of the world. Just do it. Pretend it's like having to wear a mask. 🙄
Old 02-06-2021, 08:05 AM

Been there, Done that - just one week after moving into my home in Nov.2020 - I received a letter from Seco - had to spend more that $100 to remove a bush that probably had been there more than 20 years - Noticed though that there was a transformer with a "Village" fence less than 3 feet behind it - go figure -
Old 02-06-2021, 08:09 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom53 View Post
It's actually an OSHA requirement (Occupational Safety and Health Administration), who's purpose is to ensure worker safety.
Yes it is and OSHA doesnt mince words or actions. If you or a company has a safety violation you will be fined big time and they can even close construction down on a house. I know thats unrelated, just trying to show the power they have.
So,youre told to trim bushes, move things a certain distance. How about you just do it and quit arguing about everything
And they dont have to tell you sweetly either. If their blunt words hurt your feelings then you should stay inside and lock your doors. The world isnt always going to cater to your feelings
Old 02-06-2021, 08:40 AM

We also got that. I think it was a blanket distribution because we actually maintain a passage way thru the shrubs that was open when I sprayed for weeks and bugs last week without any difficulty getting in there.
Old 02-06-2021, 08:50 AM
Veteran member

There are a lot of utilities that unfortunately don't spend the money that they are required to spend in cutting trees and maintaining lines. And there are also a lot of people that are foolish and plan to hedges directly against utility boxes whether the one foot size or the three foot size. About 15 years ago the electricity in my house went out in half the house. Interestingly my house power line went under the road across the street to my neighbor whose box the power company opened up only after taking power saws to the hedges all around it. No complaints from the neighbor who I would imagine re planted hedges the next week
Old 02-06-2021, 08:54 AM
Veteran member
Default More on trimming

You guys in Sumter may or may not be lucky, but definitely in Leesburg fire district trees must be trimmed that overhang roads to at least 15 ft height and the Florida department will come around and give you a fine after proper notice if you don't get it done. It's not the townships problem but yours
Old 02-06-2021, 09:30 AM

SECO threatened to cut service to our house even after large bushes were trimmed back 30"from the affected area to provide access to utility workers. SECO mandated that we totally remove the bushes (which were more than 8' high and had been trimmed back). A second notice from SECO said that since we hadn't trimmed them 36" back, we should take the bushes out in 14 days or we wouldn't have service. Very disappointing experience
Old 02-06-2021, 09:36 AM

Where was the developer when the homes were built? Didn't they confer with SECO as to placement of meters? Boxes? Maybe they are splitting the fines?
Old 02-06-2021, 09:49 AM
Default Seco email

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcuse View Post
This morning I received a text message followed by an email which said Seco would be inspecting transformers & meters in my area for obstructions. It said to remove plants, shrubs and fences from areas near equipment and if crews are unable to access equipment my service may be disconnected.

Fortunately I do not have one of those large electrical boxes on my property which require 10' clearance on all sides. However, I live in a villa and my meter is on the outside garage wall which faces my neighbor's driveway. Along that wall in front of the meter is a 5' high x 3' wide hedge but the meter is just above the top of the hedge and clearly visible. The problem could be accessing the meter if work is needed and the SECO clearance instructions say that the meter requires 3' clearance on both sides and in front of the meter which essentially means the hedge must come out. So if my neighbor's hedge doesn't come out my service could be disconnected.

My frustration is that when these villas were constructed in 2003 every villa had a hedge planted along the garage wall obviously for aesthetic purposes. I assume the codes and clearance requirements were known by the contractors and inspectors, although those hedges were likely 1 gallon plants at the time and nobody noticed. I hope SECO would at least notify the residents if these hedges are actually an obstruction before we all proceed to begin tearing them out and/or before they pull the plug. Below is a link to the requirements provided by SECO. I plan to call SECO to clarify but everyone likely may have the same question.

Keep It Clear – SECO Energy
I also received an email from SECO. The transformer feeding my house and my neighbors is on the developer's land . They maintain it and I have no ownership for what they do. Let us know what SECO says.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:04 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.R.I.T.S. View Post
I believe the boxes referenced by SECO are the ones in the ground, not house meters. I had to take down a crape myrtle because it was 18" away as well as some flowers. It's not the end of the world. Just do it. Pretend it's like having to wear a mask. 🙄
Meters too...
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	meter.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	88030  
Old 02-06-2021, 10:05 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts
Default Why ever get involved between SECO & neighbor's issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
That’s your neighbors easement area and it must conform to deed restrictions. Talk to your neighbor first and show him the email. If that doesn’t work send him a letter then bring the planting into compliance. It is your property.
Wouldn't It be more prudent to just let the neighbor deal with it since it's not your on property or responsibility.As long as you know you are complying Seco's requirements for their customers just let the neighbor deal with his or her non compliance. Might be better and safer for you to just stay out Of getting between the neighbor and SECO?? Don't get involved, they Probably sent that notice to everyone I know we all got them in our village.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,911 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
They can fine you , but they cant turn your power off.
There are priorities mandated by state regulators based upon the use classification of every address which has power. Every house in TV starts out as residential. In order to have a residential house not be able to be turned off, paperwork must be filled out with the utility company with documentation to prove to the regulators that the house has special needs. Also, that documentation must be updated periodically, like annually. Utilities have thousands of customers who have special needs and actually don't even pay, which is reflected in the your rate per KW hour, (you suckers paying for those parasites who get free electricity)

If you have serious complaints, stop whining here and talk to your state regulator who oversees (definition of regulator if you need help) about the behaviors of the utility, and their fines and their requirements.

Regulated utilities have to follow a bucket full of regulations starting in the 1930s through today, which means fines to them if you don't cooperate. . . and i don't think they want to be fined due to your little 100x125 fiefdom. . .

utility guy
Old 02-06-2021, 10:31 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromNY View Post
Where was the developer when the homes were built? Didn't they confer with SECO as to placement of meters? Boxes? Maybe they are splitting the fines?
Old 02-06-2021, 10:40 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn Putt View Post
We also got that. I think it was a blanket distribution because we actually maintain a passage way thru the shrubs that was open when I sprayed for weeks and bugs last week without any difficulty getting in there.
I think it was a blanket one too ! Surely if they have a specific issue with a home owner OR with the developers of the villages there would be more specific communication than what we ( and most we've talked to in our village) received in this blanket notice !!??
Old 02-06-2021, 10:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Mine was recently redone. Sanded, Painted & new Numbers. Yes I had to remove my plantings & bushes as. they were to close. Having worked for a utility on Long Island I can understand for sure. Safety first. Do I like looking at the 3 boxes nope, but the rules are the rules.

Tags
seco, meter, hedge, clearance, wall

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.